Monday, April 14, 2008

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

Oh Canada: Jason MacDonald and Sam Stout UFC 83 radio (Audio)

Posted: 14 Apr 2008 08:39 AM CDT

Jason MacDonald Sam Stout

Props: SportsNet.ca

Definitely worth a listen: McDonald talks Joe Doerksen and Stout waxes Rich Clementi.

‘Rush’ breaks down Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra (Video) and more

Posted: 14 Apr 2008 08:04 AM CDT

Georges “Rush” St. Pierre is looking to avenge his UFC 69: “Shootout” loss to Matt "The Terror" Serra when he faces the New Yorker in less than a week at UFC 83: “Serra vs. St. Pierre 2″ at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, on April 19.

We’ve all seen the highlights from their first encounter by now more so than we’d probably like … and that includes St. Pierre himself — it was an unthinkable (and remarkable) upset.

In the video St. Pierre breaks down his loss to Serra with Sportsnet's “Showdown” Joe Ferraro.

This is only a quick snip of Sportsnet's coverage as they will be showcasing an entire two-hour live behind the scenes UFC 83 'Countdown Canada' from inside the Bell Centre from 8pm to 10 p.m. ET on fight night.

In the meantime enjoy:

Not to be outdone, Serra also shares his thoughts on the upset of St. Pierre and much more.

After knocking out the Canadian he still faces the constant criticism that his opponent is a heavy favorite going into their rematch at the Bell Centre in Montreal.

Serra responds to Canada's own 'Showdown' Joe.

Here's a snip”

"I'm the guy in there…it's my ass, I'm the guy that's gonna make things happen. There's only two of us in the cage, all of the critics are on the outside of the cage … I'm in control of my own destiny in there."

Will Matt Serra prove the critics and analysts wrong or will 'Rush' put on another clinic like the one he put on against Matt Hughes to prove to all that he is at the top of the deep talent pool of the UFC's Welterweight division?

Only time will tell –- we'll have an answer to this question in about a week's time.

For now here’s another video of “The Terror:”

Remember that MMAmania.com will provide LIVE round-by-round, blow-by-blow coverage of UFC 83 this Saturday … definitely hit us up before, during and after the pay-per-view (PPV) event for the best coverage on the Web.

Randy Couture: Fight with Minotauro Nogueira ‘just doesn’t make sense’

Posted: 13 Apr 2008 11:38 AM CDT

ufc 68 randy couture

Props: 15Rounds.com

Quoteworthy:

“… I'm 44 and looking at the end of my career. I want to fight the best guy in the world and be considered the best guy as well. That fight is the only way that will happen. It doesn't make sense – the UFC is criticizing me for not fighting (Antonio Rodrigo) Nogueira, and I have a lot of respect for Nogueira. I think he's a great fighter, but he's been beat by Fedor twice. That fight doesn't make sense for me right now. If I have more fights left in me after Fedor, maybe I'll fight Nogueira then, but right now, it just doesn't make sense.”

Embattled UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture — who still holds that designation because of legal reasons — shares his thoughts on a fight with interim UFC heavyweight champion, (Antonio Rodrigo) Nogueira. “Minotauro” called out “The Natural” after he defeated Tim Sylvia to earn the vacated belt; however, it appears that Couture (for now) is hellbent on fighting one fighter and one fighter only, Fedor Emelianenko.

Hunt vs. Schilt: K-1 2008 World Grand Prix quick results

Posted: 13 Apr 2008 11:11 AM CDT

Mark Hunt, New Zealand's granite-chinned goliath, returned from an 18-month hiatus following the demise of PRIDE FC to face current K-1 super-heavyweight champion Semmy Schilt at the K-1 World Grand Prix in Kanagawa, Japan earlier this morning.

This was scheduled to be Hunt’s only appearance for K-1 before returning to mixed martial arts on May 8 under the new DREAM promotion.

After winning the K-1 World Grand Prix by knocking out heavily-favored Jerome LeBanner in 2001, Hunt eventually transitioned to the world of mixed martial arts in 2004, competing for PRIDE FC and finishing with a record of 5-3.

Standing in his way was the 6′11″ Semmy “Hightower” Schilt, who won the title of super-heavyweight champion after outlasting Mighty Mo at the 2007 World Grand Prix in 2007. Schilt has been on an absolute tear as of late having gone 12-0 with 5 (T)KO’s since a decision loss to Hong Man Choi in 2006.

Was Hunt able to reclaim the title he held so long ago? Or did Hightower ruin the Islander’s homecoming?

Full results (and spoilers for those still waiting to see it) dead ahead. To check out the video click here.

K-1 2008 World Grand Prix from Yokohama Arena in Kanagawa, Japan

Results courtesy of K-1 Official Website:

k2 2008 world grand prix

Urijah Faber: MMA training behind the scenes with ‘The California Kid’ (Video)

Posted: 13 Apr 2008 10:28 AM CDT

For more on Faber — who is set to defend his 145-pound WEC title against Jens Pulver on June 1 at the Arco Arena in Sacramento, Calif. — click here.

UFC jitters: Fact or fiction?

Posted: 13 Apr 2008 10:22 AM CDT

ufc cage
According to feedback from several fighters, stepping into the Octagon for the first time can be a nerve racking experience — it often doesn’t matter if a he has been a pro for five years or 15.

The truth of the matter is that a UFC debut can apparently psyche out even the most grizzled veterans.

Here’s some perspective from UFC fighters past and present via the The Peterborough Examiner on the feeling:

“I fought two great big guys in that tournament. The first guy was 300 pounds, the second was about 290 … I remember being about ready to piss my pants walking into that cage. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to climb the fence and run or stand in there and fight.”

– Randy Couture

“It was an amazing experience. I was so nervous. The thing just went well but I didn’t fight the fight I wanted to … I made a lot of mistakes, but the important thing for me was that I won. That’s all that matters.”

– Georges St. Pierre

“… he had never been as nervous going into a bout, noting how he was not used to seeing himself on billboards around town.”

– Rampage Jackson

“He [Pat Miletich] had been right that this was a fight like any other fight, yet the consequences would be huge.”

– Matt Hughes

“I knew at my age I wasn’t going to get overawed with nerves. What I wasn’t prepared for was I was just so excited whenever I was in there. I didn’t relax when I was throwing the shots. I just realized when it was too late, ‘My God, how can I be tired after the training I’ve done.’ But I was. I was just so uptight… Over here I would be sort of more known for how cool and how calm I am when under pressure. But I just got carried away, the Belfast crowd going wild.”

– Colin Robinson

“It is an entirely different experience than any other fight show I’ve ever been in, anywhere in the world…. It was a strange feeling walking out in front of all those people. I felt very, very much like I didn’t really belong … You’re completely in awe of everything going around you and, for myself anyways, the first time I just didn’t feel like I was prepared for it.”

– Joe Doerksen

Good luck to Jason Day, Cain Velasquez and Brad Morris — all three fighters will be making their respective Octagon debuts at UFC 83: “Serra vs. St. Pierre 2″ less than one week from today at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, on April 19.

It sounds like they might need it.

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com