Friday, June 12, 2009

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com


UFC 99 weigh-in results LIVE for ‘Franklin vs Silva’ from Germany

Posted: 12 Jun 2009 04:40 AM PDT

The official weigh-in event for UFC 99: "The Comeback" is set to take place Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany, this morning (Friday, June 12)!

The first fighter is expected to tip the scale at 10 a.m. ET. It is currently scheduled to air LIVE on UFC.com via streaming video.

As usual, MMAmania.com will provide the latest coverage of the UFC 99 weigh-in below, as well as provide a detailed recap of the festivities as soon as they conclude.

Here are the complete UFC 99 weigh in results:

195 lbs.: Rich Franklin () vs. Wanderlei Silva ()
265 lbs.: Cain Velasquez () vs. Cheick Kongo ()
170 lbs.: Mike Swick () vs. Ben Saunders ()
170 lbs.: Marcus Davis () vs. Dan Hardy ()
155 lbs.: Spencer Fisher () vs. Caol Uno ()
265 lbs.: Mirko Filipovic ()vs. Mustapha Al-Turk ()
155 lbs.: Terry Etim () vs. Justin Buchholz ()
155 lbs.: Dennis Siver () vs. Dale Hartt ()
170 lbs.: Paul Taylor () vs. Peter Sobotta ()
155 lbs.: Paul Kelly () vs. Roli Delgago ()
265 lbs.: Stefan Struve () vs. Denis Stojnic ()
170 lbs.: John Hathaway () vs. Rick Story ()

Note: Fighters are allowed to weigh one pound more than the division limit in non-title fights.

Remember that MMAmania.com will provide LIVE round-by-round, blow-by-blow coverage of the main card action on fight afternoon (Saturday, June 13), which is slated to air beginning at 3 p.m. ET on PPV. The latest quick updates of the live action will begin to flow earlier than that around 1 p.m. ET.

It's going to be an exciting afternoon of fights so don't miss it. And remember to check us out for all the pre, during and post-fight UFC 99 coverage you can handle.

For our complete UFC 99 archive click here.

UFC 99 video: Mirko Cro Crop motivated to prove skeptics wrong against Mustafa Al Turk

Posted: 12 Jun 2009 03:44 AM PDT

Because he knows he’s got the talent:

(You may have to hit the volume button on the player to get sound.)

UFC Quick Quote: Wanderlei Silva wants to punch people in the face, not become a real estate investor

Posted: 11 Jun 2009 07:51 PM PDT

“I love to fight…. I don’t know what’s going to happen after I stop because — you imagine you don’t go into work tomorrow? You’re going to stay at home, it’s finished, Where are you going? Because I’ve had this job my whole life…. If I wanted to have money, I’d buy apartments, now they’re so cheap. But I’m a fighter, not a Realtor(R)….. I really really like to fight. The emotion, every time I go into the Octagon and the crowd (goes) ‘aaah.’ This is priceless. This is unbelievable. Sometimes you hit the guy or the guy hits you and the public goes ‘wow.’ I love this. I don’t like the bad fights where they boo…. Sometimes I put my heart in front of my technique. Now my coach talks to me: ‘Easy, easy, easy’ … this time I need to fight for a win. I need this, I really need this. But it’s possible I’m going to give a show too.”

– Former Pride FC Middleweight Champion Wanderlei Silva talks about the possibility of retirement if things don’t go his way against in Rich Franklin in the main event at UFC 99: “The Comeback” at the Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany, this Saturday, June 13. He tells the Canadian Press that he’s not really interested in a professional life outside the cozy confines of the Octagon. “The Axe Murderer” — who turns 33 years old next month — has lost four of his last five fights, dating back to 2006. He hasn’t been fighting creampuffs; however, a lopsided loss to “Ace” would likely be a huge blow to his fighting future. On the other hand, a win could catapult him into the 185-pound contender mix — his recent public feud with former training partner, old friend and current division champion, Anderson Silva, has got company officials seeing dollar signs. That’s a big money match. So will Silva pull off a win and put himself on a collision course with “The Spider” or will he be flipping foreclosures in the Nevada desert sooner rather than later?

Spencer Fisher plans to notify Caol Uno’s next of chin

Posted: 11 Jun 2009 07:50 PM PDT

Props: Watch Kalib Run

Quoteworthy:

I want to hit (Uno) in the face really hard … his chin seems to be suspect and I am saying that out in the open. I don’t think he will stand with me very long. I think he will revert to try and take me down and I am going to try and catch him with a knee on the way in and I am going try and knock him out that’s my plan. I think his chin is suspect and that’s what I am going to try and exploit.

Spencer Fisher drops a few not-so-subtle hints about his gameplan for his upcoming fight with Caol Uno at UFC 99: "The Comeback" on June 13. “The King” is coming into this fight having won two straight — but will that momentum be enough to spoil the return of the experienced “Uno Shoten” and his allegedly suspect chin? I guess we’ll find out soon enough. Who ya’ got?

Affliction ‘Trilogy’ video trailer for ‘Emelianenko vs Barnett’ on Aug. 1

Posted: 11 Jun 2009 07:19 PM PDT

This is gonna be good, Maniacs:

‘Lean Stack’ on sale now to unleash your summer physique!

Posted: 11 Jun 2009 07:07 PM PDT

Time’s up folks, the warm weather is finally here.

Trying to remain committed to your diet and exercise program during the winter months can be a daunting task. It’s easy to give less than 100-percent in the gym when the majority of your physique is safely hidden behind sweaters and flannel shirts.

We’ve got some great news that will get you beach ready in no time flat: Feel It! Nutrition is back with its popular Lean Stack, which includes all the high-powered supplements that you need to get results in one convenient, low-priced package.

In fact, you can take advantage of super hot summer savings right now for a limited time thanks to our online partners. We actually asked them to bring the sale back because it was such a hit back when we first introduced Lean Stack back in February.

And this time around I’m not just shilling for Feel It! Nutrition, I’m proof that Lean Stack works … fast.

I started Lean Stack the first week of May because I wanted to be shirtless for my annual trip to the beach on Memorial Day weekend. Not only did I achieve that goal, I came in a few days ahead of schedule.

Lean Stack worked with my body instead of against it. Most overpriced diet pills (and powders) act like an edible Drano. Yes, they clean you out, but they also leave you hollow inside. Lean Stack worked with my body in conjunction with my training regimen and nutritional blueprint, releasing the stored fat cells in a safe and timely manner.

The best part was I didn’t have to change my training routine — just maintain it.

The team at Feel It! Nutrition recognizes that most people don’t have the time or the knowledge to be figuring out what supplements will work best with their bodies. And I think I speak for everyone when I say it’s not the kind of thing you want to be experimenting with.

No worries. Feel It! Nutrition has already done the research for you and assembled the most comprehensive stack for burning fat and retaining lean muscle.

Lean Stack comprises the following cutting-edge supplements:

Strength Prohormone: LG Sciences Methyl Masterdrol V2 (90 Capsules)
Testosterone Booster: LG Sciences Formadrol Extreme (60 Capsules)
Protein Powder: BSN, Inc. Syntha-6 (2.91 lb tub)
Thermogenic: BSN, Inc. Atro-Phex (98 Capsules)
Antioxidant: TWINLAB Alpha Lipoic Acid (60 Capsules)

Lean Stack also works great if you're looking to cut weight prior to competition without jeopardizing your strength and lean muscle, or if you just want to shed those few extra pounds that have survived your onslaught of physical exertion.

And, in recognition of this limited-time sale, we are proud to offer our readers within the continental United States the ability to buy direct through MMAmania.com:

Get lean. Get Lean Stack

Don't delay … this sale ends June 19. Thank us later.

Bellator XI weigh in results: Good and De La Cruz official for welterweight title fight

Posted: 11 Jun 2009 05:09 PM PDT

The field of 16 fighters set to compete at Bellator XI tomorrow night (June 12) Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., today tipped the scales for the official fighter weigh in event.

All of the athletes hit their respective marks, including the two men who have survived the grueling tournament gauntlet to compete in the first-ever Bellator Welterweight World Championship bout, Lyman Good and Omar De La Cruz.

Good — who trains out of Tiger Schulmann's MMA in New York, N.Y. — toppled Hector Urbina, and most recently Jorge Ortiz, with second round finishes to earn his spot at championship glory. Meanwhile, De La Cruz scored a first round technical knockout of former UFC champion Dave Menne in the semifinals to advance to the final round.

In addition to fighting for the welterweight title, the winner of the bout between De La Cruz and Good will pocket a cool $100,000.

Check out the complete weigh in results for Bellator XI below:

170 lbs.: Omar De La Cruz (170) vs. Lyman Good (169) for the first-ever Bellator welterweight championship
170 lbs.: Marcelo Alfaya (169.75) vs. Mazaffar Abdurakhmanov (169.75)*
170 lbs.: Justin Torrey (170) vs. Matt Makowski (170.25)
170 lbs.: Vagner Rocha (169.5) vs. Igor Gracie (170)
135 lbs.: Collin Tebo (136) vs. Nick Pace (136)
185 lbs.: Edwin Aguilar (184.25) vs. Uriah Hall (185.5)
135 lbs.: Nick Garcia (136) vs. Jimmie Rivera (136)
185 lbs.: Dennis Olsen (185.5) vs. David Branch (185)

Note: Fighters are allowed to weigh one pound more than the division limit in non-title fights.
*Dan Hornbuckle was scratched from from event for medical reasons and will be replaced by Abdurakhmanov

Remember that the Bellator XI action will take place tomorrow, June 12, in Uncasville, airing via tape delay on ESPN Deportes Saturday evening (June 13) at 9 p.m. ET. A replay of the event will also be streamed online next Wednesday morning on the official Bellator Web site with an English-speaking broadcasting team.

Check back early and often for complete Bellator XI results, as well as a detailed recap and discussion.

ESPN MMA Live: UFC 99 preview, WEC 41 recap and more (Video)

Posted: 11 Jun 2009 04:28 PM PDT

Mind Games: Dan Hardy UFC 99 interview exclusive with MMAmania.com

Posted: 11 Jun 2009 12:02 PM PDT

By now it's no secret that UFC 99: "The Comeback" will feature a heated grudge match between 10-fight UFC veteran, Marcus Davis (16-4) and red-hot British prospect Dan Hardy (21-6, with 1 NC). In fact, it looks to be one of the better fights on an already-stacked card.

Davis needs little introduction to fans on both sides of the pond. The Bangor, Maine, native first got our attention as a contestant on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 2, at a time when he was known mostly for his boxing skills. He compiled a professional boxing record of 17-1-2 on the New England boxing circuit — and has since been referred to as "the most-improved TUF contestant" from the show's first few seasons.

More recently, "The Irish Hand Grenade" has been a regular on UFC cards held overseas. Starting with UFC 72: "Victory," Davis has been featured on six consecutive UFC cards in Britain and Ireland, most recently earning a split decision victory over heavy-hitting Chris "Lights Out" Lytle.

Hardy, on the other hand, has fought in the States just twice and not since 2006. He's best known in his native England, where he has held the Cage Warriors Welterweight World Title and is the current Light-Welterweight Champion and also the U.K. Storm British Champion.

Since signing with the UFC, "The Outlaw" posted a split decision victory over Akihiro Gono at UFC 89: "Bisping vs. Leben" and a sensational KO (punch) over knockout artist Rory Markham at UFC 95: "Sanchez vs. Stevenson." If Hardy continues posting results like that, he'll soon be a household name amongst hardcore and casual fans alike.

We only have to wait a few more days to see this one hit the history books. It all goes down this coming Saturday, June 13 at UFC 99: "The Comeback" from the Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany. It airs LIVE on pay-per-view (PPV) at 3:00 p.m. ET, or at 10:00 p.m. ET via tape-delay.

We caught up with Hardy to get his thoughts on Davis' skills and their entire feud, his odd disqualification loss to Yoshiyuki Yoshida from 2007 and how he prepares for his opponents by summarizing all their skill sets into one dangerous attribute that they bring to the table.

Let's get after it:

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Since signing with the UFC, you've earned a split decision victory over Akihiro Gono at UFC 89, followed by a one-minute KO of Rory Markham at UFC 95 in February. First, the Gono fight was a crazy back and forth brawl. You guys both looked to have landed some terrific shots. What did you learn from that fight? What did you take away from it?

Dan Hardy: A few things really. It was quite a tough fight for a first fight in the UFC, because the way he fights, he's such a spoiler, he can make anybody look bad. I mean, he took Jon Fitch to a decision, so that says a lot.

The thing that I learnt from it more than anything was the fact that … it's very difficult in the UFC, because you're always trying to push a pace, and you're always trying to make the fight exciting, because to a certain extent, your next contract depends on that. So I was really trying to push a pace, but that did kind of play into his game.

I think I could of made the fight a little bit easier on myself if I wasn't trying to war with the guy. It's just learning the balance between making the fight exciting and making sure you get a clear win on the judges' scorecards, should you go to a decision.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): The KO of Markham was particularly impressive. How important was that win for you — not just to get the highlight reel knockout, but also in terms of making a name for yourself.

Dan Hardy: I think after the first fight with Gono, I think there were a lot of people who doubted me. There were a lot of people sayin' it was a bad decision because the fight was in the U.K. and things like that. I've heard that a few times.

A lot of people thought Gono won that fight. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. It really depends on how you interpret the scoring.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Did you think you won the fight?

Dan Hardy: Oh yeah, yeah, I definitely think I won the fight. (For the) people who think that I won the fight because I was fighting in the U.K., the reality is one of the judges was British, and that was the judge that scored it against me. I don't think people actually realize that it was the American judges who scored the fight for me.

I've watched the fight several times, especially since I realized there some controversy around it. At the end of the fight, I felt confident that I won it and that I won it comfortably. Looking back … you could have scored it in other ways, but I still think that I was comfortable with the win.

Moving on to Markham, again people were thinking that the fight's been set up for me to win, and if it were to go to a decision, I'm going to take the decision. And then there was a lot of talk about the fact that Markham's first fight in the UFC was a highlight reel knockout with the headkick over Broder Farber. And there was a lot of talk about how tough Markham was and the fact that he was going to come over and knock me out, and that was going to be the end of the Dan Hardy hype.

So it was nice to go out there and make a statement and have the guy that knocks people out getting knocked out. It was a nice way to silence some critics, I suppose.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Well it was a sensational knockout. I gotta bring up the feud with Marcus Davis. It's been all over the internet. Davis has called you a "coward" and a "disrespectful punk." How exactly did the two of you get started down this path? He swears this isn't just to promote the fight — he swears it's real hatred.

Dan Hardy: Oh no, he genuinely doesn't like me. Without a doubt. (Laughs) There's no acting in that at all. The reality is, the situation I'm at in my career, I've got two fights in the UFC, and I could have quite easily been lined up against some obscure guy that's never fought in the UFC before, that nobody's really interested in seeing me fight and beat. And I find it very difficult to motivate myself for a fight if I don't feel I'm going to gain a lot out of it. Does that make sense?

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Oh yeah.

Dan Hardy: You know, I'd like to feel like I'm progressing up the rankings. So realistically, this isn't a good fight for Marcus Davis. Because regardless of who you support, you gotta give me a chance in the fight — I've won my first two fights over two good fighters, I'm taller, I'm quicker, I'm younger — so it's a bad fight for him. If he wins, then it's not really going to do a great deal for him, but if he loses, that's going to put him a lot further down the line for a title shot than he already is.

So the reason I originally started poking and prodding at him was … I actually learned that the fans wanted to see this fight, because the question was put to me, "Would I like to fight Marcus Davis?" And that was where it all started from. I thought, "Okay, the fans want to see that fight, so I'll try to make it happen."

So I started pokin' him. I knew one thing that would get to him was playing on the Irish heritage thing.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): (Laughs)

Dan Hardy: The reality is I don't care where he's from, I don't care whether he's proud of it, I don't care if he carries a Jamaican flag out, it makes no difference to me. But I knew I'd get a reaction out of him for that.

So I kinda started with that, and he took the fight, and the fight was on. And then he started getting a bit silly with it. He was saying that I was sending private emails and things like that, which was nonsense. I actually posted a statement on the CageWarriors forum regarding this. I gave a few examples of some of the false information he had given out, like I kept missin' interviews that had been settled for both of us. It was just nonsense.

So I thought, "Okay, if you wanna take this to the next level, then let's turn it on a bit." So I started up the Photoshop thread [http://www.cagewarriors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=332323#post332323]. Which … (laughs) … seemed to really upset him. And then it occurred to me how sensitive the guy is, and how ridiculous he's being about the whole thing.

And to be honest, now, it's just I'm pokin' at him, and he's gettin' more and more angry, and he just can't deal with it. He can't wait to get in there and get fighting, which is exactly how I wanted it. He's either going to come in raging like a maniac and make some silly mistake, or he's try and control himself and burn out under the aggression that he's trying to hold back.

So either way, it's not going to work out too well for him. As far as I'm concerned, it's part of the game, part of the strategy, and I think it's going to play into my hand.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): You've said that you're not overly impressed with Davis' hands and that you think his professional boxing record might be a little bit padded.

Dan Hardy: (Laughs) Yeah.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): And you've said that his hands are not "the most dangerous things he brings to the fight." So my question is, in your opinion, what are the most dangerous weapons he possesses, specifically his style compared to your style?

Dan Hardy: The way I look at fighting, when I go into a fight — for instance, if I use my first two fights in the UFC. I look at Gono, and I try and basically summarize all their techniques, all their skills into one thing that I think is the most dangerous thing that they bring to the table. And for me, Gono was the tricky submissions guy. He was the elusive guy who would catch you in a scramble with a crazy submission that you weren't expecting, and that was the main thing that I focused on dealing with.

With Rory Markham, obviously, it was his punching power. I was aware that he can punch with both hands, and that was the main thing that I was concerned with going into that fight.

Now with Marcus Davis, my main concern is the fact that he's just a tough guy. I don't think that he's technically brilliant in any area. I don't think that his wrestling's that great, I don't think that it's anything I can't deal with. His ground game, his submissions — certainly I've got some submissions and stuff — but he's not exactly been subbing the best guys in the world. And the guys he's been stopping on the feet are guys that, in my opinion, are not really of UFC standard.

So it's very difficult for me to give him any credit about his technical ability. He's technically well-rounded, but he's not brilliant at anything. Regardless of what he thinks. Fair enough, he's got a good boxing record, and he has got some skills in his hands. But he's not fought at a very high level, and if he was that good of a boxer, like I said before, he'd probably still be doing it now.

I can't take anything away from the guy, because he has got some skills that he brings to the table, and he is going to be a tough fight, because he is a genuinely tough … you know, he's a battle-hardened guy. He'll go in there, and he'll give it everything, and he'll never back down. And I gotta respect that. But technically, I don't think that there's anything that I can't deal with.

At no point, the UFC fans that are new to watching my fights, they've never seen me in the trenches before. And when it counts, I can dig deep, and I'll still be swinging when I'm on my knees. So that's something that I'm looking forward to in this fight — that if it does go there, I'm going to at least be able to show people what I've got.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Right. Do you think that when it's all said and done, you guys can bury the hatchet?

Dan Hardy: That really depends on how he deals with the loss.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): (Laughs)

Dan Hardy: (Laughs) I'm not gettin' ahead of myself. Obviously, I'm not planning on losing the fight. It really depends on Marcus Davis' attitude. I'm not one for holding grudges. If he decides that he can deal with the fact that I did all the talking, and then I backed it up, then I've got no problem. I'll buy him a drink, and we'll shake hands, and that will be it.

I don't ever think we'll be best of friends, and I don't think we'll ever really see eye to eye, especially (with) some of the things I've said about him and the fact that he's really kind of confirmed a lot of it — the fact that he is very sensitive and things like that. He's just not really the kind of guy I would enjoy spending a lot of time with. So I don't think we'll ever be best of friends, but I certainly won't be holding grudges, because that's just a waste of energy.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): I've read that you train at a bunch of different places in addition to your time at Team Rough House. I don't know which ones you've spent time at for this particular fight, but I've heard Freddie Roach at his Wild Card Gym in L.A., I've heard Legends Gym with Eddie Bravo, and I've also heard Xtreme Couture. For this particular fight, were you training at a lot of different places? Were you bouncing around a lot?

Dan Hardy: Yeah, I normally start my training camp in America, and then I come back to the U.K. to finish off. This has actually been a 13-week camp, which is quite a lengthy camp. I timed it so I had six weeks in the States, then I had a week where I had a little break and I eased off a little bit — just basically maintaining the state I was at, and that was when I travelled over to Germany to meet the troops — and then after that, I returned to the U.K. for the last six weeks over here.

So yeah, my first six weeks, I was over in California. I was living in Los Angeles, and I was training at Wild Card with Freddie Roach, and Eddie Bravo was working on my jiu-jitsu. And then I had a couple of other guys I brought in. I brought in a guy called Sean Goodrich, who's a Division I wrestler, just to work on a few things with me.

I've returned to the U.K. now, and I'm with my original coaches, the guys I've been working with for years, which is Owen Comrie, my Thai boxer, and Nathan Leverton, my jiu-jitsu. So I always like to return to my base. If it's not broke, don't fix it. But I always like to come back to training camp with a new set of skills that I can work on and add to my game, just so I'm constantly moving forward.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): I last heard you were a blue belt under Eddie Bravo. Eddie seems like a really interesting character. I've seen clips of him on the internet and read articles about him in High Times Magazine and everywhere else. What's it like training with that guy?

Dan Hardy: Eddie's a great guy, he really is. Just being around him. He's just a fun guy to be around. He's a crazy stoner, and he's always got something crazy to say. He's always talking crazy theories and stuff like that. So he's a great guy to be around, and on top of that, he's one of the best jiu-jitsu coaches out there, particularly for MMA.

A really good thing about it is the fact that, because he's so well known and because his style is so recognizable, he always has good guys coming through the gym to train with him as well. I've rolled with some of the best grapplers in the world, who have been at Eddie's for a couple of weeks to work with him a little bit.

For me, that's one of the best things about 10th Planet [http://www.10thplanetjj.com/] is not only the fact that they've got great coaches and training partners there, it's that there are always guys coming in and brining new stuff, and that's always integrating into Eddie Bravo's game.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): In terms of your standup, what did Freddie Roach help you most with?

Dan Hardy: To be honest, a lot of it was very basic — kinda tightening up my boxing, and giving me a few pointers for generating more power, and then basically get out of the way. Use footwork and speed, because I am quite a quick fighter, and I have got decent footwork.

All the way through my career, I have kind of relied on being able to get in and land shots and get out before the person can hit me back. And really Freddie just worked on that and helped me understand my defensive work a little better, and the footwork as well. And obviously working against a south paw, which is perfect for Davis.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): You're currently riding a five-fight win streak, which would be perhaps 10 or 11 if it weren't for a DQ loss to Yoshiyuki Yoshida at Cage Force 5 welterweight tournament back in December 2007. I actually just watched the fight online. It looked like you threw a front leg kick right on target, and Yoshida just kind of walked right into it, and it hit him right in the nuts. I think that was the first time I've ever seen a fighter carried out on a stretcher due to a crotch shot.

Clearly accidents happen, but what are your thoughts on the result — on the fact that it was a Disqualification, as opposed to a No Contest? Did you think that was justified?

Dan Hardy: Well, to be honest, the problem with the language barrier was the fact that I didn't actually understand what was going on at the time. My intention was to take him into the second round, because as you've seen in two of his three UFC fights, he does like to get in there and get the fight done and out, because he is a very fast starter. So my intention was to kind of coast through the first round, let him work a little bit, but not do any kind of real damage to me. Then when the second round started, (I) was to start to work and push him a little bit.

Basically the idea was to catch him with that inside low kick and just kind of break him down with it and upset his footwork. And as he stepped into range, I threw it, and like you said, he basically just stepped onto it and changed levels. Completely unintentional. I really had no idea that I would be libel for disqualification because of that.

I actually thought at one point he was going to get up, and then his corner man shouted something, and he seemed to lay back down again. So I don't really know. I think they might have understood the rules a little better than me. I think they might have played on those rules a little better than I give them credit for.

But yeah, it was a very disappointing circumstance. I had trained so hard for that, and it was the final — a place where no one ever expected me to get there. I got the King of Pancrase (Daizo Ishige) in the first round, and people didn't even see me beating him. I knew I had the capability of winning the tournament, and I was very confident. Just to put all that effort in and spend that time working with Eddie Bravo, and spending that time away from my family, putting that work in to then be disqualified, it was very disheartening.

That's why I got a fight the week after I was back in the U.K. (Laughs) I just needed to get it out of my system and move forward.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Would you like to see the UFC set you and Yoshida up with a rematch some day?

Dan Hardy: If that's what the UFC thinks would be a good fight for me, then by all means. I would like to get it over … I think a lot of people out there who saw the first round assume that I was being beaten. When in actual fact, part of the game plan was to coast through the first round, as I said. So it was kind of disappointing that I lost the first round and people thought the rest of the fight was going to go that way.

So if the opportunity arises, then I'll be more than ready to take that challenge. But as it is at the moment, my job is no longer to pick the fights — that's the UFC's and the fans' as well. If the fans come to me and say, "We want you to fight Yoshida next," and I keep hearing it, if that name keeps cropping up, then I'll start the talking and start the hype and get that fight on. But other than that, it's basically up to the UFC.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Well I guess I'll close with this: I've read that you were close to graduating with a degree in art and design from Nottingham University. If you weren't a full-time fighter, what do you think you'd be doing right now, career-wise?

Dan Hardy: I've heard this question quite a lot, and to be honest, I think I would have got into tattooing. It was always something that interested me, and I spent a lot of time — still I spend a lot of time — drawing up tattoo designs and things. So I think that's something I would have gone into.

I would have spent some time as a tattoo apprentice and pursued that career. I don't really think being an artist thing would have suited me too much. (Laughs) I like to be my own boss. I think a tattoo artist would have suited me.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Well, Dan, I really appreciate you taking the time to talk with us. I wanted to give you a chance to thank any sponsors or if you have any parting words for your fans.

Dan Hardy: Well, my sponsors are on my shorts, so everybody can see who's supporting me.

I think that the most important thing is that people just watch the fight, UFC 99. I know a lot of people in particular are going, "Oh, Dan Hardy's a punk," and this and that. That's not really an insult at all, because … (laughs) … I am a punk. So just keep watching the fights. If you love me or hate me, I don't really mind, just watch the fight, keep supporting the sport, and just keep enjoying the growth of the UFC.

That's it, really. Thanks for the support and thanks for the attention.

UFC 99 press conference video and pic for ‘Franklin vs Silva’

Posted: 11 Jun 2009 11:31 AM PDT

Thanks as always to Tracy Lee over at Combat Lifestyle for the pic. See more here.

Check out the video from the UFC 99 pre fight press conference for “The Comeback’ after the jump.

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com