Wednesday, June 17, 2009

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com


Cain Velasquez talks UFC 99 and his future in the heavyweight division (Exclusive)

Posted: 16 Jun 2009 05:38 PM PDT

The amount of build-up bestowed upon Cain Velasquez leading up to UFC 99 bordered on "enough already." But when it was learned that Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic refused to replace Heath Herring against Velasquez, it spoke volumes about a reputation that has preceded Cain ever since he signed with the UFC.

As overhyped as some thought Velasquez was, the pounding he put on Cheick Kongo was a tipping point for him becoming a credible name among UFC fans. Credit fellow Mexican-American fighter Miguel Torres for declaring it would be Cain's coming-out party.

Cheick Kongo is no certainly no slouch. He was considered top five in the heavyweight division. Minus a few devastating head shots dished out by Kongo, Velasquez grounded him for three full rounds.

No one will claim Cain is perfect — including himself. In our post fight interview with the talented up-and-comer, we asked him why he was disappointed with his most recent performance.

"I was disappointed with my stand-up game. I need to improve upon that aspect. I went after Kongo, which wasn't part of the game plan. I will go back and work on my footwork and head movement. I am still new in my career and still need to gain some experience.

Overall I am satisfied. I got the win. I just know that I am not where I need to be. I know I can get a lot better and will get a lot better. It was an average performance. I didn't stick to my game plan so I made the fight a lot harder than it had to be."

Two components of his game that did not disappoint were his wrestling and cardio. Velazquez used his collegiate mat experience to take away Kongo's advantage in the stand-up game while his cardio allowed him to grind out a decision win fought mostly on the ground.

"It was fun to finally get to showcase my wrestling abilities in a fight. Kongo is known for not having good takedown defense so that was part of the game plan. We knew the fight would be won there. Getting those big body slams in was fun. Kongo is big but when you have been training to do that for years, it is actually a lot easier then it looks.

As far as my cardio, I knew that it would be there. It allowed me to push the pace throughout the fight."

Everyone who watched the fight couldn't help but notice the shots that Kongo used to momentarily stun Velasquez with. Fortunately for Cain, he recovered quickly enough to use that wrestling to get the fight where he needed it to be.

"I was never worried about being knocked out but yeah, the shots he landed stunned me. I was able to snap out of it though and do my job."

In his previous interview with MMAmania.com, Cain stated he would love to pull off an armbar in the Octagon while adding that a rear naked choke would be less likely given his style. But that's exactly what he put himself in a position to do during the fight until Kongo escaped.

"I wanted to finish the fight with a submission but I couldn't set it up exactly like I needed to. I couldn't get my hooks all the way in. He was able to scramble and roll out."

While Velasquez spent most of the fight in Kongo's guard, grounding and pounding on the powerless kickboxer, some saw his inability to finish the fight as a weak spot.

"I was able to beat and bloody him but Kongo is as tough as they come. Kongo has never been manhandled like that in a fight before. I do need to find more explosiveness and power for my ground and pound. It will come with experience like everything else. Kongo earned my respect though. He took that fight on less then a month's notice."

People are already speculating on Cain’s next opponent after passing the biggest hurdle in his young mixed martial arts career. One such foe could be fellow undefeated heavyweight Shane Carwin.

For Velasquez, he is less concerned about his next opponent and more focused on improving his own game.

"It doesn't really matter to me who I face next. Kongo is one of the best out there. I knew after this fight my opponents would just keep getting tougher. I'm ready to climb the heavyweight ladder one fight at a time. I will let the UFC decide who they want me to fight next. I will keep training and improve on the areas that need improvement. I will be ready for when that next fight comes."

While it may be prudent for Zuffa to protect both Carwin and Velasquez by giving them different opponents, it is unlikely they can do that for much longer. Both guys are now in the top six in the division while the other four are already booked for fights this summer.

Unless the UFC is willing to feed them lower ranked opponents while UFC 100 and 102 play out, a Cain Velasquez vs. Shane Carwin fight may be coming to a pay-per-view near you later this year.

UFC 99 video blog with Dana White (Episodes four and five)

Posted: 16 Jun 2009 05:37 PM PDT

Check out part two (episode five) after the jump.

Tim Sylvia got knocked out so that Ray Mercer could pay his bills

Posted: 16 Jun 2009 04:58 PM PDT

Props: CBS42 (via Bloody Elbow)

Quoteworthy:

“I whooped that ass! I mastered my game and his. No days to train, two days notice. You ain’t shit Tim! The underdog always comes out on top. They tried to take it from me by making me fight this shit. I trained eight weeks for a boxing match and they gave me two days notice (to fight MMA). I need money, so I knocked a motherfucker OUT!”

Former boxing champion Ray Mercer celebrates his ten second knockout win over Tim Sylvia at Adrenaline III last Saturday (June 13) in Birmingham, Alabama. Apparently “Merciless” was just that — and also a bit ornery after training for a boxing match only to have it changed to MMA at the last minute. Perhaps Mercer would have canceled the bout under different circumstances instead of fighting a former UFC Heavyweight Champion, but in this economy even Ray-Ray has to take any payday he can get. In the end it didn’t matter, as “The Maine-iac” got put to sleep before any semblance of mixed martial arts was displayed.

UFC Quick Pic: Nate Marquardt on the August cover of Muscle & Fitness

Posted: 16 Jun 2009 04:34 PM PDT

Keep in mind “The Great” fights at middleweight.

Check out Marquardt’s training footage for his upcoming fight against Demian Maia at UFC 102 on August 29 after the jump.

Fedor Emelianenko preparing for a ‘dangerous’ Josh Barnett on August 1

Posted: 16 Jun 2009 04:23 PM PDT

Props: Sherdog.com

Quoteworthy:

“Regardless of our friendship this is something we need to do as athletes. We’re going to have to test our strengths against each other. I saw his last fight (with Gilbert Yvel) and one thing I took out of that fight was that Josh has incredible stamina. I know he’ll be ready. I have to train accordingly because I anticipate a long fight. He’s definitely up there with some of the most dangerous fighters I’ve ever been in the ring with.”

The last man to hold the Pride FC heavyweight title and current WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko (29-1) hypes his long-awaited fight against "The Babyface Assassin" at Affliction's third venture, which is set to go down from the Honda Center in Los Angeles, Calif., on Aug. 1, 2009. There has been a lot of talk over the years that both Emelianenko and Barnett were avoiding meeting in the center of the ring because of the friendship they forged during their years under the Pride FC banner. It appears, however, that the showdown was inevitable — they are the last two men standing under the Affliction banner atop their respective division.

Nate Diaz ready to ‘put it on’ Joe Stevenson at TUF 9 Finale (Video)

Posted: 16 Jun 2009 12:52 PM PDT

UFC 100: TJ Grant vs Dong Hyun ‘Stun Gun’ Kim booked for July 11

Posted: 16 Jun 2009 12:11 PM PDT

UFC sophomore TJ Grant — after recently spinning through a a revolving door of possible opponents — is now set to tangle with Korean import Dong Hyun Kim in a welterweight showdown at UFC 100 from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on July 11.

Members close to the situation earlier today informed MMAmania.com about the 170-pound bout.

Grant originally agreed to battle top welterweight contender Martin Kampmann at The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 9 Finale at "The Pearl" at the Palms Resort in Las Vegas, Nevada, on June 20. However, "The Hitman" refused to sign the bout agreement, stating that a match with the up-and-coming Grant "didn't make sense" for him.

Then just a month out from the event, he was penciled in to face off against hard-hitting slugger and International Fight League ( IFL) veteran, Rory Markham, but now that pursuit has fallen to the wayside after Markham had to pull out of the bout with an injury just days before it was set to go down.

That left Grant's camp scrambling to find for another opponent on short notice. And luckily they found one in a game Dong Hyun Kim, who was recently left opponentless himself when Jonathan Goulet was forced to pull out of their bout at UFC 100 because of a shoulder injury.

Grant made his UFC debut with a split decision victory over PRIDE veteran Ryo Chonan on April 18 at UFC 97 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The Fit Plus standout has won 14 of his 16 professional fights — with a staggering 12 of those 14 via submission.

In addition to winning matches, he's been winning over audiences in Canada for quite some time and holds convincing victories over UFC veterans like Forrest Petz.

While Kim is coming off a razor-thin split decision loss to Karo Parisyan at UFC 94 earlier this year, which was later overturned to a no contest after Parisyan tested positive for pain killers. And before that he went the distance in another close split decision, though in a winning effort against Matt Brown at UFC 88 last September.

For more on UFC 100 click here.

Tough road back: Joe Stevenson TUF 9 Finale interview exclusive with MMAmania.com

Posted: 16 Jun 2009 09:16 AM PDT

If you have ever doubted Joe Stevenson's toughness then now is the perfect time to stop.

That’s because his entire mixed martial arts career has revolved about that one attribute. And he’s plans to take it to a whole new level thanks to fresh perspective training with Greg Jackson and his stable of elite fighters in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Stevenson began his UFC career by competing on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 2, proving he was the toughest of them all by winning the welterweight final. His first fight coming off the show, however, didn't go his way when he dropped a decision to "The Dentist" Josh Neer.

It was a much-needed wake up call for "Daddy." He responded by winning his next four fights inside the Octagon, defeating guys like Melvin Guillard and Kurt Pellegrino in the process. The string of wins put Stevenson on a collision course with B.J. Penn at UFC 80 with the vacant lightweight title up for grabs.

In one of the more memorable scenes in UFC history, Stevenson was cut bad in the first round and was soaked with his own blood. In the second round, sensing that the fight would be stopped soon, Stevenson came out guns blazing. However, he was eventually forced to submit to a rear naked choke.

Despite the loss, Stevenson remained resolute.

He rebounded with a submission win over Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Gleison Tibau at UFC 86 with his signature guillotine choke. Unfortunately for Stevenson, his trip back to the top of the division was derailed shortly thereafter with back-to-back losses to Kenny Florian and Diego Sanchez.

Score two for TUF 1.

Many started labeling him as proverbial gatekeeper of the division. Stevenson was left to question his place in the division. His future in the sport. And he is still just 27-years-old. He needed a change of scenery.

And what better perspective than from MMA mastermind, Greg Jackson.

For several weeks now the recently-annointed Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt has been putting his skills to the test against Jackson's star studded roster of successful mixed martial artists, which includes some of the very best athletes in the game today, in preparation for his showdown with Nate Diaz at TUF 9 Finale this weekend.

We caught up with Stevenson after one of his intense training sessions, and it seems like toughness is all around Joe these days. And he will need every bit of it, along with an improved skill set, if he wants to get past the young and ambitious Diaz. He talked to us about his fight with Diaz, why he no longer wants a rematch with Diego Sanchez and why he does want a rematch with Kenny Florian.

Check it out:

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): Let's go back to 2005. You won the welterweight division on season two of The Ultimate Fighter by defeating Luke Cummo. Tell us about your experience on the show?

Joe Stevenson: The experience on the show was definitely something that, when it's all said and done, I was glad I had done. However, I have always said that is not something I would want to have to go through again though — six weeks without being able to talk to my wife and kids. It's something you can do once, but you wouldn't want to do it twice.

If I was giving advice to someone going in … you have to be physically, mentally and emotionally ready to step onto the plateau because if you’re not, you’re going to get eaten alive. There is no way you should go into that show just wanting to get recognized. You should be going into that show with the intent of winning it. You can't just be happy to be there.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): You were on Team Hughes. What were some key things you learned from him and do you still keep in touch with the future hall-of-famer?

Joe Stevenson: When I see Matt around I definitely say “Hi.” Other than that, I have lost so many cell phones … I don't have his number anymore (laughs). I do still use some of the techniques I learned from him and others on the show. It was a big melting pot of different people from different camps. Sharing my knowledge and experience with others to benefit them and having them do the same in return was awesome.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): You defeated Marcus Davis on the show when Marcus tapped out from elbow strikes in the first round. Today, Davis is considered a top welterweight. How do you think you'd do against Davis today and does that cause you to think about moving up to welterweight to shake things up in your career?

Joe Stevenson: It is crazy that you ask that. That was actually running through my mind recently. I had one of Marcus's friends, Dale Hartt, here and we were talking about that fight. He was saying how awesome Marcus is now and that fight would be different. I have given it a lot of thought. He has improved his game, but I still see holes. I think I am a bad match up for him stylistically.

But just because someone beats you, it does not mean that you’re better rankings wise. It doesn't mean you can automatically beat this guy or that guy. The sport is all about styles and how you match up with a person. Just as in other sports, it’s how one team matches up against another. There are so many different ways in which a fight can go so you just have to get in there and fight someone to really know.

As far being competitive with guys in the top of the welterweight division … I just had a pretty competitive fight with Diego Sanchez and he was ranked in the top 10. Rankings are subjective, though. I think I could be a threat to anyone at 170, but size does matter. Everyone said it doesn't, but it does — especially when someone knows what they are doing. St. Pierre vs. Penn is a perfect example.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): You are now training over at Greg Jackson' camp, alongside fellow TUF 2 castmates Keith Jardine and Rashad Evans. Is it fair to say that your time there has taken your game to another level, and if so, what specifically have you improved upon?

Joe Stevenson: I definitely can say that my time there has been well spent and I have improved vastly. The exciting part is there is lots of room to improve. I can't go into too much detail this close to a fight. It was definitely the best move for my career though.

Knowing Keith and Rashad were there and having the opportunity to come back and be with them again in an environment where I was going to feel a little out of touch and out of tune was huge. Having those guys here has been great. There are so many great guys here to roll with. I have spent a lot of time with Donald Cerrone and Leonard Garcia. I have trained with Keith and Rashad as well. It's been an invaluable experience.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): According to a post-fight statement, you expressed interest in a rematch with Diego Sanchez. How would the fight go any differently a second time around?

Joe Stevenson: Well, I wouldn't let it go to decision (laughs). You can't let it go to those judges hands. Honestly, at the point of where I am at now, I wouldn't want to ask Greg to coach me against one of his former students. At that point, when I wanted a rematch, I didn't know that I would be coming over to Greg Jackson's.

So I don't know that I would end up fighting Diego again. Training at Jackson's camp takes precedence. If it came down to fighting Diego for a title or number one contender match, I would go to Greg and discuss the matter with him and go from there.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): Since you will be fighting on the TUF 9 Finale, have you been watching this season. And if so, what are your impressions on the newest crop of fighters?

Joe Stevenson: I came out to Albuquerque, N.M., right when it started to air. I watched the first two episodes back home and then I was here. So I don't have much to say because they don't have cable at the house I am staying at. But from what I did see it looks like a great show.

Dan Henderson is one of my heroes. I think Michael Bipsing is a great fighter and has a lot of talent so that fight will be exciting. Michael is a very straight forward person, not fake at all. And Dan is just an awesome person and I am grateful to count him as a friend.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): You are fighting Nate Diaz at the TUF 9 Finale. Given you have a wrestling background, are a shorter fighter and will have a six-inch reach disadvantage, what will your gameplan be? Do you plan on going for take downs and controlling the fight on the ground (like Clay Guida did) or will you stand on box with your taller opponent before deciding whether to take it to the ground or not?

Joe Stevenson: Well, it will definitely start on its feet. My plan is to hit him, hit him hard and do so continuously. Let's see if Diaz can take a punch. I will bring my full arsenal into this fight. I will stand and bang with Diaz and if I need to take him to the ground I will do that. That is about all I can reveal as far as my gameplan goes.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): Diaz has only been submitted once in his career and that was early on against a more experienced Hermes Franca. Could you see yourself submitting Diaz with your guillotine or is a decision win your best bet in this fight?

Joe Stevenson: Anytime I get my arms wrapped around someone's neck they are in serious danger of being choked out. I will be looking to finish this fight. Whether it’ss by choking him out or laying down punches until he can't answer back. I am actually pretty good at having the referee stop the fight for a T(KO) win.

Diaz is a hard guy to knockout, though, he is always in it. So it will be a challenge to knock the guy out. I will be using my hands to loosen him up before looking to do anything else.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): In terms of your overall impact in the division you were on a tear winning one fight after the other. Then you ran into a string of tough battles, losing to top guys B.J. Penn, Kenny Florian and most recently Diego Sanchez. Do you see this fight with Diaz as a pivotal fight in your UFC career? Do you see yourself getting back on track toward title contention with a win?

Joe Stevenson: Hopefully, yeah (laughs). Any fight front of you, especially in the UFC, is a pivotal fight. You have to look at each fight the same, so yes this is a very pivotal fight. This fight is the only thing I am focused on now and I have to beat him before I can think about where I fit in. If I let those thoughts run rampant, it will just distract me from the task at hand.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): Since you have fought both guys I have to ask, who is going to coming out victorious at UFC 101. Will it be B.J. Penn or Kenny Florian?

Joe Stevenson: B.J. Penn. I think he will bring too much to the table for Florian. I know Kenny is taking this fight seriously and training his butt off. Kenny has got some things he will be able to pull off against B.J., but no one is as well versed as B.J and he will have a little too much for Kenny in every avenue.

I don't think Kenny will be able to push the pace or keep pace with B.J. Your best bet with B.J is getting him tired (like GSP did) and I think Kenny will tire out in the later rounds. You had asked me about a rematch with Diego Sanchez. I want a rematch with Kenny Florian after he loses this fight. I want that fight to get myself back into title contention.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): You are fighting alongside Diego Sanchez and Clay Guida on the TUF 9 Finale. What are your thoughts on that fight?

Joe Stevenson: I think that is going to be a great fight. I think stylistically it could actually go in Clay's favor. But Diego is always a threat and brings a lot of tools to the table. He hits hard, has decent wrestling and great submissions. I think it will be a great fight for the fans. I could see Clay pulling out a decision win though.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): Last question, Joe: This upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter will be the biggest one ever with Quinton Jackson and Rashad Evans as coaches. And then there is Kimbo Slice. What are your thoughts on this season?

Joe Stevenson: I can guarantee you I will be watching the entire season (laughs).

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): Time for shout outs:

Joe Stevenson: I want to thank MMA Warehouse, Warrior Wear and Sprawl. They have always been there for me. I want to say Hi to everyone back home at Cobra Kai. Thank you for the support. Thanks to all the fans and I hope everyone enjoys watching the fight with Nate Diaz.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): Thank you taking the time out of your training schedule to talk to us. Good luck in your fight this Saturday night.

Joe Stevenson: Thank you, man. Take care.

Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 10 cast revealed for Spike TV UFC show

Posted: 16 Jun 2009 09:10 AM PDT

The debut of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 10 is not for another three months — September 16, 2009 to be exact — but the roster of fighters is starting to fill out. The list includes a former IFL champion, several NFL players, a few UFC veterans and one YouTube phenomenon for good measure.

The Sun passed along the news, suggesting the cast will comprise just 16 heavyweights, all of whom will get a spot of the show. This is down from 32 fighters who have had to fight their way into the house in an opening elimination round, as seen in recent seasons.

Check out the full TUF 10 cast after the jump:

  • Kimbo Slice (3-1): The YouTube phenomenon and former Elite XC headliner
  • Roy Nelson (13-4): Former IFL champion
  • Wes Sims (22-12-1): Former UFC fighter
  • Marcus Jones (4-1): Former NFL player
  • Matt Mitrione (0-0): Former NFL player
  • Wes Shivers (N/A): NFL veteran
  • Jim York (10-2): MMA fighter
  • Justin Wren (6-1): NFL player/MMA fighter
  • Mike Wessel (6-1): Former UFC fighter
  • Scott Junk (6-2-1): Former UFC fighter
  • Zak Jensen (7-3): MMA fighter
  • Darrill Schoonover (10-0): MMA fighter
  • Brendan Schaub (4-0): MMA fighter
  • Jon Madsen (1-0): MMA fighter
  • Tom Blackledge (8-6): MMA fighter
  • Abe Wagner (6-2): MMA fighter

Commissioned to coach this eclectic band of misfits will be two former light heavyweight champions in Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and "Sugar" Rashad Evans. The pair will have their hands full as this season will comprise heavyweight contenders exclusively.

In fact, TUF 10 will be the first TUF season to feature heavyweights since the second season in late 2005. That season — which culminated in a heavyweight showdown between Rashad Evans and 6'7" Brad Imes — was noted more for its light heavyweights fighting up in weight than it was for its true heavyweight contenders, including Evans, Keith Jardine, Mike Whitehead and Seth Petruzelli.

The date for "The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale" has already been slated for December 5, 2009, in Las Vegas, Nevada. Following the finale, coaches Jackson and Evans are expected to duke it out for the number one contender position in the light heavyweight division.

For more on TUF 10 click here.

M-1 Challenge South Korea: Team USA West vs Russia Imperial set for July 4

Posted: 16 Jun 2009 07:11 AM PDT

Amsterdam, Holland — While friends and family will be back at home in the U.S. celebrating the Fourth of July Holiday at BBQs and fireworks displays, Team USA West will find itself amerced in a best-of-five series with Team Russia Imperial in Seoul, South Korea.

And when the 2009 “M-1 Challenge Presented by Affliction” (www.M-1Global.com) resumes with its “Sixth Edition” inside the Seoul Arena, Group B leading USA West (2-0 in team challenges and 8-2 overall individually) will find itself going head-to-head with an Imperial team that will not feature a single member from its 2008 M-1 Challenge Championship team.

After beginning its ‘09 campaign with two team losses, Fedor Emelianenko’s Imperial team has made wholesale changes as it looks to unearth its next generation of superstars looking to follow in the footsteps of Emelianenko, Roman Zentsov, and Kirill Sidelnikov.

While lightweight Mikhail Malyutin and heavyweight Alexey Oleinik were absent from Team Imperial in Brazil in May, the team still retained three holdovers from last year’s squad with welterweight Erik Oganov, middleweight Dmitry Samoilov, and light heavyweight Mikhail Zayats. But Zayats, Samoilov, and Oganov will all be sitting out July’s challenge in order to create roster space for rising prospects Marat Ilaev (welterweight), Radmir Gabdulin (middleweight), and Viktor Nemkov (light heavyweight).

Illaev, Gabdullin, and Nemkov will join holdovers Amirkhan Mazikhov and Maksim Grishin as Imperial faces a USA West team with its sights set on clinching a semifinal berth in the ‘09 M-1 Challenge post-season along with its first-ever Group title.

Not looking to coast into the playoffs, four of five fighters that helped USA West to its 4-1 win over South Korea in Japan this past April will be back, with light heavyweight Raphael Davis the lone fighter from the roster not set to compete on July 4.

However, team owners Steve Bash and Roy Engelbrecht have gone out and recruited King of the Cage light heavyweight champion Tony Lopez (12-2) to step up as a replacement against Nemkov, who has compiled a 4-0 record competing in M-1 Challenge events and earned his spot on the Imperial roster by going 2-0 in the M-1 Selections.

Returning at lightweight for USA West will be rising lightweight prospect David Jansen, who improved to 11-0 following his unanimous decision victory over Yui Chul Nam during April’s M-1 Challenge event in Japan. The Team Quest member has already fought three times this year with his other wins having come against BodogFIGHT veteran Matt Lee as well as Rio Heroes alum Flavio Alvaro.

Representing USA West at welterweight will be Fabio “Negao” Nascimento. Nascimento, a decorated jiu-jitsu black belt, improved to 9-4 following his majority decision victory over Myeon Ho Bae in his M-1 Challenge debut this past April in Japan. Negao will look to move his M-1 Challenge record to 2-0 when he faces Ilaev, who was promoted from Imperial’s Selection roster to its Challenge roster following last month’s first round submission over Havazh Beldurov.

USA West’s middleweight slot will once again be manned by Giva “The Arm Collector” Santana (12-1), who recorded an astonishing eleventh career victory via armbar during his M-1 Challenge debut this past April against South Korea’s Min Suk Heo. The former member of the Brazilian Armed Forces, Santana will take on Gabdulin, a 4-1 fighter who has recorded all of his wins via submission despite his reputation for possessing outstanding Muay Thai skills.

Despite having dual contract with Strikeforce and M-1, former EliteXC veteran Shane Del Rosario will once again compete for USA West as its designated heavyweight. The professional Muay Thai fighter improved to 6-0 in his MMA caeer following his first round knockout over Dool Hee Lee in Japan this past April.

In addition to the best-of-five series between Group B rivals USA West and Russia Imperial, the remainder of Group B will be in action as host country South Korea takes on Brazil Naja while Group C teams Finland and Bulgaria will square off.

The current lineup for the July 4 event is as follows:

USA West vs. Russia Imperial:
Lightweight (-70 kg/154 lbs.) - Dave Jansen (USA) vs. Amirkhan Mazikhov (RUS)
Welterweight (-76 kg/167.2 lbs.) - Fabio Nasicmento (USA) vs. Marat Ilaev (RUS)
Middleweight (-84 kg/184.8 lbs.) - Giva Santana (USA) vs. Radmir Gabdulin (RUS)
Light Heavyweight (-93 kg/204.6 lbs.) - Tony Lopez (USA) vs. Viktor Nemkov (RUS)
Heavyweight (+93 kg/+ 204.6 lbs.) - Shane Del Rosario (USA) vs. Maksim Grishin (RUS)

South Korea vs. Brazil:
Lightweight (-70 kg/154 lbs.) - Nam Yui Chul (KOR) vs. Hacran Dias (BRA)
Welterweight (-76 kg/167.2 lbs.) - Do Hyung Kim (KOR) vs. Eduardo Pamplona (BRA)
Middleweight (-84 kg/184.8 lbs.) - Jae Young Kim (KOR) vs. Daniel Acacio (BRA)
Light Heavyweight (-93 kg/204.6 lbs.) - Doo Hee Lee (KOR) vs. Alexander Machado (BRA)
Heavyweight (+93 kg/+ 204.6 lbs.) - Hae Joon Yang (KOR) vs. Joaquim Ferreira (BRA)

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com