Saturday, December 12, 2009

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com


UFC 107 results live play-by-play TONIGHT (Dec. 12) for 'Penn vs Sanchez'!

Posted: 12 Dec 2009 04:55 AM PST

Ufc107r2_medium
Click the banner above or right here for up-to-the-minute results and blow-by-blow coverage of UFC 107: "Penn vs. Sanchez."

Quick results of the preliminary fights will begin to flow around 8:15 p.m. ET and round-by-round coverage of the main card pay-per-view (PPV) action is set for 10 p.m. ET!

If you’re going to leave comments and discuss the fights with all the other MMAmania.com readers be sure to do it on the main UFC 107 results post and not this one. Comments in this thread are turned off.

Enjoy the show, Maniacs!

Georges St. Pierre vs Dan Hardy UFC 111 fight confirmed for March 27

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 11:58 PM PST

Gsp-hardy_medium
Mixed martial arts megastar Georges St. Pierre (19-2) will indeed defend his 170-pound title against last-welterweight-standing, Dan Hardy (23-6), at UFC 111, which is slated for the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., on March 27, 2010.

The promotion has yet to officially announce the event; however, commentator Bill Goldberg today shared the good news with fans at the UFC 107 weigh in Q&A that "Rush" would take on "The Outlaw" in the main event of the evening.

It will be the first appearance for St. Pierre in the "Garden State" since his submission loss to Matt Hughes at UFC 50: "War of '04." Since that loss, "Rush" has gone 12-1, and a 2007 stoppage to Matt Serra notwithstanding, has looked nearly invincible in all 13 of his contests.

Aside from avenging his defeat to Hughes at UFC 79 (and then finishing his title aspirations for good at UFC 83), the uber-welterweight also put his stamp of disapproval on BJ Penn (twice), Jon Fitch and Thiago Alves.

In fact, Dan Hardy was likely afforded a title shot because there aren't many competitors in the 170-pound division that haven't already got a crack at the surging Canadian -- and came up short.

That's not to suggest "The Outlaw" isn't deserving. After squeaking past Akihiro Gono in his Octagon debut back at UFC 89, the Nottingham native rattled off three more wins, including two over a pair of the division's burgeoning prospects, Marcus Davis and Mike Swick.

Ironically, Swick was one win away from his turn at facing St. Pierre in a number one contender match against Martin Kampann at UFC 103 back in September; however, the Texan suffered a "Quick" exit from the event after getting dropped on his head during practice.

After "The Hitman" was shot down by Swick substitute Paul "Semtex" Daley on Sept. 19, Hardy was yanked from his UFC 105 bout opposite "Stun Gun" Kim and given the opportunity to elevate himself into title contention with a big win over one of the original Ultimate Fighter stars.

Mission accomplished.

Though it can be said that sometimes you should be careful what you wish for -- you just might get it. Stay tuned to MMAmania.com for more updates and developments on this still-developing fight card.

UFC 106 drug test results come back clean from the NSAC for 'Ortiz vs Griffin 2'

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 11:58 PM PST

Ufc86drugresults_medium_medium

The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) today confirmed that 12 of the 20 competitors who were tested for illegal/banned substances after competing at UFC 106: "Ortiz vs. Griffin 2" on Nov. 21 have all passed with flying colors.

Former UFC light heavyweight champions Forrest Griffin and Tito Ortiz as well as Josh Koscheck, Anthony Johnson, Amir Sadollah, Phil Baroni, Antonio Rogerio Nogueria, Ben Saunders, Paulo Thiago, Kendall Grove, Brian Foster and Caol Uno were all screened for performance enhancers such as steroids and drugs of abuse like cocaine and marijuana, among others.

Results from these battery of tests all returned negative.

The fighters mentioned above were randomly selected. However, athletic commissions typically test the main event participants and fight night winners, as well as those who have failed tests in the past.

The UFC dished out $1,021,000 in fighter salaries for the pay-per-view event from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas and another $70,000 in additional bonus money for the three participants who delivered outstanding performances.

UFC 106 featured a main event rematch between former UFC light heavyweight champions Tito Ortiz and Forrest Griffin, which ended in a split decision in favor of Griffin. The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) season one winner mentioned in his post-fight remarks that he’s willing to face Ortiz in a rubber match at a later date.

Other main card fights included Josh Koscheck picking up $140,000 in bonus checks for "Fight of the Night" and "Submission of the Night" in his win over welterweight slugger Anthony "Rumble" Johnson, while Antonio Rogerio Nogueira earned "Knockout of the Night" in his promotional debut for his first-round win over Luis Cane.

For complete results and coverage of "Ortiz vs. Griffin 2" click here and here.

BJ Penn gets loose in 'The Jungle' on Jim Rome's radio show

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 06:40 PM PST

Mma_a_penn2_sw_580_medium 
Props: Jim Rome Audio Streamlink Archive

Quoteworthy:

"The day of the fight everyone is going to be a little nervous and wonder what is going to happen, but as soon as you start to realize what is going on you kind of just throw everything to the side and you don’t care. You’re willing to give it all out there and you get more sure of yourself as the fight gets closer. At the moment they come in and say, "Penn, lets go. You’re up next." It’s such a feeling. I’m getting goose bumps right now. It’s a feeling that everything is on the line. Forget everything. All bets are off. Let’s just go out and do this."

B.J. Penn shares his thoughts on what goes through his head in the hours leading up to a big fight on Jim Rome's nationally syndicated radio show. "The Prodigy" is set to put his lightweight title on the line against Diego Sanchez at UFC 107 in Memphis, Tenn., on Saturday, Dec. 12 The entire transcript of the interview, including his thoughts on growing up with a tough father, Marv Marinovich and Diego’s attempts to pump himself up are after the jump.

 

Check it out:

Jim Rome: I’m joined now by the UFC lightweight champion. He clearly has defined himself as the #1 fighter in the world at that weight class. 14 – 5 – 1 for his career. B.J. Penn is defending that title against Diego Sanchez Saturday at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, UFC 107. My guest is B.J. Penn. B.J. good to have you back, how are you?

 

B.J. Penn: What’s going on Jim?

 

Jim Rome: What’s up B.J.? How are you feeling?

 

B.J. Penn: I’m feeling great. We’re at Graceland right now. Gotta check it out since we’re down here in Memphis. The training is done for the fight so we’re kind of resting and taking it easy and resting the body for Saturday night.

 

Jim Rome: Did Graceland live up to all the hype?

 

B.J. Penn: Definitely. I’m having a great time here. I’m enjoying myself. I love it.

 

Jim Rome: B.J. you sound loose. You sound like you are in a good place. Is it because of the work you’ve done or is it because you feel good about that matchup?

 

B.J. Penn: I definitely think it’s because of the work I’ve done. I have the Marinoviches. They came down to Hilo and worked with me for a couple months. I came to California for my training camp. I’m just real comfortable. Diego is a good fighter. He brings a lot to the table. As far as training goes I did everything I could do. You can never been too cocky, too confident. A fight is a fight. I like my odds.

 

Jim Rome: You must feel strongly about Marv Marinovich to mention him that early in the interview. Talk about that. How did he and you come together and what does he do for you specifically?

 

B.J. Penn: We got together through some mutual friends. Everybody out there is all doing the same workouts. They do one thing for a minute and just do circuit type of workouts. Do one thing for a minute then switch to the next thing for a minute. They just try to do five minute rounds like that. Everybody just keeps doing the same thing. Marv thinks out of the box. I honestly believe he’s light years ahead of everybody Jim. He’s what they’re going to be doing in the future.

 

Jim Rome: Hey B.J., Diego Sanchez keeps talking about how there’s going to be a race to the center of the ring. That he’s going to be there to meet you. Do you expect him to do that and if so what is going to happen?

 

B.J. Penn: I wonder what he’s going to try to do. I don’t know if he’s building himself up and this is all hype. I saw the countdown show and I’ve done a couple interviews with him and he seems very respectful. Then in the countdown show yesterday he was saying all these things and I was like, "Really, huh?" I don’t know. I guess he’s going to run to the center of the ring and I’ll meet him there. One thing is for sure, we’re going to find out what happens on December 12. I’m not afraid of him. I don’t know why he has those ideas in his head that I’m afraid of him. I’m the champion and I’m going to fight like the champion.

 

Jim Rome: Do you think he’s saying those things to pump himself up?

 

B.J. Penn: I definitely think he’s trying to pump himself up and I think as he gets closer to the fight he’s kind of realizing that he’s going to be in for a fight. He’s not fighting someone who’s going to run away from him as I think he thought earlier in his training camp. I think he knows I’m going out there to win the fight.

 

Jim Rome: You know the one thing about him B.J. is that Sanchez has got a motor, he’s always in condition, the guy is relentless. What concerns you most about that matchup?

 

B.J. Penn: I know he’s very good and anything can happen in a fight but I don’t see anything that really concerns me. He’s just another good fighter that I’m in the ring with. I’ve been in the ring with so many great fighters. On that end, I’m not really concerned. I know he has some strengths. I’m sure he probably hits hard. He’s got some good takedowns, good grappling, and some very good conditioning when he decides to push the pace. I’m aware of what his strengths are and I’m concerned about nothing.

 

Jim Rome: You know B.J. you’ve seen pretty much everything in the sport. You made the point recently that early in my career I might have been caught up in some of the other B.S. that comes along with fighting but not anymore. What do you mean by that?

 

B.J. Penn: I just started realized that this is a dream that I had since I was a kid and why not enjoy it? You never know how long this is going to last. This is fighting. This isn’t a sport where you go out there and you’re not going to get hurt. You never know. This could be my last fight or I could have five more fights or ten more fights. Why not enjoy it? I want to look back and say while all of this was going on I enjoyed it and it was fun.

 

Jim Rome: Tell the story about your Dad. You come from a family of fighters. You fight. Your brothers fight. Your father has got a gym. When your father initially said that you need to learn jiu-jitsu what was your response?

 

B.J. Penn: I was just like, "Why would I want to waste my time? I’m already the toughest man in the world." (laughs) I was just a teenager. I don’t know. It was just so weird how I got in this position. I feel like I kind of just fell into it and it just blows me away. That’s kind of how I came to the realization to enjoy this whole thing when I step back and look at myself and all the things I was involved in. I’m from Hilo, HI, just a small little town. What are the odds of someone coming out of there and being able to headline a pay-per-view like I’m going to do Saturday night? I took a step back and said, "What a great opportunity I have. Go out and do your best and try to have fun while this is all going on."

 

Jim Rome: It’s amazing. Your father has the gym so you can always go back to that and workout there if you want. The other part of the story that I really like though is how he made it pretty clear from your family it wasn’t going to be okay to sit around and do nothing. You may have been the toughest guy in the world but he wasn’t going to let you hang out at the beach. You had to do something, right? He was going to make sure you had a plan.

 

B.J. Penn: You said it. I love my Dad. I love that guy’s heart. You know, everybody thinks their parents are hard on them but they got to see my Dad and see if they could take it. I’d laugh watching him be someone else’s Dad. I’d get a good kick out of it.

 

Jim Rome: What you’re telling me B.J. is that you had to be the toughest guy in the world to roll with pops.

 

B.J. Penn: (laughs) Just to live in the house with him. He comes from a pretty tough background himself. He’s a self made man. He did everything himself. When he sees people sit down and waste their life away it makes him sick and he can’t take it.

 

Jim Rome: Hey B.J. one last thought. What is it like when you get in there and you step in there? I can only imagine all the work that goes into it and there’s all the energy and adrenaline. The adrenaline has to be coming through your ears and eyes. How do you manage that and what’s it like when you step into that ring and it’s go time?

 

B.J. Penn: You start getting more sure of yourself. The day of the fight everyone is going to be a little nervous and wonder what is going to happen but as soon as you start to realize what is going on you kind of just throw everything to the side and you don’t care. You’re willing to give it all out there and you get more sure of yourself as the fight gets closer. At the moment they come in and say, "Penn, lets go. You’re up next." It’s such a feeling. I’m getting goose bumps right now. It’s a feeling that everything is on the line. Forget everything. All bets are off. Let’s just go out and do this.

 

Jim Rome: B.J. I can’t end this without asking you. GSP got you in January. You bounced back with a win over Kenny Florian. As you and I sit here right now, who is the best fighter in the world?

 

B.J. Penn: I will go to the grave saying that I’m the best fighter in the world. I’ll never believe any different no matter what happens to me in my life. That is just how fighters are made. GSP got me in January. I beat Florian. I’m going to come back on Saturday night and we’re going to see what happens. Maybe I did salvage this year after all.

 

Jim Rome: I don’t want to get greedy with it B.J. but can I expect a Mickey’s beer with your picture on it after the win, should you get the win, like last time?

 

B.J. Penn: (laughs) Expect a Mickey’s beer.

 

Jim Rome: I like it man. B.J., listen it was glad to have you back on. Good luck with it.

 

B.J. Penn: Thank you. I said it a few times already. You know you made it when you’re on the Jim Rome show. Thank you Jim.

 

Jim Rome: B.J., my pleasure. I know I’ve made it when you come on the show. You’re the best. B.J. freaking Penn, and he is too. Without question at 155 he is. And he may be right when he says he is the best, period. GSP got him in January. He bounced back with a win over Florian. And he’s got Diego Sanchez. Sanchez is an excellent wrestler. The guy is in great condition, great shape. He’s got a motor that just never stops.

 

I don’t think he’s got what it takes to beat B.J. Penn. B.J. is in for a fight but he’s ready for a fight. He’s ready for a battle. I just don’t see him beating B.J. Penn. B.J. feels loose. He’s done the work. He’s got the perspective. And he’s got the toughest pops in the world. Probably have to be. B.J. is a black belt plus. He's got a brother who is a black belt. He’s got another brother, I think, who is a brown belt. Pops runs the gym in Hawaii. What an amazing success story.

UFC 107 weigh in photos gallery for 'Penn vs Sanchez'

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 06:38 PM PST

Kongo turns his back on a bulked-up Mir:

Mir_kongo_ufc_107_medium

Props: CombatLifestyle.com (Click the link to check out the complete gallery)

Check out the friggin' INTENSE mad doggin' between BJ Penn and Diego Sanchez after the jump. Are you pumped for Saturday night or what?

For complete UFC 107: "Penn vs. Sanchez" weigh in results click here.

Penn_sanchez_ufc107_medium

Mariusz Pudzianowski wins MMA debut at KSW 12

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 04:57 PM PST

Mariusz-pudzianowski-and-marcin-najman-300x199_medium

Pudzianowski-Najman fight video courtesy of Piroman

The five-time World’s Strongest Man champion, Mariusz Pudzianowski blitzed through his MMA debut on Friday, Dec. 11, at KSW 12 in Warsaw, Poland.

Facing a professional boxer and fellow MMA newcomer, Marcin "El Testosteron" Najman, "Pudzian," a fourth-kyu green belt in Kyokushin Karate and former amateur boxer, stalked his foe for the first fifteen seconds.

With the thunderous roar of the crowd chanting his name, Pudzian started battering Najman’s legs as if he were shooting a soccer ball from long range. The kicks quickly took a toll on "El Testosteron," who fell to the mat and succumbed to Pudzian’s ferocious ground-and-pound at 43 seconds of the first round.

With a triumphant debut, Pudzianowski has an option of pursuing a MMA career or his sixth World’s Strongest Man title. His last attempt at the title came two months ago in October and he fell short, earning a runner-up finish in the competition.

If he decides to go forward with his MMA career, he may become a pioneering figure in the growth and popularization of MMA in Poland, thanks to his celebrity status.

Elsewhere on the KSW 12 fight card, The Ultimate Fighter alum, Dean Amasinger, earned his sixth career victory over Maciej Gorski, and UFC and Cage Rage veteran, James Zikic bested Daniel Dowda with unanimous decision.

KSW 12 full results:

1 Dawid Baziak def. Maxim Grishin via Decision (Unanimous) Rd. 3 3:00
2 David Olivia def. Wojciech Orlowski via Submission (Punches) Rd. 1 2:51
3 Karol Bedorf def. Arunas Vilius via Submission (Kimura) Rd. 2 2:16
4 Konstantin Gluhov def. Daniel Omielanczuk via Decision (Unanimous) Rd. 2 5:00
5 James Zikic def. Daniel Dowda via Decision (Unanimous) Rd. 2 5:00
6 David Olivia def. Daniel Omielanczuk via Decision (Unanimous) Rd. 2 5:00
7 Mariusz Pudzianowski def. Marcin Najman via TKO (Punches) Rd. 1 0:43
8 Dean Amasinger def. Daniel Gorski via Submission (Guillotine Choke) Rd. 1 3:00
9 Vitor Nobrega def. Aslambek Saidov via Decision (Unanimous) Rd. 4 3:00

UFC 107 weigh in results LIVE from Memphis for 'Penn vs Sanchez'

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 12:15 PM PST

Penn-scale_medium
The official weigh-in event for UFC 107: "Penn vs. Sanchez" is on the books, having just wrapped today (Dec. 11), LIVE from the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tennessee.

UFC color commentator Joe Rogan perhaps summed it up best when he said, "What is it about Memphis? Is there heavy air here?"

Heavy air indeed, as five fighters had to strip to nothing but their birthday suits in order to make weight. By the time the third fighter "took to the pole" so-to-speak, the Memphis crowd had seen enough, chanting, "Fix the scales!"

First, welterweight fighter Edgar Garcia weighed in at 173 lbs (he's since made weight) and left the scale looking confused. His opponent, TUF 9 veteran DaMarques Johnson, stripped bare to shed the half pound preventing him from making weight.

Both Ricardo Funch and Johnny Hendricks followed suit, prompting Rogan to say, "Half a pound of underwear, ladies and gentlemen. Might want to clean those bad boys."

The Main Card fighters saw fewer problems making weight than did their undercard counterparts. That is until the Main Event, when lightweight challenger Diego Sanchez missed weight for his long-awaited title bout against champion B.J. Penn by one pound (he's since shed a pound and a half without much fanfare).

In the Co-Main Event, former heavyweight champion Frank Mir (looking bigger than ever) was ready for his staredown against the Wolfslair's Cheick Kongo ... only Kongo refused to face him. Instead the Frenchman turned his back completely on Mir, who pointed at his opponent, smiled and made a choking motion with his hands.

Is that a sign of things to come?

Diego Sanchez perhaps summed it up best at the conclusion of the weigh-in event by stating the obvious (er ... kind of). When asked by Rogan about how he's feeling heading into the biggest fight of his career, the TUF 1 champion said, "Two words ... one word: Destiny."

"Penn vs. Sanchez" will feature a main event between lightweight division champion, BJ "The Prodigy" Penn, defending his title against number one division contender, Diego "Nightmare" Sanchez, filling in the hole left by "Sugar" Rashad Evans and Quinton Jackson after "Rampage" went Hollywood.

In the co-featured fight of the night, former two-time heavyweight champion Frank Mir will "begin his quest for a third title" when he takes on the hard-hitting Cheick Kongo. In addition, a lightweight showdown between former number one contender Kenny "KenFlo" Florian and Clay "The Carpenter" Guida is also on tap.

Here’s are the complete UFC 107 weigh in results:

Main event:

UFC Lightweight Champion BJ Penn (155) vs. Diego Sanchez (156)*

Main card (Televised):

265 lbs.: Frank Mir (264.5) vs. Cheick Kongo (239)
155 lbs.: Kenny Florian (156) vs. Clay Guida (156)
170 lbs.: Jon Fitch (171) vs. Mike Pierce (171)
265 lbs.: Paul Buentello (255) vs. Stefan Struve (247)

Under card (May not be broadcast):

195 lbs.: Wilson Gouveia (193) vs. Alan Belcher (195)**
155 lbs.: Matt Wiman (156) vs. Shane Nelson (156.5)***
170 lbs.: Ricardo Funch (171) vs. Johny Hendricks (171)
185 lbs.: Rousimar Palhares (186) vs. Lucio Linhares (185)
170 lbs.: DaMarques Johnson (171) vs. Edgar Garcia (173)****
170 lbs.: Kevin Burns (171) vs. TJ Grant (171)

*Sanchez initially weighed in at 156, but made weight (154.5) on his second attempt.

**Belcher and Gouveia have agreed to fight at a catchweight of 195 lbs.

***Nelson made weight on his second attempt.

****Garcia made weight after the official ceremonies.

Live stream and replay courtesy of UFC.com.

Remember that MMAmania.com will provide LIVE round-by-round, blow-by-blow coverage of the main card action on fight night (Saturday, Dec. 12), which is slated to air at 10 p.m. ET on pay-per-view from the FedEx Forum. The latest quick updates of the live action will begin to flow earlier than that around 8 p.m. ET with the preliminary bouts.

It’s going to be a fun night of fights so don’t miss it. And remember to check us out for all the pre, during and post-fight UFC 107 coverage you can handle.

UFC 107 predictions, preview and analysis

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 12:14 PM PST

107-tomorrow_medium
UFC 107: "Penn vs. Sanchez" is set to go down this Saturday, December 12, 2009 from the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tennessee, live via pay-per-view.

Remember: MMAmania.com will provide LIVE updates with blow-by-blow, round-by-round commentary of the main card action on fight night, which is slated to air on PPV at 10 p.m. ET.

To get us pumped for the event, MMAmania.com Editor and Senior Writer, Jesse Holland (that’s me), has once again rallied the troops for a breakdown of the televised main card fights. All your favorite contributors are here, bringing you an in-depth look at each contest.

One of the big stories coming into this event is of course the headlining fight between BJ Penn and Diego Sanchez. Will Saturday night be a "Nightmare" for the Hawaiian "Prodigy" -- or just another day at the office?

And who's next in line for a 155-pound title shot after this fight?

There are also a lot of unanswered questions regarding the future of Cheick Kongo. Is it reasonable to believe that the power-puncher has a future in the UFC if he falls to Frank Mir?

And does a win for Mir give him the right to challenge Shane Carwin?

Also on tap is the lightweight scrap between Kenny Florian and Clay Guida. "The Carpenter" has sawed through a good portion of the 155-pound roster -- but can't seem to land that big-time win. Would stopping "Ken Flo" put him in the title hunt?

And how long before Florian becomes the official gatekeeper of this division?

There will certainly be a lot to talk about on Sunday morning.

I’ve also included the current betting lines for each fight so that you can get a feel for what the money has to say about the chances of each combatant.

Now, enough with the formalities … let’s get cracking:

155 lbs.: BJ "The Prodigy" Penn (14-5-1) vs. Diego "Nightmare" Sanchez (21-2)

Derek Bolender predicts: B.J. Penn will put his lightweight belt on the line against another formidable challenger in Diego Sanchez on Saturday night. Sanchez gets the title shot after going 2 - 0 since dropping from welterweight to lightweight with back-to-back victories over Joe Stevenson and Clay Guida.

His dashing good looks and a little bit of popularity from his reality television days on The Ultimate Fighter Season 1 didn't hurt either. Both went a long way in expediting the process.

Nevertheless, "Nightmare" is probably the best all-around fighter Penn has faced at the lightweight level since he fought Takanori Gomi back in 2003. He has Lance Armstrong-like endurance, minus the bicycle, but with two balls. He also has plenty of experience, above average kickboxing and wrestling, and he's a brown belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

His mental strength is off the charts too. Like George Clooney, if he stared long enough into the eyes of goat it may very well topple over. If only his Jedi mind tricks were good enough to make Penn hit the canvas ...

The problem I have with Sanchez is that everything he does well Penn does that much better. Couple Penn's skills with his burning desire to leave a legacy and go down as one of the best MMA fighters in history and it's a lethal combination.

The only knock on Penn at this point remains his cardio, but why? I'm not sure why it is even still part of the debate? It's like he caught the poor cardio herpes virus early in his career and it flares back up every couple of months when he has a fight. He simply can't shake it. In reality, it hasn't been an issue since 2006 when he lost the welterweight championship to Matt Hughes at UFC 63.

Right now you could argue "The Prodigy" is in the best shape of his career. After hooking up with strength and conditioning coach Marv Marinovich prior to his UFC 101 fight with Kenny Florian he hasn't stopped raving about him. We all saw the product of their relationship play out before our very eyes as he thoroughly dominated Florian in every facet of the game.

Unlike Florian, however, Sanchez has never been submitted or knocked out in his professional career and I do not expect Penn to be able to finish him either. Sanchez can and will do enough to survive. He has an innate ability to scramble out of danger when he needs to.

The key to the fight will be Penn's ability to repeatedly stop Sanchez's takedown attempt onslaught. Consequently, it will morph into a kickboxing match with Penn's world class hands ultimately being the deciding factor.

Penn is simply too technical and too good of a striker to lose the stand-up war. He will eventually settle in, properly gauge distance, start to find his timing and rhythm, and slowly pick Sanchez apart.

It has been roughly eight years since Penn has lost at 155 pounds. At this point I do not see anyone in the UFC that can beat him. The belt is his until he gets bored or retires.

Only Penn will be doing the "yes cartwheel" after this one.

Betting lines (as of Dec. 11):

Penn: -300 ((Bet Now))

Sanchez: +220 ((Bet Now))

Prediction: Penn via unanimous decision

265 lbs.: Frank Mir (12-4) vs. Cheick Kongo (14-5-1)

Adam Wagner predicts: Forget the fact that Frank Mir looked to be all bark and no bite in his last venture into the Octagon at UFC 100 and remember a handful of things: 1. Physically, Mir hasn’t looked this good since breaking arms and taking straps back in his heyday in 2004; 2. He got the snot beat out of him by a freak of nature that outweighs gravity; 3. Even on his worst day, Mir can out-roll Kongo with ease, just as long as he can get the fight to the ground.

In many ways, that title unification bout against Lesnar was the best thing that could have happened to Frank Mir. Not only did it get him focused and back in the gym, but the loss (and Lesnar’s post-fight antics) left a bad taste in Mir’s mouth. A decisive victory over Kongo is just the mouthwash he needs.

With all due respect to Cheick Kongo — similar to Lesnar in that he’s also a freak of nature in brute size — his only chance of winning this fight is to elbow and/or knee Mir’s chin into the third row. A 10-fight UFC veteran, Kongo has looked tough enough in TKO victories over a who’s who of UFC gatekeepers. But he’s never been able to get over that hump. His unanimous decision loss to Cain Velasquez at UFC 99 was gut-wrenching. I honestly felt sorry for the guy after watching him barely be able to stand following the closing bell.

If he can catch Mir — something Lesnar, Brandon Vera and Marcio Cruz have all done since the former champ’s return to MMA following a brutal motorcycle accident that nearly ended his career — Kongo can virtually end discussion of a Lesnar vs. Mir 2 while putting the naysayers out to pasture on his own heavyweight title dreams. But a loss here for Kongo will likely cement his gatekeeper status.

Betting lines (as of Dec. 11):

Mir: -210 ((Bet Now))

Kongo: +165 ((Bet Now))

Prediction: Mir via submission

155 lbs.: Kenny "KenFlo" Florian (11-4) vs. Clay "The Carpenter" Guida (25-10)

James Iannotti predicts: Regardless of who his opponent is, Clay Guida always seems to be in these ridiculously close fights. There's always drama at the end and nobody ever really seems to win or lose. That has to do something with the fact that he also always seems to be fighting one of the top division contenders. Perhaps his huge heart allows him to match up well with more talented fighters. Either way, nobody can ever accuse him of fighting cupcake opponents.

Things won't get easier in this fight either. In fact, Kenny Florian will probably be his toughest fight to date.

Guida has decent stand up, but he's not as technical or as skilled as Florian is on his feet. "Ken Flo" should be able to win the majority of the stand up exchanges. Striking won't be the difference maker in this fight though. If it is, then Guida is in trouble. No, this fight is going to come down to takedowns, who can score them and who can stuff them.

Guida will obviously be looking to put Florian on his back early and often. That's what he does. But don't be surprised with Florian's ability to defend those takedowns and even score points with takedowns of his own during this fight too.

"Ken Flo" has become a lot more confident in his wrestling and overall strength in the last year or so. Look no further than his strategy against BJ Penn - probably the most important fight of his career - which was primarily to wear the champ down with wrestling. It didn't work out so well, but still, it shows Florian's confidence in his wrestling.

Don't expect Florian to turn into a grind-it-out decision type fighter after this fight is over. He takes too much pride in finishing his opponents, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him forced into beating Guida at his own game in this one.

Basically Florian is better in pretty much every aspect of the fight. Guida's only hope is to somehow get takedowns and then be as efficient as possible with his ground strikes, then hope that he did enough to win the decision at the end.

Florian is too aggressive and too skilled to allow Guida to just grind out a decision from on top of him though. Even if Guida is successful with a takedown or two, once the fight hits the mat, he'll be dealing with a far superior grappler and comparable wrestler.

This is a bad match up for Guida.

I think Florian frustrates and wears him down for two long rounds before finishing him off with a submission in the third. Florian is just too talented. Guida's heart has kept him in a lot of fights, but it won't be enough in this one.

Betting lines (as of Dec. 11):

Florian: -210 ((Bet Now))

Guida: +165 ((Bet Now))

Prediction: Florian via submission

170 lbs.: Jon Fitch (19-3) vs. Mike Pierce (10-2)

Nate Lawson predicts: Beginning his career in the UFC with eight straight victories, Jon Fitch was set on a path to mixed martial arts stardom and a shot at Georges St. Pierre’s welterweight title. However, it was not meant to be, as St. Pierre brutalized Fitch en route to a unanimous decision at UFC 87.

The former Purdue wrestler returned to the Octagon strong with a victory over Akihiro Gono at UFC 94 and another one against Paulo Thiago at UFC 100 this past July. With another winning streak brewing, Fitch has been placed up against a notable wrestler in Mike Pierce.

Pierce is running with a six-fight winning streak, with his most recent win coming over Brock Larson at UFC Fight Night 19 this past Sept. The enormous upset marked Pierce’s debut with the promotion, and he has landed a big name match up in Fitch.

This welterweight bout should feature a wrestling war, but if the ground game becomes too even, the two may elect to stand and bang. However, Fitch’s wrestling is top-notch and even if Pierce can put him on his back, the former Boilermaker’s guard is one of the toughest to pass, leaving Pierce without many options on the ground.

While Pierce has shown that he can finish fights (he as finished six of his 10 victories via knockout), if Fitch could survive the five round beatdown issued by St. Pierre at UFC 87, then a stoppage victory for Pierce seems unlikely.

Fitch does not hold a large amount of knockout power and his jiu-jitsu may not be strong enough to finish Pierce, but he has become a master at scoring points and apparently does not mind letting judges decide the winner.

Look for the two to grind out the clock to a decision, as Fitch will once again grab a unanimous decision nod from the judges and send Pierce back to Ultimate Fight Night under cards.

Betting lines (as of Dec. 11):

Fitch: -400 ((Bet Now))

Pierce: +300 ((Bet Now))

Prediction: Fitch via unanimous decision

265 lbs.: Paul "The Headhunter" Buentello (27-10) vs. Stefan "Skyscraper" Struve (18-3)

Akimitsu Kuwabara predicts: The "Headhunter" returns to action against the Dutch "Skyscraper" in a match that pits experience against youth and striking against grappling.

Paul Buentello dispatched "Baby Fedor," Kiril Sidelnikov in his last fight in January at "Affliction – Day of Reckoning." Despite falling short in high-profile fights over his career – notably, the UFC heavyweight title bout against Andrei Arlovski at UFC 55 and the Strikeforce bout in November 2007 against Alistair Overeem for the belt that has since been collecting dust in Overeem’s bedroom – he is a grizzled veteran with twelve years of experience and 37 fights under his belt.

Stefan Struve, on the other hand, has been picking up steam in his young career with consecutive submission victories over Denis Stojnic and Chase Gormley after receiving a rude welcome to UFC from the fast-rising Junior Dos Santos at UFC 95. While hailing from the kickboxing powerhouse of Holland, the lanky 6’11" heavyweight has become known for his submission prowess, having earned 14 of his 18 career victories by submission.

One of the most striking features of the match-up is the sizable reach advantage Struve enjoys thanks to his height. Struve’s Dhalsim-like limbs, if utilized properly, can frustrate and keep Buentello at bay on the feet. Yet, if some of his recent fights are any indication, Struve does not have the technical acumen to take full advantage of his physical gift in striking. Moreover, his strength and key to victory lie in his submission savvy: Having shown a preference for executing takedowns from the clinch or pulling guard over shooting for a single/double-leg, he needs to close the distance without being starched by Buentello’s power punches.

Buentello possesses power in his hands and if he can effectively swarm and land clean shots on Struve like Dos Santos and Stojnic did, he can collapse the "Skyscraper." He possesses decent takedown defense so Struve will face a tough task of taking the fight to the mat. Nonetheless, the question remains as to how well Buentello handles Struve’s height and reach. He has demonstrated the speed and jab to control the distance in his past fights but will they be sufficient against Struve?

With his recent exile from the long-time home of AKA due to management issue, lengthy layoff, and lack of quality wins in recent memory, Buentello invites numerous questions regarding his physical and mental shape, as well as the overall standing in the rapidly improving UFC heavyweight division.

Struve still has a way to go in rounding out his skill set, and while Buentello will never be mistaken for a top-notch wrestler, dragging him to the mat will not be easy. Also, if he has not mended his porous striking defense, he will unwittingly give Buentello an open invitation for a knockout, come fight time. There is a good chance that Buentello will force him to show the same tenacity he did in the bloody come-back victory against Denis Stojnic and pull guard to initiate a ground battle.

Though Struve remains somewhat of an unknown quantity and has a good chance of submission victory, Buentello is the safe bet here: Buentello’s power shots eventually find their target and the "Headhunter" piles in for the kill.

Betting lines (as of Dec. 11):

Buentello: *Even* ((Bet Now))

Struve: -130 ((Bet Now))

Prediction: Buentello via technical knockout

That’s a wrap, folks.

Remember to come check us out after the show for all the latest results, recaps and coverage of UFC 107: "Penn vs. Sanchez."

What do you think? Now it’s your turn … let us have it in the comments section and share your thoughts and picks for Saturday’s event.

Kazuo Misaki and Gegard Mousasi join Dec. 31 FieLDS Dynamite!! event

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 12:06 PM PST

Dynamite2_medium
The monumental "DREAM vs. SRC" – themed Dynamite!! 2009 New Year’s Event is now less than four weeks away. While much hype has built around the merged fight card, the details regarding the NYE matchmaking have been scarce.

The general opaqueness of operation and down-to-the-wire shuffling of fight card by Japanese MMA organizations are nothing new. Nonetheless, the fans have been getting anxious, considering the multitude of high-profile clashes between fighters from the two preeminent forces in Japanese MMA.

In the past few days, several participants in the NYE fight card have been confirmed. Also, FEG president Sadaharu Tanigawa has unveiled on twitter that he would like to announce the whole 19-bout fight card in one press conference. As of now, it looks like Yoshihiro "Kiss" Nakao and Bob Sapp will not fight in the event.

According to MMAfanhouse, Strikeforce Light Heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi will once again fight under the K-1 rule in one of the K-1 vs. MMA showdowns. The 24 year-old fought the Japanese K-1 legend, Musashi, at Dynamite!! 2008 and won by first-round TKO.

One of Strikeforce’s recent high-profile acquisitions, Melvin Manhoef has also committed himself to fighting in the Dynamite!! After a successful last-minute entry in Dynamite!! 2008 in which he toppled the heavyweight K-1/MMA veteran, Mark Hunt in 18 seconds, he hopes to make another NYE appearance before a tentative Strikeforce showdown with Robbie Lawler in 2010.

Fresh off the fourth successful K-1 World Grand Prix title run last weekend, Semmy Schilt hopes to return to Japan on NYE as well. Kazuyuki Fujita, Josh Barnett, and Hiroshi Izumi have surfaced as possible opponents for him in a MMA match.

On Friday December 11, the executive committee of World Victory Road officially lifted its suspension of PRIDE veteran, Kazuo Misaki. Misaki was placed on indefinite suspension in July following a run-in with Tokyo police earlier in the year. Charged with interference with public servant, Misaki competed in August in Sengoku and emerged triumphant over Kazuhiro Nakamura; however, the suspension cost him his fight salary and title shot against Jorge Santiago.

As the recently dismissed World Victory Road director, Takahiro Kokuho hinted previously, Misaki’s good behavior, along with his diligent effort to contribute to Japanese MMA through coaching and cornering roles has been the key in his absolution. Also, the committee acknowledges Misaki’s status as one of the few successful Japanese fighters in the middle-weight divisions that are ruled by non-Japanese fighters in Japan and overseas.

Misaki recently announced his split from his longtime home of SRC-affiliated Grabaka gym. Citing his intent to "start from scratch," he has not divulged the details regarding his training situation. Nonetheless, he is now scheduled for appearance in Dynamite!! 2009, possibly against the fellow PRIDE veteran and Japanese MMA legend, Kazushi Sakuraba.

Stay tuned to MMAmania for more information about the Dynamite!! 2009 fight card. The full 19-fight card is expected to be announced next week.

UFC 107 pre-fight video interviews with "Penn vs Sanchez" under card fighters

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 11:47 AM PST

<

Alan Belcher, Wilson Gouveia, Johnny Hendricks, Ricardo Funch, Rousimar Palhares and Lucio Linhares all weigh in on their respective bouts for tomorrow night (Dec. 12).

UFC Undisputed 2010 release date with Kimbo Slice and Forrest Griffin presenting

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 09:47 AM PST

Undisputed-logo_medium

UFC Undisputed 2010, the sequel to the 2009 version of the popular mixed martial arts video game from THQ, will be unveiled tomorrow night (Dec. 12) at the Spike TV Video Game Awards (VGA) by special guest presenters Kimbo Slice and Forrest Griffin.

The release date for UFC Undisputed 2010 is tentatively scheduled for May 21, 2010, across Europe on PlayStation 3, X-Box 360 and PlayStation Portable (PSP), according to Electronic Theater. Expect a U.S. release to come on or around that same date.

UFC President Dana White first announced 'UFC Undisputed 2010' back in May, and it's not unreasonable to think that THQ has upped the ante in this new version in response to the pending debut of Electronic Arts "EA Sports MMA."

Competition breeds excellence and with two major publishers vying for a very specific market, the fans choice for their digitized butt-kicking could depend on just the slightest of variables.

Will average gamers gravitate towards the THQ sequel because of the UFC roster -- even if EA produces a superior product with lesser known fighters?

While it's too early to tell which publishing house will deliver the more realistic (and ultimately more enjoyable) game, it will be interesting to see how many gamers EA can snag without the UFC brand (though they do have the license to Randy Couture's likeness).

‘UFC Undisputed 2009′ was the first video game for the promotion since Ultimate Fighting Championship: "Sudden Impact" back in 2004 — five very long years. Fortunately for fans it won't take nearly as long for the sequel.

Look for more information and footage of in-game action at the Spike VGA's tomorrow night starting at 8 p.m. ET.

Matt Hughes vs Renzo Gracie likely for UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 07:04 AM PST

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes (43-7) may have finally locked in an opponent for his 2010 return as he will likely welcome jiu-jitsu legend Renzo Gracie (13-6-1) to the Octagon at the upcoming UFC 112 event in Abu Dhabi.

"Country Breakfast" on his return:

"I didn’t know if I could say anything about my next fight, but I see that Dana has let the cat out of the bag. So I can tell you what I know, on April 10th I will be fighting Renzo Gracie in Abu Dhabi. I haven’t signed any paperwork and I don’t think Renzo has either; but I think this fight is going to happen. That’s all I know, serious training will start for me at the new year."

Hughes was adamant about making one last run in the UFC 170-pound division — though he wasn't chomping at the bit to throw leather with up-and-coming stars like Josh Koscheck or Mike Swick, who did their best to call out the fighting farmhand.

Following his unanimous decision win over Matt Serra at UFC 98: "Evans vs. Machida," the future Hall of Famer signed a four-fight contract that will likely keep him in the Octagon for the remainder of his career.

While he may not compete long enough to satisfy all four fights, he has indicated that his only desire is to face opponents that he finds interesting, like his 2006 scrap against UFC pioneer Royce Gracie.

Maybe the win he holds over the famed Gracie grappler is what prompted Renzo to consider battling Hughes in his Octagon debut -- or perhaps it was Hughes looking for revenge after Gracie submitted longtime friend and mentor Pat Miletich at IFL: "Gracie vs. Miletich" -- also in 2006.

The son of Robson Gracie has competed both stateside and Internationally including eight times under the PRIDE banner, but never for the UFC. He hasn't seen action since a second round disqualification win over Frank Shamrock at Elite XC: "Destiny" back in February 2007.

While the 42-year-old Gracie is six years Hughes' elder, the contrast in styles could still result in an interesting match-up.

And that's exactly what Hughes has been asking for -- though it can be said that sometimes you should be careful what you wish for.

You just might get it.

Stay tuned to MMAmania.com for more information on UFC 112, which has yet to be officially announced by the promotion, as it develops.

Wanderlei Silva signs UFC 110 fight contract for Michael Bisping on Feb. 21 in Australia (Video)

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 06:56 AM PST

Gerald Harris vs Mike Massenzio for Ultimate Fight Night 20 with Tim Credeur hurt

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 06:20 AM PST

Gerald-harris_medium

An undisclosed injury has forced "Crazy" Tim Credeur to withdraw from his upcoming fight against Mike Massenzio at the Jan. 11 Ultimate Fight Night 20 event from the Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA, according to MMAMadness.com.

Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 7 contestant Gerald Harris has answered the call to face the Paterson native.

Harris (13-2) was bounced from the Spike TV reality show by eventual winner Amir Sadollah. Since then, Harris has been on a torrid six-fight winning streak, including a devastating knockout over Nissen Osterneck this past September to become the Shark Fights middleweight champion.

Massenzio (11-3) is a two-time high school state wrestling and a national junior college champion from Bergen Community College out of Paramus, N.J. He was among several talented fighters the UFC signed to multi-fight contracts after the now defunct International Fight League (IFL) fire sale.

He looked impressive in his debut for the promotion, submitting Drew McFedries via first round submission (Kimura) at UFC Fight Night 15 in Omaha, Neb., on September 17. He was cooled off in his sophomore effort by CB Dollaway in December of 2008 despite the controversial "Tapgate" fiasco.

This will be an exciting match up between two very talented middleweights.

UFC Fight Night 20 features a rematch between Ultimate Fighter rivals Gray Maynard (8-0) and Nate Diaz (11-4), who will duke it out in a possible number one contender bout for the 155-pound title. Undefeated lightweights Efrain Escudero and Evan Dunham are also scheduled to hook 'em up.

For more on UFC Fight Night 20 click here.

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com