Wednesday, October 20, 2010

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com


Fedor Emelianenko defeats Randy Couture via strikes during EA Sports MMA fight (Video)

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 06:50 PM PDT

Would art imitate life if the pair were to ever meet inside the cage? Hear what "The Natural" has to say about the likely impossible possibility after the jump:

UFC 125 poster for 'Resolution' in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Jan. 1, 2011

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 05:01 PM PDT

Ufc125poster_medium

To check out the latest UFC 125: "Resolution" fight card and rumors click here.

Report: Jose Aldo declined Kenny Florian fight at December UFC event

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 02:34 PM PDT

Jose-aldo_medium

Sounds like the managers behind WEC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo didn't want "Junior" to go with the "Flo."

Tatame.com reports that Aldo was offered a fight from the UFC to take on former lightweight number one contender Kenny Florian at an upcoming event in December.

According to Aldo, his managers declined the offer and Florian moved forward with a potential Evan Dunham fight tentatively scheduled for UFC 126.

From the 145-pound phenom:

 "They made the proposal. I wanna fight, it can be at WEC or in the UFC."

Did the Aldo camp drop the ball? Or does he have unfinished business in the WEC?

Aldo sounds like he's game for whatever:

 

"Well, for now I’m much focused on my belt defense, and if God helps me we’ll get a win, but we do think about it, not only because of this fight, but also because of the previous ones and because the Americans want to see it, but it’s not up to me… If Dana wants to put me there, we’ll fight."

Or will he? He's rumored to defend his strap against Mark Hominick in January 2011. Let's hear your take on this development, Maniacs.

UFC 121: Sam Stout 'has the recipe' to beat Paul Taylor (Video)

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 02:19 PM PDT

UFC 120 medical suspensions and injuries for 'Bisping vs Akiyama'

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 02:15 PM PDT

Ufcmedicalsuspensions_medium_medium

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) today issued its list of medical suspensions for UFC 120: "Bisping vs. Akiyama," which took place on Saturday, Oct. 16, 2010, from the O2 Arena in London, England.

Without a regulatory body overseas, the promotion handles its suspensions in-house, overseen by former Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Marc Ratner.

As a result, all 20 fighters competing on the UFC 120 fight card received a medical suspension in one form or another, though a majority of them were for precautionary reasons.

Mike Pyle (thumb, wrist), Travis Browne (left hand), Cheick Kongo (right hand) and Rob Broughton (shoulder, chest) however, were not as lucky, and could be out of action up to six months pending a doctor's clearance (including X-Rays).

Broughton will also require an MRI.

But that's not all.

Here is the remaining list of UFC 120 injuries and their medical instructions (via Sherdog.com):

Michael Bisping: Suspended 30 days; no contact for 21 days
Yoshihiro Akiyama: Suspended 45 days; no contact for 30 days
Dan Hardy: Suspended 20 days; no contact for 21 days
Carlos Condit: Suspended 14 days; no contact for 14 days
John Hathaway: Suspended 30 days; no contact for 21 days
James Wilks: Suspended 30 days; no contact for 21 days
Claude Patrick: Suspended 14 days; no contact for 14 days
Cyrille Diabate: Suspended 45 days; no contact for 30 days
Alexander Gustafsson: Suspended 14 days; no contact for 14 days
Vinicius Kappke de Quieroz: Suspended 45 days; no contact for 30 days
Paul Sass: Suspended 14 days; no contact for 14 days
Mark Holst: Suspended 14 days; no contact for 14 days
Spencer Fisher: Suspended 14 days; no contact for 14 days
Kurt Warburton: Suspended 30 days; no contact for 21 days
James McSweeney: Suspended 45 days; no contact for 30 days
Fabio Maldonado: Suspended 30 days, no contact for 21 days

Just a quick reminder: Fighters often return to action much quicker once doctors give them the green light. The lengthy suspensions are just a precaution in most cases.

For complete UFC 120 results and blow-by-blow coverage of the main card action click here and here.

Former heavyweight deities Fedor Emelianenko and Randy Couture come together to celebrate today's...

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 01:50 PM PDT

Fedor-randy-ea

Former heavyweight deities Fedor Emelianenko and Randy Couture come together to celebrate today's launch of "EA Sports MMA" video game.

Lyoto Machida reunites with wrestling coach to 'hold off Rampage’s takedowns' at UFC 123

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 12:48 PM PDT

Machidatsilvako_medium

Props: Graciemag

Quoteworthy:

"It’s time for him to train in a more professional manner, at the same pace as his opponents. And he is managing to do so in Los Angeles, in the company of his brothers, as always. Training with Rico Chiaparelli is really important for him to hold off Rampage’s takedowns."

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida has reunited with his old wrestling coach Rico Chiaparelli. The father and mentor of "The Dragon" believes that Quinton Jackson will try to utilize takedowns in the bout with his son at UFC 123. Despite his reputation as one of the best counter punchers in the sport, "Rampage" did have a wrestling background in high school and was going to pursue a career in professional wrestling. Do you believe this is the right strategy for Machida? Or should "The Dragon" worry more about Jackson's boxing than his takedowns?

UFC 121: Brendan Schaub wants to elevate his career, starting with a win over Gabriel Gonzaga

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 12:40 PM PDT

Gyi0060957979_medium

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) season 10 runner-up Brendan Schaub (6-1) faces once top title contender Gabriel Gonzaga (11-5) at UFC 121: "Lesnar vs Velasquez" on Oct. 23 from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California.

With any luck, we may see Schaub in the Octagon for longer than two minutes. 

The former AFL player and member of the Buffalo Bills practice squad, "The Hybrid" has gone 2-1 in the UFC and has finished two opponents in one minute and 54 seconds. He's spend a grand total of five minutes and 50 seconds in his career wins.

Schaub knows the quick stoppages are a gift and a curse.

"These last two fights have ended pretty quick and that's kind of a double edged sword. I do need some cage time."

In his career, Schaub was 4-0 and had a very impressive run on TUF season 10. His hopes of being a TUF 10 winner, however were dashed by Roy Nelson.

"I just got caught behind the ear in that Roy fight and I think it shows that I've learned from that."

Two knockout victories over Chase Gormley and Chris Tuchscherer helped wash away the taste of defeat

While "The Hybrid" is finishing his fights as quick as Mike Tyson did in the 80s, he isn't overjoyed with the quick victories.

"You don't learn too much just throwing a right hand at the guy and he's falling to the ground and the fights over in a minute or under a minute. I train so hard and I work on a lot of different tools that I bring to the Octagon and those last two guys just haven't been up to the test. I think Gonzaga is gonna be different. I think he's a guy where I can display how hard I work and (show) some different techniques. I think it will take more than one shot to put him away. 

Sick of competing against "fat wrestlers," Schaub was thrilled when he found out that "Napao" would be his next opponent.

"I was pumped, in all my post fight interviews after the Tuchscherer fight at UFC 116 I was asking for an upper echelon guy and that's what I felt I deserved to work my way up. When they called me with Gabe Gonzaga on the biggest fight card of the year I was just ecstatic."

Schaub realizes that a win over a man who's only losses are to Fabricio Werdum (twice), Randy Couture, Shane Carwin and Junior dos Santos would elevate his career.

"This is a great opportunity for me. Gabe's been in there with the best of the best and he's a UFC legend as far as heavyweights go and one of the best in the world. I feel like I can compete with anyone in the UFC and now it's time to go out there and prove it. Not only do I get a chance to prove it, but I get to prove it on one of the biggest cards in UFC history. I've trained my tail off and now I'm ready to get out to LA and put on a show." 

"The hybrid" knows how well rounded Gonzaga is, but he also knows that there are holes in his game.

"Gabe is one of those guys that can do it all. At the same time, he does make some mistakes. He opens up sometimes and I plan to capitalize on that. I just think using my speed and athleticism can be the difference in this fight."

Taking a fight to the ground usually isn't a good idea when your opponent has a BJJ pedigree, but Schaub is prepared to take the fight wherever it goes.

"I definitely think my biggest advantage is on the feet and I'm sure he thinks his biggest advantage is on the ground. I go against phenomenal black belts everyday in camp. I've been in some pretty bad positions, so if it does go to the ground I'm prepared for that as well."

A difference in this fight could be conditioning. While Gonzaga doesn't believe it will play a role in the fight saying "this won't mean much. One punch can change everything," Schaub thinks otherwise.

"I think my conditioning is one of my strongest attributes and if he's looking to end this fight early because he's not in shape then he's in for a rude awakening. I've been training my butt off. This is a fight to make a name for myself and get up there with the stars of the UFC and if he thinks I haven't been training then Gonzaga is kidding himself."

For an up and coming fighter, the pressure can be overwhelming. Especially if that fighter is on the main card of a main event featuring Brock Lesnar. For "The Hybrid" it's just something he's been waiting for.

"When I found out I was gonna be on this card it was just like yep that's why I work so hard. This what I want, this is what I dream of. I've got a great opponent on the biggest card of the year and I couldn't ask for more."

Will UFC 121 be Schaub's night?

For more on Schaub, catch the replay of MMAmania.com's exclusive presentation of Pro MMA Radio by clicking here.

Matt Hamill: 'Ortiz will be my opponent, nothing else'

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 12:39 PM PDT

Tito-matt-3_medium

Props: MMA Fighting

Quoteworthy:

"This is a big test for me and what I am capable of, I had to get the mindset of our friendship out of the door when I learned who I was fighting. It's business. I don't want to make the same mistakes I did with Rich Franklin. In the cage, (Ortiz) will be my opponent – nothing else."

Matt Hamill was under the tutelage of Tito Ortiz on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) season 3. Who knew almost five years later the two fighters would lock horns in the Octagon? "The Hammer" doesn't want to give the same respect he gave his good friend Rich Franklin over two years ago to Ortiz. Hamill has been on a roll since that fight with "Ace," going on a four fight winning streak. It's been the exact opposite for the "Huntington Beach Bad Boy" who hasn't had a victory in over four years. Can Ortiz break the winning streak of "The Hammer?" Or will Ortiz continue his own streak? The losing one. 

Brock Lesnar video on ESPNs 'SportsCenter' to promote Cain Velasquez fight at UFC 121

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 11:47 AM PDT

UFC 120 ratings on Spike TV reach 1.9 million for 'Bisping vs Akiyama'

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 09:57 AM PDT

Condit-ko_medium

UFC 120: "Bisping vs. Akiyama," which marked the return to London's O2 Arena for the Zuffa-owned promotion, reeled in an average of 1.9 million viewers on Spike TV, according to figures released from the cable television network earlier today.

The tape-delayed broadcast drew a 1.3 household rating, a 1.8 rating in the Male 18-49 demographic and a 2.24 in the Male 18-34 demo.

In comparison, UFC on Versus 2: "Jones vs. Matyushenko" was viewed by an average of 991,000 fight fans last August while the UFC 110: "Noguiera vs. Velasquez" replay scored an average of 1.4 million viewers back in February.

"Bisping vs. Akiyama," featuring a headlining bout between division contenders Michael Bisping and Yoshihiro Akiyama, saw the two middleweights slug it out for a three round "Fight of the Night" that "The Count" took on all three judge's scorecards.

In the night's co-main event, The "Natural Born Killer," Carlos Condit, spoiled the British homecoming of fellow welterweight Dan Hardy by pasting "The Outlaw" en route to a first round knockout win.

For complete UFC 120 results and blow-by-blow coverage of the main card action click here and here.

Brock Lesnar vs Cain Velasquez odds for UFC 121 in Anaheim

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 09:30 AM PDT

Lesnar-velasquez_medium

Preliminary odds and betting lines have continued to shift for the upcoming UFC 121 main event from the Honda Center on Oct. 23 in Anaheim, California, featuring a titanic heavyweight showdown between division champion Brock Lesnar and undefeated challenger Cain Velasquez.

As the "Cain Train" continues to pick up speed, the yawning chasm that was the betting lines in favor of Lesnar are now nothing more than a crack in the sidewalk.

We're five days away from the promotion's biggest pay-per-view of the year, and Brock Lesnar is now a -135 favorite to Cain Velasquez, the underdog at +105.

Can "Brown Pride" pull even by fight night?

Whatever your play is, be sure to get 'em in early, and also check out the spread on the other combatants throwing hands at UFC 121, like Jake Shields (-220) vs. Martin Kampmann (+175), by clicking here.

Alessio Sakara UFC 122 training video for Jorge Rivera fight on Nov. 22

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 09:30 AM PDT

Brock Lesnar on UFC 121 heavyweight title fight: 'God Bless America!'

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 08:28 AM PDT

Lesnar-flag_medium

Props: Sherdog.com

Quoteworthy:

"Right now, I’m as lean as I’ve ever been ... A lot of it can be attributed to focusing in on my dieting and eating clean. I’ve also been in the gym for a longer time and have had a quick turnaround for this fight. I was only out of the gym for a couple of weeks before I started getting ready to fight Cain ... The two things I can control when it comes to Oct. 23 are my conditioning and how well I show up for this fight. I just feel blessed and honored to be the UFC champion. I’ve had several chances to re-invent myself, and this is one of them. However, there’s no added pressure for me because I’m the champ. I’m just doing what I like to do. The UFC gives people, including me, a chance to get off the street and have a direction in life. To be able to pay the bills and get in the Octagon and do what I like to do … God bless America."

UFC Heavyweight Champion and staunch patriot Brock Lesnar is apparently not as enthusiastic as Cain Velasquez about having a Mexican Heavyweight Champion, probably because that would require him to cough it up on Saturday night (Oct. 23) in Anaheim. Now that Lesnar is "off the street" and "paying his bills," will he have the ability to keep himself atop the heavyweight throne? Or is Velasquez the heir apparent?

UFC 121: Can Diego Sanchez prove to Dana White he's not 'soft' at 170?

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 07:22 AM PDT

Diego-Softchez

Will the welterweight division be a "Nightmare" for Diego Sanchez?

After up-and-coming prospect John Hathaway steamrolled him at UFC 114 back in May, UFC President Dana White was vocal about the original "Ultimate Fighter's" spot in the 170-pound weight class.

Simply put, White didn't believe he had one.

"I don't think Diego belongs at 170. I think it's easier to be at 170. He looked soft. He looked real lethargic and slow and heavy. [One] fifty-five, Diego. Fifty-five. He's a tough guy. I'm not his manager, but I think he should stay at 155. Listen, a loss to B.J. Penn doesn't mean you go back up to 170. It means you stay at 155 and you do what Kenny Florian did. You stay in there and keep grinding it out and beating the top guys, and you get back in line and work your way up to the top again. Diego does not look good at 170."

Sanchez (21-4) is coming off back-to-back losses for the second time in his career. Despite two exciting fights against Joe Stevenson and Clay Guida (and a possible rematch with Kenny Florian on the horizon) a TKO loss to BJ Penn at UFC 107 had the Albuquerque native packing his bags and heading north.

And the Hathaway loss had a lot of pundits second-guessing the move.

Of course none of this matters if Sanchez can put a bona fide beatdown on Paulo Thiago at UFC 121 this Saturday night (Oct. 23). Yet these recent pictures from his training and preparations under Greg Jackson, who welcomed his former pupil back into his stable, at first glance may give a some credence to White's concerns.

What say you Maniacs, does Diego Sanchez look "soft" heading into Anaheim? Or will he prove that his loss to the "Hitman" earlier this year was just a bump in the road to success?

We'll know for certain on Saturday night.

Junior dos Santos: I will train wrestling with Mark Munoz and Phil Davis to prepare for winner of 'Lesnar vs Velasquez' (Video)

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 06:47 AM PDT

UFC 121: Jake Shields bringing 'American Jiu-Jitsu' to Martin Kampmann fight on Oct. 23

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 06:37 AM PDT

12_jpg_medium

Props: ESPN.com

Quoteworthy:

"I came from a wrestling background, which was kind of the high-paced pressure where you always attack. Then I got into jiu-jitsu, which was kind of the opposite. The idea was to be more tentative, to wait for a little bit, relax and go for submissions. They're both great concepts. I figured with MMA, in a five-minute round, you want that high technical end of the jiu-jitsu with the submissions, but you also want to pressure and bring the fight, so I mixed the two. Brazilians try and say that no-Gi is not Brazilian jiu-jitsu, so that's why I came up with taking two disciplines together, with the high pace of wrestling with the skill and technique of jiu-jitsu. I feel great, and I am doing all I can to get better. I am trying to refine my American jiu-jitsu, and I've been working a ton of striking, as well. I want to go out there and bring it to him. That's my style. And I think Kampmann is a tough opponent. He's a great stand-up fighter, and he's just really well-rounded, with grappling as well. His wrestling's pretty good, too, but I don't think it's at my level."

Former Strikeforce Middleweight Champion Jake Shields has a new style for Martin Kampmann to worry about at UFC 121 on Oct. 23 in Anaheim. The Cesar Gracie product has remained undefeated over five years across the span of 14 fights with victories over Dan Henderson, Robbie Lawler and Jason Miller. Shields has been vocal about his desire to face Georges St. Pierre as a UFC employee and may be one fight away from getting his wish -- unless "The Hitman" has anything to say about it. Anyone thinking the Dane will play spoiler? Or is Shields and his "American Jiu-Jitsu" on another level entirely?

Big day for mixed martial arts video games. "EA Sports MMA" hits store shelves today (Oct. 19)...

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 06:17 AM PDT

Games-side_medium

Big day for mixed martial arts video games.

"EA Sports MMA" hits store shelves today (Oct. 19) while THQ and Zuffa extend their exclusive worldwide agreement (featuring "UFC Undisputed") through 2018.

Tito Ortiz apologizes to the deaf community for 'soft head' comment

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 03:29 AM PDT

Former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Tito Ortiz apologizes for his appearance on HD Net, where he told the viewing audience that Matt Hamill has a soft head because he's deaf.

"The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" meets "The Hammer" at UFC 121 this Saturday night (Oct. 23) in Anaheim.

Check out the offending comment after the jump:

"He's been babied his whole life coming from being deaf of course and he's going to be babied after when I knock him out. He's slow; he's like a big slow ox. I'm going to pick him apart and I know his corner can't really tell him what to do and show him the mistakes he does. I've noticed he's deaf, so he has a soft head, you hit him with more and more shots. You people don't know this. Watch how Franklin knocked him out quick. You hit them with soft shots because their equilibrium, they don't have no equilibrium. And you hit them with shots and you hit them with small shots, I'm not looking' for big shots. I'm looking' for small shots. Little small shots and by the second, middle of the third round you're going to see someone going to sleep and I'll snuggle him."

Did Ortiz go overboard in hyping his fight?

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com