Wednesday, May 13, 2009

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

MMA Quick Quote: Cung Le has an itch

Posted: 12 May 2009 07:52 PM PDT

"Frank (Shamrock) and I have that chemistry, and we both come to fight. Nick (Diaz) comes to fight. I don't know what's going to happen. It would be great to fight Frank again. I don't know if Nick's going to stay in the division. There's a whole bunch of other great middleweights in the division, too. I definitely plan on returning to the cage as soon as possible, but right now I have a couple of things in the works. I definitely have that itch, and I've been training, and you can ask my coach Javier Mendez and Josh Thomson – I'm always working.”

Strikeforce middleweight champion Cung Le talks to MMAWeekly about his desire to return to action after churning out an assortment of upcoming movie roles. He already has two movies set to be released in the near future, including the big screen version of the popular video game "Tekken" in which Le will play the role of Marshall Law. With three more movies in progress it could be a while before Strikeforce puts on another middleweight title fight. It's already been over a year since he captured the title from Frank Shamrock in his hometown of San Jose. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker insists we’ll see Le by the fourth quarter of 2009 — but will the then 37-year-old Le still have the chops to compete in the new-look Strikeforce?

UFC President Dana White on ESPN E:60 for May 12 (Video)

Posted: 12 May 2009 05:08 PM PDT

Check out the rest of Dana White’s E:60 appearance after the jump:

UFC 98 media conference call recap featuring Rashad Evans, Lyoto Machida, Matt Hughes and Matt Serra

Posted: 12 May 2009 04:54 PM PDT

UFC 98: 'Evans vs. Machida' is set to go down Saturday, May 23, 2009 from The MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, live on pay-per-view (PPV) starting at 10p.m. ET.

Remember: MMAmania.com will provide LIVE updates with blow-by-blow, round-by-round commentary of the main card action on fight night, which is slated to air at 10 p.m. ET.

To get us rolling for event, the UFC held a media conference call this afternoon.

The cast of characters this time around were Light Heavyweight Champion “Sugar” Rashad Evans, Number one light heavyweight contender Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida, along with former UFC Welterweight Champions Matt Hughes and Matt “The Terror” Serra.

While the card has been riddled with injuries and last-minute replacements, the four main draws have fortunately avoided incident, giving us still plenty of reasons to get amped for the event.

Without further ado I give you the Evans, Machida, Hughes and Serra conference call:

UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Rashad Evans:

Question to Rashad Evans: A lot of fighters say the hardest part of the sport is keeping that belt. Is there any difference in your mentality now that you’re the guy hunted versus the guy doing the hunting?

Rashad Evans: Honestly, I feel the same. I am actually the underdog going into this fight. So it feels like business as usual.

Question to Rashad Evans: Yeah, about being the underdog. You are currently a nine-to-five underdog. That is a bit surprising given that you are the champion. Are you insulted by that and do you derive any motivation from that?

Rashad Evans: I don’t take it personal. It doesn’t really matter to me either way. It is not first time I have been the underdog. I haven’t lost yet so…

Question to Rashad Evans: How significant do you think this fight is for MMA given the fact that I can’t remember the last time their was a title fight where neither fighter has been beaten?

Rashad Evans: Winning the fight will certainly be an accomplishment. So yeah, you can think it is a big deal. But when I go into a fight, I don’t worry about whether I am undefeated or not. At the end of the day, it’s just another fight. I am just trying to win that one fight.

Question to Rashad Evans: Fans saw a turning point in your career with the Liddell knockout and you solidified your spot as an elite light heavyweight when you beat Forrest Griffin and took the belt. Did you feel an internal turning out or have you always felt that you’re an elite fighter?

Rashad Evans: I always felt like I was on an elite level and it is just a matter of performing up to that level. Sometimes you go out there and you may feel like you’re going to have a great performance and sometimes you feel like “Damn, I sucked today.” You never know what fights are going to be put together and how you might feel on fight day. My last two fights, I had great performances. I’m going to keep putting those performance together; keep my mindset.

Question to Rashad Evans: When you fight an opponent you usually find a reference point for their biggest vulnerability. With Machida, no one has really been to exploit any weaknesses. What problems have that presented in terms of game planning?

Rashad Evans: It doesn’t present problems. Watching someone fight and breaking them down, sometimes the best ammunition is just knowing what you can do well and seeing that you’ll be able to do that. So, I am not worried about game planning at all.

Question to Rashad Evans: After Keith Jardine’s fight with Rampage Jackson, you and Jackson had a confrontation in the ring. After that fight he had to have surgery. Was there a part of you that wanted Rampage next because he beat your friend and you had that confrontation in the cage?

Rashad Evans: I definitely wanted to fight him but I actually think Lyoto is more deserving of the title shot; I think he is a better fight then Rampage Jackson. He has done more to get the shot; either way I want to fight the best.

UFC Light Heavyweight number one contender Lyoto Machida:

Question to Lyoto Machida: Since the first UFC, the goal has been to figure out which marital art is the best. Do you feel Karate is the best martial art for MMA being that you’re undefeated?

Lyoto Machida: I believe that martial art is not what builds the athlete. The athlete builds his own art. It is a matter of how you train and how consistent you are and how you strive for things that determine what kind of athlete you are.

Question to Lyoto Machida: Both you and Rashad have a counter-striking style. Rashad tends to employ a feeling out process and gets stronger as the fight goes on. Will it be important for you to get off to an early start?

Lyoto Machida: I am very relaxed right now. I have trained a lot based on Rashad’s gameplan and built my gameplan for this fight around that. I think Rashad is a great fighter and has had some great performances. For myself, I am going to go out their with a clear mind and do what I train to do.

Question to Lyoto Machida: This is your first main event in the UFC. Do you feel any added pressure not only to win the fight but put on a good show for the fans?

Lyoto Machida: Of course there is always a little pressure for a main event. One of my main priorities is to put on a great performance and really satisfy my fans. If I come out relaxed and focus on the fight it will be a great fight.

Question to Lyoto Machida: You have said that your body is your sword. Can you clarify what that means?

Lyoto Machida: What I mean through this figure of speech is that I see my body as a sword, as a samurai would, because I need to get at my opponent and I need to harm my opponent; that is what I look to do.

Question to Lyoto Machida: Do you feel like your title shot was overdue or it is coming at just the right time?

Lyoto Machida: I think the title shot came at a great time. I have had a lot of time to grow as a fighter. While I could say that it took awhile; it all worked out and I am now perfectly prepared.

Question to Lyoto Machida: You are known to be an elusive counter-striker but Rashad has the belt. Are you going to go after Rashad and take the belt from him, especially if he employs a very conservative gameplan?

Lyoto Machida: It is hard to say before a fight but I will look for my chance to engage. I am aware Rashad is the champion and I will go in there and go after the belt.

Former UFC Welterweight Champion Matt Hughes:

Question to Matt Hughes: You were hugely popular and have a massive following in the sport. Then you go into TUF 6 as a coach against Matt Serra and it seems like a lot of the fans turned to him in respect to the grudge ya’ll have. Do you feel he stole any fans from you and that you have been a bit vilified since the show?

Matt Hughes: No I don’t feel that. If I lost fans because of TUF 6 then they weren’t fans of me before the show and they weren’t really fans to begin with.

Question to Matt Hughes: This fight was supposed to take place awhile back. In the interim both of you have had injuries. How does the fight change in terms of significance and how do you feel about it compared to when it was supposed to happen?

Matt Hughes: I don’t think it changes a whole lot. Yeah we have both had injuries and that happens in our sport. I think the fans still want to see this fight. Obviously the both of us still want this fight. So the bottom line is that nothing has really changed.

Question to Matt Hughes: This is the longest you have gone without fighting. How have you trained differently for fight?

Matt Hughes: Well I am getting older so the time off was pretty nice. I have switched things up a bit and gone out to a lot training camps versus staying close to some.

Former UFC Welterweight Champion Matt Serra:

Question to Matt Serra: Do you feel a swing in the other direction (of fan like or dislike after TUF 6)?

Matt Serra: I think whenever you are an outspoken guy and voice your opinion you are going to have guys that either love you or hate you. I get my fair share of fan mail and I also get hate mail. It is all apart of the game and I don’t mind that aspect. I don’t sweat it either way.

Question for Matt Serra: Some people believe Matt Hughes was one of the best wrestlers in the welterweight division and you were one of the best BJJ practitioners. You are obviously willing to go to the ground with him, but are you going to stand and trade with him? You have said if you punch him in the face it’s a win for you.

Matt Serra: I have really gone back to my roots with the BJJ. I have been working with Renzo Gracie a lot because I feel that is where I can counter what Hughes is good at. When I said Hughes is a one trick phony; I think that was taken out of context a lot.

Matt Hughes has been very good at what he does which is take guys down and beats them up. I know where he is the most dangerous so I have to go back to what I am great at. If it stays on its feet then I feel like I have a great advantage and I will be able to do more damage. And if it goes to the ground I will be ready to rock there too. I am ready for the fight both places.

Question to Matt Serra: Sometimes it helps to have a rival or an enemy in the sport. How much has this feud with Matt Hughes helped to keep you in the public eye?

Matt Serra: Well just to put it out there, nothing is manufactured here. This not fake. It doesn’t matter if the cameras are there or not. Matt Hughes and I are two very different people. So there is no agenda here. That being said, I love the hype. And I love that people either want to see me get beat down or see Hughes get beat down.

Some of the greatest fights are built up by the pre-fight stuff. This is genuine here. I think my fights with St. Pierre and the TUF 6 show also had something to do with be being in the public eye. Did I answer your question right? I do not want to lose to this guy and it got me through a great training camp so I am ready for this fight.

Question to Matt Serra: This fight was supposed to take place awhile back. In the interim both of you have had injuries. How does the fight change in terms of significance and how do you feel about it compared to when it was supposed to happen?

Matt Serra: I am healthy as a horse right now; I feel great. I feel the best I have felt in ages. I think it is a fight that people still want to see. There was a big build up and unfortunately it got pushed back but I am thrilled that is still going down. Better late then never, ya know.

That's a wrap, folks.

Remember to come check us out after the event for all the latest results, recaps and our coverage of UFC 98: "Evans vs. Machida." In the meantime, get yourself up to speed by checking out our event archive here.

UFC 100 Fan Expo to feature grappling tournament with Grapplers Quest

Posted: 12 May 2009 04:53 PM PDT

Lace up those wrasslin’ shoes, because the UFC 100 weekend extravaganza just got even more action-packed. The UFC has announced that it will be hosting its first-ever grappling tournament in conjunction with the Grapplers Quest organization as part of the UFC Fan Expo.

It all goes down on Friday and Saturday, July 10 and 11, at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center.

UFC veterans are no stranger to Grapplers Quest. Past competitors have included former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes as well as Kenny Florian, Denis Kang, Brandon Vera, Kurt Pellegrino, Mark Bocek, Eliot Marshall, Mike Massenzio and Matt Riddle.

The UFC is expecting that its first competition will be the largest submission, grappling and Brazilian jiu-jitsu tournament in history.

To help draw the talent, the tournament will give out thousands of dollars in prizes across a variety of divisions and weight brackets intended to offer men, women and children from all skill levels the opportunity to compete.

And that’s not all for the two-day UFC Fan Expo. Additional activities in the works include meet-and-greets with several UFC, PRIDE and WEC fighters along with MMA demonstrations, training sessions, fan-inspired special events, and much more.

And don’t forget the UFC 100 weigh-ins on Friday, July 10 — free and open to the public.

Not too shabby for the milestone UFC event.

To test your skills in the grappling tournament, you can pre-register here. The tournament is limited to 1,500 competitors, so reserve your spot as early as possible. You’ll save money that way too.

To learn more about the UFC Fan Expo, go here.

Thiago Alves: Brazil will lay claim to another UFC champion on July 11

Posted: 12 May 2009 03:31 PM PDT

Props: Tatame.com

Quoteworthy:

“I've battled hard to get here. Since my 14 years old I train and I pray every day to be the best in the world, and I see all this as a result of this dedication. I can't wait to get in that Octagon and bring that belt to Brazil and to ATT, which is my family here. This fight is the realization of a dream, a personal achievement.”

Number one welterweight contender Thiago Alves is prepared to join Anderson Silva — and possibly Lyoto Machida — as a UFC champion from the country of Brazil when he tangles with division kingpin Georges St. Pierre at UFC 100 on July 11. “The Pitbull” has never fought more than 15 minutes inside the Octagon in more than 10 career appearances. Will that change at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada, on fight night or is this one destined to end early? Choose your sides…

BJ Penn video blog for May 11: ‘The Prodigy’ returns to Hilo with the secrets of Marv Marinovich

Posted: 12 May 2009 03:09 PM PDT

UFC 99 poster for ‘The Comeback′ on June 13

Posted: 12 May 2009 03:08 PM PDT

For the latest and greatest UFC 99 fight card and rumors click here.

Strikeforce press conference open to the public in St. Louis on May 19

Posted: 12 May 2009 11:22 AM PDT

Strikeforce today announced that it will open up its kickoff press conference for "Lawler vs. Shields" to the general public at The Atrium inside the Scotttade Center in St. Louis, Mo., on May 19.

It is free to attend and fans are encouraged to swing through if in proximity to the "Gateway City" next Tuesday, beginning at 1 p.m. local time. However, you may want to show up earlier than the start time — around noon — to ensure that you get a good seat.

Here is the list of fighters who will be in attendance:

"Ruthless" Robbie Lawler
Jake Shields
Kevin "The Monster" Randleman
Mike Whitehead
"The New York Badass" Phil Baroni
Joe "Diesel" Riggs

Strikeforce: "Lawler vs. Shields" is scheduled to take place at the Scottrade Center on June 6. It will air live on the premium cable network Showtime on fight night, beginning at 10 p.m. ET.

The last reigning Elite XC middleweight champion, "Ruthless" Robbie Lawler, is set to headline the event opposite the only man to ever hold the welterweight title under that same promotion, Jake Shields. In addition, a special 180-pound catchweight bout between Nick Diaz and Scott Smith is also booked to serve as a co-featured fight of the night.

Strikeforce: "Lawler vs. Shields" Stay dialed in to MMAmania.com before, during and after the show for all the Strikeforce event coverage you can handle.

Patrick Cote video: ‘I’ll be back in September’

Posted: 12 May 2009 08:01 AM PDT

Believe it: Chuck Liddell and Brad Penny karaoke duet at Key Club (Video)

Posted: 12 May 2009 07:54 AM PDT

Props: TMZ.com

(Thanks to MMAmania.com reader “kevin” for the assist.)

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com