Wednesday, March 24, 2010

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com


UFC Quick Quote: Frank Mir is not obsessed with Brock Lesnar as a person -- just in finding a way to beat him

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 08:29 PM PDT

Picture_1_medium

"It's a legitimate concern [focusing too much on Lesnar while overlooking Carwin]. But I'm not so much obsessed with Lesnar as a person, as I am with the techniques and positioning he used to beat me. And it's an obsession that will do me well with this fight. If I don't improve upon those aspects of the game, Carwin is also a very strong and powerful guy who's a great wrestler, and he can do the same things to me that Brock did."

As his UFC heavyweight interim title fight with Shane Carwin at UFC 111 nears, much has been made over Frank Mir's "obsession" with his nemesis Brock Lesnar at the expense of fully preparing to take on Carwin. But Mir sees it differently than most people do. While joining MMAmania.com's exclusive presentation of Pro MMA Radio this week, Frank shed some light as to why he actually views his intense focus on beating Brock as a positive in his preparation for Shane. And the guy has a point. His increased effort in adding the size and strength to compete with Lesnar could very well come in handy in this weekend's fight. As Mir noted, Carwin is very similar to Lesnar when it comes to size, strength, and wrestling ability. Aside from whether or not you agree that Frank is just obsessed with beating Brock in the cage, rather than obsessing over him on a more personal level, do you agree with the fact that if there is one aspect that will decide this fight above all others, it's the strength factor? Let's hear some thoughts, Maniacs.

Frank Mir: Shane Carwin is more dangerous than Brock Lesnar (Video)

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 06:54 PM PDT

UFC Quick Quote: Bob Reilly 'probably' won't vote against MMA if it's included in NY budget

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 06:53 PM PDT

"It is violence for violence’s sake. And violence begets violence.... [But if the sanctioning of mixed martial arts is not removed from the budget process] Then I will probably not vote against it. As this will only be a small part of the budget."

-- Perhaps the biggest roadblock for the legalization in New York, Assemblyman Bob Reilly, tells the New York Times that he may hang up his bureaucratic gloves if his latest effort to exclude the sanctioning of the sport in the state budget fails. He admits that the fiscal problems of the "Empire State" are "too big to be held up by a fight over mixed martial arts." Reilly recently sent a letter to Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, which was signed by 48 members of the 150-seat Assembly, to have MMA cut out of the budget. Let's hope she doesn't get the memo. This could finally be the sign of good things to come ... especially with Radio City Music Hall hosting the UFC 111 press conference tomorrow (March 24, 2010) for the event that is scheduled to take place just across the river in Newark, N.J., this weekend. It will certainly be a nice new revenue stream for the government coffers, generating approximately $4 million per event. Cha-ching ...

Strikeforce 'Challengers' fighters set to step on the scales March 25

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 06:52 PM PDT

Strikeforce-challengers_medium

All fighters who will compete in the STRIKEFORCE Challengers mixed martial arts (MMA) event this Friday, March 26, at Save Mart Center in Fresno, Calif., will weigh in the day before, Thursday, March 25 at World Sports Café.

The weigh in is OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, free of charge and will start at 5:30 p.m. PT.

In the main event on SHOWTIME®, heavyweight sensation Lavar Johnson (13-3) will square off with undefeated Lolohea Mahe (6-0-1) of Hawaii. Johnson’s effort will mark a miraculous comeback after he was gunned down and nearly killed by Central Valley area gang members on July 4, 2009, while attending a family barbeque near his home in Madera.

Fresno’s Zoila Frausto, an undefeated women’s prospect, will take on another standout in Miesha "Takedown" Tate (8-2) of Olympia, Wash. Frausto, a former soccer player for Fresno City College, has compiled a perfect 5-0 record in professional MMA since her debut on February 13, 2009.

Other featured fights: "Abongo" Humphrey (5-1), Atlanta, Ga., vs. George Bush III (5-1), Columbus, Ohio, at light heavyweight (205 pounds); Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Luke Stewart (6-2), San Francisco, Calif. vs. Andre Galvao (3-1), Brazil, at welterweight (170 pounds); and American Kickboxing Academy bred wrestling stud Justin "The Silverback" Wilcox (8-3), San Jose, Calif., vs. Shamar Bailey (10-1) of Chicago, Ill., at a catch weight of 160 pounds.

Tickets for the STRIKEFORCE Challengers event are on sale at the Save Mart Center box office and select Save Mart Supermarkets as well as at all Ticketmaster locations (800-745-3000), Ticketmaster online (www.ticketmaster.com) and STRIKEFORCE’s official website (www.strikeforce.com).

Save Mart Center doors will open for the STRIKEFORCE Challengers event at 6 p.m. PT. The first live, non-televised, preliminary bout will begin at 6:45 p.m. The SHOWTIME telecast begins at 11:45 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the west coast).

Strikeforce CBS video preview for Shields vs Henderson on April 17 in Nashville

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 06:07 PM PDT

Blessing in disguise: MMAmania.com UFC 111 interview exclusive with Shane Carwin

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 01:33 PM PDT

Carwin-interview_medium

It has been over a year since Shane Carwin fought inside the Octagon.

Last time we saw him, he was being pulled off Gabriel Gonzaga by the referee after knocking him out roughly a minute into their fight at UFC 96.

Since then, it has been a series of trials and tribulations for the 35-year-old Colorado native. Ultimately, once the dust settled, only former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir was left standing in front of his opportunity for a shot at a belt of his own.

The pair will now go head-to-head for the interim title on March 27 at UFC 111 in Newark, NJ, with the winner also earning the right to face current heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar later this year for proper unification.

"The Engineer" took some time out of his busy schedule to discuss a recent addition to his family, Mir's dangerous jiu-jitsu and similarities between James Toney and Kimbo Slice. He also wished to leave a brief message for Brock Lesnar.  

Check it out:

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): First of all, congratulations to you and Lani on the recent birth of your daughter Lexi. Was the pregnancy taxing on you as well, either physically or mentally?

Shane Carwin: I think Lexi being late and my wife being overdue really stressed me out. I was worried about them a lot. My wife would push me out the door and tell me I would be being a good dad and husband if I was doing all I could in the gym. They really have been amazing in helping me stay focused.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Are you now relieved that not only the process is complete, but that both your wife and daughter are healthy? Has a weight been lifted from your shoulders a bit?

Shane Carwin: I think I owe them a lot of quality time when I get done with this fight.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): There is no appropriate transition here so let me jump right in. I wanted to get your thoughts on the UFC's recent signing of boxing champion James Toney.

Shane Carwin: I have heard the news and of course everyone at the gym is talking about it. James is a legit boxer, which means he will bring an A-level striking game. He will be in deep trouble with a wrestler though if you ask me. He's kind of like Kimbo (Slice) - a heavy handed striker, but lacking in the overall MMA game. I hope Toney takes it seriously and works on his Brazilian jiu-jitsu, wrestling, and clinch work.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): You were supposed to fight Cain Velasquez at UFC 104, then Brock Lesnar at UFC 106, then Lesnar at UFC 108, and now it is Frank Mir at UFC 111. Looking back over the past few months, do you feel like you have dealt with the emotional highs and lows as best as you could have?

Shane Carwin: The best I could. I got to know my fans and they have gotten to know me. Each event was out of and beyond my control. I did not get angry about it. I just used the time to advance my training. I have a lot of things I want to work on so I used this last year to evolve as a fighter. Being pushed from the undercards to the contender status means making sure I am a complete fighter. That has really been my focus.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): You have also had the opportunity to heal your body over time. Can you clarify what physical ailments you were dealing with over the past few months and what your current health status is?

Shane Carwin: I had a small knee injury but nothing that kept me from training or anything like that. I was actually 100% when I started this camp for Frank and I have been throughout. My coaches, teammates and Max Muscle have really pulled a complete program together that has me feeling like I am still getting stronger, faster, and more explosive.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Could this entire process have been a blessing in disguise?

Shane Carwin: I think so, I mean knocking out Brock Lesnar would be a true blessing but in a way I would still have had some holes in my game. I have spent the last year preparing for four fights with distinct elite athletes and I have had to push myself harder and farther then ever before. I am usually my biggest critic and if feel like I am getting better then I am getting better.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Will this be the best version of Shane Carwin we have ever seen inside the Octagon?

Shane Carwin: I feel like it and when fighting a guy like Frank it better be. I have a tough opponent ahead of me whom I have take very seriously. I have a lot riding on this fight and I want to come out of this on top and with as little damage as possible.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Your teammate Nate Marquardt switched up his entrance music for his last fight. Will you do the same? What will yours be?

Shane Carwin: I am sticking with my regular song which is "Bodies" by Drowning Pool. Next time I may go with Metallica or Eminem's "Till I Collapse."

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Going back to Mir. It is a well known fact that he is very good on the ground with his jiu-jitsu. Do you feel like it would be in your best interest to keep the fight standing in order to win?

Shane Carwin: Yeah I heard about that. He has one of those fancy belts and all. I feel like he is going to have an edge when it comes to submissions. He has a lifetime of experience. It will be my ground-and-pound wrestling vs. his dynamic BJJ on the ground. Standing, I think I present two big problems for him.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Let's assume for a second that both you and Mir are content standing toe-to-toe with one another and turning the fight into a boxing match. How would you compare your technique, speed, and power in reference to Mir?

Shane Carwin: Until we are in the cage I can't really know. I feel I have the advantage in power and size. I have been working a lot on my head movement, footwork, and composure as well so we will see how that works out.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): What is your official prediction for the fight?

Shane Carwin: I expect to finish him.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Does winning an interim belt hold any significance for you?

Shane Carwin: No, I was already the guy in line to fight the champ. It is a confusing thing to do and one of the things that turned me off from boxing. If everyone has a belt then what really is the value in having a champion? In my eyes and I am sure the rest of the heavyweights see it this way too, Brock has the only belt that matters. I am fighting a legend to retain my place in line and the young guns are on my heels nipping for their shot too. I feel like we are going to have a lot of contenders and any one of them qualified to hold that real belt.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): If you are fortunate enough to come away with a victory over Mir will you address Lesnar in your post fight interview? If so, what do you think you will say?

Shane Carwin: I don't think so. The UFC brass might ask me to call him out but I will do that right here, right now. I will fight him at his gym, my gym, or at Madison Square Garden. He wants to disrespect me, this sport, and the sacrifices that those who came before us made with his acting antics, and I can't wait to show him how real I am.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Any thanks you would like to pass along?

Shane Carwin: First off my coaches Amal Easton, Christian Allen, Trevor Wittman, Lester Bowling, and Loren Landlow. You guys have been amazing and I thank you for your time and efforts on my behalf. To my sponsors - Max Muscle, Beaver Buzz Energy, GD4U.com, MTX Audio, TCB Fightwear, Blowoutcards.com, Warrior Wear, DPMS Panther Arms, and my amazing management team for taking good care of me and my family. Last, but not least, thank you to Team Carwin. I appreciate you guys. I know I have been blessed with some of the best fans in the world. Thank you for being so wonderful and supportive.

Derek Bolender is a frequent MMAmania.com contributor. He is also a syndicated writer to FoxSports.com. Follow him at Twitter.com/DerekMMAwriter.

Jon Fitch: Promoters and fighters are dumbing down MMA to appease fair-weather fans

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 12:09 PM PDT

Fitch-takedown_medium

Props: Bleacher Report

Quoteworthy:

"I view them as fair-weather fans. They aren't mixed martial arts fans. They want to see K-1 kickboxing with small gloves and not MMA. I'm always working to finish fights. There are two guys in the fight, and if the other guy is looking to just survive, it's hard to finish. Promoters and fighters are dumbing down the sport to appease those fans. Those fans won't be there for the long haul and will turn their back on the sport as soon as they find the next big thing. I think referees standing fighters up too soon is one of the dumbest things that has been done recently. They need to let the fighters work on the ground, and not be so quick to bring the fighters back to their feet."

UFC welterweight contender Jon Fitch reacts to criticism surrounding his inability to finish fights after going 5-1 since 2007 with six decisions. The former collegiate wrestling standout is hoping for a little more patience from the MMA community so that fighters who implement a ground attack have the opportunity to work for position instead of fighting out of fear of being stood up every time the crowd gets restless. Do any Maniacs out there agree with Fitch? Are today's fans too impatient to appreciate the ground game? Or is the promotion simply being less tolerant of stalling on the ground? Opinions please.

King Mo featured on 'The All Out Show with Rude Jude & Lord Sear' on Sirius XM tomorrow (March 24)

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 11:47 AM PDT

King-mo_medium

Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal will be a guest on "The All Out Show with Rude Jude & Lord Sear" via Sirius XM radio tomorrow (March 24) at 5 p.m. ET on Shade 45.

King Mo can be heard discussing his upcoming world title fight against Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion Gegard Mousasi scheduled for Saturday, April 17, at the Bridgestone Arena (formerly Sommet Center) in Nashville, Tenn. on the CBS Television Network at 9 p.m. ET.

The highly anticipated bout is one of three world title fights on the card featuring five of the top fighters in the world in their respective weight classes.

Unbeaten since he made his MMA debut, the 28-year-old Lawal (6-0) is a former NCAA Division I All-American and Big 12 wrestling champion for Oklahoma State University. King Mo is coming off a first round knockout win over Mike Whitehead at Strikeforce: "Evolution" last December.

Anyone who knows how outspoken this up-and-coming fighter is won't want to miss this one.

UFC on Versus draws 1.24 million viewers for March 21 event

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 10:07 AM PDT

Jones-hellbow_medium_medium

The UFC's debut on the Versus network can officially be considered a success thanks to the 1.24 million viewers who tuned in to see "Vera vs. Jones" among others from the 1STBANK Center in Broomfield, Colorado, last Sunday night (March 21).

John Ourand of the Sports Business Journal tweeted the numbers earlier today.

The event was responsible for a 1.66 rating in the coveted demographic of males 18-34. Those numbers are likely the reason the cable television network and DirecTV recently settled their longstanding feud.

The UFC is contracted to hold a second "UFC on Versus" event later this year, tentatively scheduled for August 1 in Oakland. That event joins Zuffa's remaining WEC televised cards already in place.

By comparison, January's broadcast of UFC Fight Night 20 on Spike TV earned an audience of 1.7 million viewers -- but Spike TV is available in roughly 25 million more homes than Versus.

UFC on Versus saw the continued rise of Jon Jones, as he obliterated venerable striker Brandon Vera in the main event. Joining his ascension was heavyweight super-slugger Junior dos Santos after "Cigano" stopped Gabriel Gonzaga in the first round.

For UFC on Versus results and recap click here and here.

Arianny Celeste MuslePharm shoot behind-the-scenes video

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 09:58 AM PDT

Arianny Celeste MuslePharm shoot behind-the-scenes video

'Lion' Takeshi Inoue defends his Shooto Lightweight title against Hatsu Hioki on May 30

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 08:42 AM PDT

Shooto-lion_medium_medium

Leading Shooto promoter, Sustain, has been assembling quite a stacked fight card for Shooto's May 30 event. The third installment of the "Way of Shooto" series will take place at JCB Hall in Tokyo and feature three world title bouts.

Shooto lightweight (143 pounds) champion, "Lion" Takeshi Inoue will make his second title defense against the top flight 143-pounder, Hatsu Hioki in a dream match for Shooto loyalists and MMA fans the world over.

Inoue and Hioki are arguably the two best fighters in Shooto's lightweight division and among the few non-WEC fighters to crack the world top 10 featherweight ranking.

Inoue regained his Shooto title in November 2008 with a victory over Hideki Kadowaki. He successfully defended the title against the Shooto icon, Rumina Sato last May at Shooto's 20th anniversary event.

Since then, he has triumphed in two non-title affairs. He dispatched the former 143-pound champion, Alexandre Franca Nogueira via TKO at Vale Tudo Japan 2009 and bested the unheralded Gerald Lovato in January.

With a victory over Hioki, Inoue looks to halt the quick turnaround of Shooto's lightweight champions and establish himself as the undisputed kingpin: Recent titleholders, Akitoshi Tamura and Hideki Kadowaki faltered in their first title defense, as did Inoue during his first stint as the 143-pound king.

Hatsu Hioki last competed in Sengoku in November and dropped a controversial split decision against Michihiro Omigawa. As a consensus top 10 featherweight in the world, he tore through Sengoku's featherweight Grand Prix, dispatching Chris Manuel, Ronnie Mann, and Masanori Kanehara; however, he could not proceed to the tournament finale after suffering concussion in the fight against Kanehara.

In the other world title bouts slated for the card, Yasuhiro Urushitani and Ryuichi Miki will face each other in a rubber match for the vacant 123-pound title, while the newly minted 154-pound champion, Willamy "Chiquerim" Freire puts his title on the line against former foe, Yusuke Endo.

The Shooto 123-pound title was vacated by Shinichi Kojima who announced that an injury will prevent him from defending the title within the time period manadated by Shooto.

Freire, product of the famed Nova Uniao, captured the vacant 154-pound title with a victory over Kenichiro Togashi at Vale Tudo Japan 2009; the title was vacated by Takashi Nakakura, who, like the aformentioned Kojima, could not defend his title within a reasonable time span after suffering a detached retina in his fight against Takanori Gomi last May at Shooto's 20th anniversary event.

Other fighters slated to fight on the card include Rumina Sato and 132-pound Nova Uniao prospect, Eduardo Dantas.

Stay tuned to MMAmania for more information regarding the upcoming Shooto event.

Programming alert: Special 'UFC Unleashed' precedes March 24 final 'Primetime' episode on Spike TV

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 08:11 AM PDT

Ufc-unleashed_medium

Spike TV announced today a special presentation of  "UFC Unleashed" to serve as the lead-in to the final episode of "UFC Primetime" tomorrow night (March 24) beginning at 9 p.m. ET on the television cable network.

The special will include four action-packed fights never-before-seen on television including two recent undercard bouts from the UFC on Versus event held this past Sunday night in Denver.

The special "UFC Unleashed" fight card includes:

155 lbs.: Clay Guida vs. Shannon Gugerty (UFC on Versus)
265 lbs.: Brendan Schaub vs. Chase Gormley (UFC on Versus)
155 lbs.: Jeremy Stephens vs. Justin Buchholz (UFN 19)
155 lbs.: Dennis Siver vs. Paul Kelly (UFC 105)

Don't forget to stay tuned immediately following "Unleashed" for the final episode of  "UFC Primetime" featuring the final 30 minutes of hype from the promotion's three-part series featuring an in-depth look at the upcoming UFC 111 welterweight title fight between current champion Georges St. Pierre and number one contender Dan Hardy.

Dana White: Jon Jones isn't ready for a title shot -- yet

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 07:53 AM PDT

Jjones_medium

Props: MMAWeekly

Quoteworthy:

"I’d like to see him get another year under his belt. And in that year, before he got a shot at the title, he’d have to take out Rashad (Evans), Rampage (Quinton Jackson), possibly Shogun (Mauricio Rua) or (Lyoto) Machida, and then get the title shot. There aren’t many guys out there like this guy. God knows what this guy can do. It’s going to be interesting to watch."

UFC President Dana White is impressed with the display Jon Jones has put on during his short time on the Zuffa roster; however, White isn't ready to say he's a title contender (yet) even with his skull-cracking win over Brandon Vera at last Sunday's UFC on Versus event from Denver. Since "Bones" is now a part of Team Jackson it's unlikely he'll face "Sugar" en route to the title, but what about Rampage? Or Thiago Silva? Fantasy matchmakers, let's hear your picks.

EA Sports MMA adds Josh Barnett, Vladimir Matyushenko and Joachim Hansen to Fall 2010 roster

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 07:53 AM PDT

Barnett-vlad-hellboy_medium

International mixed martial arts stars and well-traveled veterans Josh Barnett, Vladimir Matyushenko and Joachim Hansen were all in action over the weekend. "The Babyface Assassin" and "Hellboy" were participating in DREAM 13 while "The Janitor" was mopping up the light heavyweight division at the UFC on Versus event in Denver.

Now they get to share another common thread as the latest additions to the upcoming "EA Sports MMA" video game set to be released in Fall 2010, the electronic publisher revealed yesterday.

Top ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko will be featured as a digitized version of himself facing any and all challengers — including UFC star Randy "The Natural" Couture, who retains control over his ancillary rights and has language in his contract that allows him the freedom to use his likeness outside of the UFC.

The San Jose-based Strikeforce promotion has been named the "Premiere League" and art seems to be imitating life as the current agreement between DREAM and Strikeforce allows the exchange of talent for select cards, like the Shinya Aoki vs. Gilbert Melendez lightweight title fight scheduled for April 17 in Nashville.

Of course comparisons to THQ's "UFC Undisputed 2010" video game are inevitable -- but don't call it a case of friendly competition.

UFC President Dana White had a very public war of words back in 2009 after White accused the gaming giant of turning down his offer for a video game partnership only to then create one of their own after the massive success of THQ's "UFC Undisputed."

Which game the casual fan selects may depend heavily on their choice of fighters. Would you be willing to sacrifice the chance to play as BJ Penn or Anderson Silva to have a better overall game? EA Sports is banking on it and is expected to pull out all the stops in their debut effort.

See how things are shaping up by checking out the EA Sports MMA trailer and in-game screens here.

UFC 111 video blog with Dana White for March 23

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 06:43 AM PDT

Anthony Johnson: 'Lucky' John Howard doesn't belong in the UFC

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 06:43 AM PDT

Howard-cage_medium

Props: Fight Hype

Quoteworthy:

"Howard ain't got no stand-up at all. He's lucky Roberts wasn't stronger or he probably would have gotten submitted. Howard is soft; he doesn't belong in the UFC. I will be glad to show him this if he's my next opponent. But congratulations on your win. If you fight me like that, you won't survive. You better work on that stand-up buddy!"

Injured welterweight striker Anthony Johnson was not impressed with John Howard's winning performance over Daniel Roberts at the UFC on Versus event last Sunday night in Denver. "Doomsday" survived a series of submission attempts from the newcomer before putting his lights out with a couple of vertical bombs. Still, "Rumble" thinks he was lucky to survive and promises a different result if and when these two rivals finally settle their score. Early predictions?

UFC 114 poster for 'Rampage vs Evans' on May 29 in Las Vegas

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 06:26 AM PDT

Ufc114-poster-2_medium

Current UFC 114 fight card and rumors here.

UFC 111: Dan Hardy's explosive strength workout (Video)

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 06:06 AM PDT

"The Outlaw" works the medicine ball ...but will he get worked over on Saturday night?

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com