Thursday, July 2, 2009

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com


UFC 107: Rampage Jackson to fight Rashad Evans in Memphis this December (Video)

Posted: 01 Jul 2009 08:45 PM PDT

It’s certainly not a formal announcement from the promotion (far from it) but interesting nonetheless:

The FedExForum in Memphis is the likely destination some time in mid to late December.

Dan Henderson wants his title shot with win over Michael Bisping at UFC 100

Posted: 01 Jul 2009 07:56 PM PDT

Fresh off his stint as coach of Team U.S. on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF): "U.S. vs. U.K." the former PRIDE light heavyweight and middleweight champion, Dan Henderson, was one of two featured guests on MMAmania.com's exclusive presentation of Pro MMA Radio this week.

Henderson is one of the most decorated fighters in MMA history. The former Olympic wrestler is the only man to concurrently hold two belts from two different weight classes for a major promotion (Pride FC). He is also 1998's UFC 17 middleweight and PRIDE 2005 welterweight tournament champion.

With the ninth season of TUF already on the books, Henderson is eyeing his upcoming fight against Team U.K.'s coach, Michael Bisping, which takes place at the historic UFC 100 as one of the top three featured bouts. He talked with us about how the compressed time frame dedicated to the taping of the show makes coaching the TUF competitors a bit different from coaching fighters back at Team Quest.

But overall he felt that DaMarques Johnson — the American favorite to claim the TUF welterweight title, but who ultimately fell short at the finale — has exhibited the most promise for establishing a UFC career.

"DaMarques definitely has some skills. In the finale he just was pretty flat. I know that he was sick for the last couple of weeks with bronchitis going into that, and I think you can tell. He just was a little bit flat. And on the flip side of that, (James) Wilks fought a lot better than he had shown in the past. He looked good, and DaMarques didn't look so good."

Although it was disappointing to Henderson that all his fighters fell short in the U.K. sweep, he would have rather had his fighters perform to the best of their abilities and fall short; but sometimes that doesn't happen.

He also had a few choice words for welterweight competitor Jason Pierce, who talked his way out of competing on the show by failing to convince UFC president Dana White that he wanted to fight.

"I think he just was a chicken shit … I lost pretty much all respect for him."

But even worse than showing mental weakness before a fight, Pierce pulled a Benedict Arnold by openly sharing with Team U.K. how the Americans were training, including what he knew of their game plans. Then, he lied to Coach Henderson's face about doing it.

"With these guys who are not totally well-rounded, they're not the best fighters yet, that little bit of edge or gameplan could make a big difference in the fight. And to have no respect for your team — and in this case your country you're representing — and to sell out like that, he definitely … didn't come off making any new fans, that's for sure."

Host Larry Pepe also questioned Henderson about the infamous "douchebag" comment he made regarding fellow coach Michael Bisping, although he fell short of referring to their relationship as one with "bad blood."

"He's an all right guy, but he's not somebody I'd choose to hang out with, really, just because he's a little too arrogant and full of himself, and he is a bit of a douchebag. The funniest thing is, before that episode aired, everybody was saying, ‘hey, will you please beat up Michael Bisping for me, he's a douchebag,’ and I would just chuckle, because I felt the same way. I think a lot of people have the same feeling after watching him on that show."

In fact, Bisping's douchebaggery, as Henderson sees it, might be an industry consensus, from fans to people inside the industry alike.

"Everybody I talk to basically tells me to beat him up for them. It's a very common request. Most of the time before my fights, they just say 'good luck' and 'have a nice fight,' and 'hope you do well' — wishing me good luck, not my opponent to lose."

That said, Henderson says he doesn't dislike the guy … just that he's a douchebag (he said it four times).

Strategy-wise, Henderson thinks Bisping would be smart not to engage him and foresees the Brit coming in with a similar strategy he used against Chris Leben — one similar to the strategy Rich Franklin used against Hendo: Use body kicks to keep the distance and circle around.

Henderson thinks he'll be victorious, saying, "I'm going to stay in his face and make him fight me."

While he's not looking past Bisping, he thinks a win should grant him a title shot — and a rematch — against middleweight champion Anderson Silva, although he hasn't discussed it with the UFC yet. Henderson is the only fighter to steal a round from the reigning UFC middleweight champion since he's been with the promotion, and a rematch would definitely put butts in seats from a promotional standpoint.

"In my mind if I don't have a title fight after this fight, I'll probably want to fight one of the top contenders at 205 … This would be three wins in a row, and I feel like I would be due, and if they don't give that to me, I'll go back up to 205."

It was a solid interview that includes Henderson's criticism of the 10-point must system (he favors Pride FC's judging system), why he thinks Matt Hamill really beat Bisping, and why Wanderlei Silva would have beat Franklin under Pride FC rules. He also gave his thoughts on UFC 100 and the heavyweight title unification bout between champions Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir.

To check out the complete interview with Henderson, as well as the entire Pro MMA Radio archive with host Larry Pepe, click here.

UFC to reveal Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 10 cast at Fan Expo on July 10

Posted: 01 Jul 2009 05:04 PM PDT

Spike TV and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) officials today announced that the complete cast of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) will be unveiled at the UFC Fan Expo at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Friday, July 10.

“The Heavyweights” will all be available for autographs and photographs from 11 a.m. until noon at booth #149 for those who plan to attend the festivities.

TUF 10 is currently in production. It is scheduled to debut on Spike TV on Sept. 16, 2009, at 10 p.m. ET. Former Elite XC posterboy Kimbo Slice — who rose to stardom via YouTube.com with his bareknuckle brawls on the mean streets of Miami — is the only confirmed cast member.

However, the complete list of competitors was leaked last month. In addition to Slice, it includes a former IFL champion, several NFL players and a few UFC veterans. Check out the rumored line up below if you can’t wait until next week.

TUF 10 will be the first TUF season to feature heavyweights since the second season in late 2005. Commissioned to coach this eclectic band of misfits will be two former light heavyweight champions in Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and "Sugar" Rashad Evans.

The date for "The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale" has already been slated for December 5, 2009, in Las Vegas. Following the finale, coaches Jackson and Evans are expected to duke it out for the number one contender position in the light heavyweight division at UFC 107 from the FedExForum in Memphis, Tenn., a few weeks later.

Check out the unconfirmed TUF 10 cast after the jump:

  • Kimbo Slice (3-1)
  • Roy Nelson (13-4)
  • Wes Sims (22-12-1)
  • Marcus Jones (4-1)
  • Matt Mitrione (0-0)
  • Wes Shivers (N/A)
  • Jim York (10-2)
  • Justin Wren (6-1)
  • Mike Wessel (6-1)
  • Scott Junk (6-2-1)
  • Zak Jensen (7-3)
  • Darrill Schoonover (10-0)
  • Brendan Schaub (4-0)
  • Jon Madsen (1-0)
  • Tom Blackledge (8-6)
  • Abe Wagner (6-2)

For more on TUF 10 check out our complete archive right here.

Big Brock Lesnar and crafty Frank Mir talk UFC 100 rematch

Posted: 01 Jul 2009 02:50 PM PDT

UFC 100 is set to go down from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Saturday, July 11. The monumental fight card is poised to be perhaps the biggest pay-per-view (PPV) event in the relatively short history of the sport.

The hoopla for event reached a fevered pitch today with the second installment of the UFC 100 media call. The cast of characters got much bigger this time, however, featuring heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar and interim champion Frank Mir.

The pair will collide to unify the title in just 11 days.

Today's conference could have been titled, "The Frank Mir Show," because he dazzled with his verbal stamina. In fact, if Mir can display that sort stamina in the Octagon on fight night, he will have no problem going five rounds. Lesnar, on the other hand, was much more succinct with his comments and was surprisingly asked fewer questions.

The call kicked off with Mir being asked how he gameplans for someone like Brock Lesnar.

"I looked at what Brock was successful at in his past fights,” Mir said. “Obviously I plan on him adding onto that skill set. His wrestling is the dominant area of his fighting facet but his boxing has been successful as of late. On the ground, he will look to take me down and establish a dominant position, push me up against the cage. He will use his size and power to his advantage and look to reign down punches. I can't play a catch up game with size and strength. If I roll my dice in that department I am going to come up short. Going head-to-head is not the smartest gameplan. I will use technique to take advantage of my agility and movement."

Mir went on to talk about how much better Lesnar has gotten since their first encounter at UFC 81: “Breaking Point” back in early 2008 and how that makes it hard to gameplan for him.

"Brock started out with a great competitive background,” Mir pointed out. “The hardest part has been watching tape on him because you don't know much more he is going to improve with each fight. You look at his first fight and he flew across the cage. Then the next fight from Heath to Randy you see him very composed. It is only taking him one fight to fix certain things. It makes it a little difficult on my part to assess what we’re going to prepare for. To make it easy, we prepared for the worst case scenario that Brock knows everything I know about mixed martial arts and on top of that he is bigger and stronger and faster then I am (laughs)."

Talk quickly turned to any animosity that has built up leading up to the fight.

"I don't have any animosity," said Lesnar. "I don't dislike Frank in any way other than he has a win over me. This is a sport and I consider myself a gentleman and sportsmanlike conduct takes precedence. When it comes to July 11 and us getting into the Octagon we definitely won't be best friends. Like I said, I hate to lose and revenge will be the key factor for me."

"There should never be harsh feelings with someone you compete with," Mir added. “Any professional athlete, when you get him going talking about his competitor, we will get riled up and were ready to go. If there is any animosity, I think it's coming from both of us in that we don't have the respect we fully want in the division. Brock is coming in with only four fights. He wants to push forward with his credibility. And for me, after my accident, I had so many bad fights in a row. Now coming back on the winning streak I am looking to create that respect for myself as well."

Lesnar followed up on the respect angle by saying he doesn't give a damn.

"I don't run around looking for respect. I just want to get in there and do my job. I enjoy what I am doing. I have the best job in the world. I get paid to train and fight. There are four million people without jobs right now so I feel very fortunate. There are going to be critics and jealous people and those that pretend to be your friend. I don't give a damn what they think. The only thing that matters is that I am happy and my family is happy.”

When it came to the issues of weight the two fighters appeared headed in opposite directions.

"I will probably come in a little under with my weight for the last fight," Mir revealed. “It's just the training I did this time around. I have never purposely got on the scale and thought let me cut down on or add some calories. I have always just asked myself do I feel good. I usually have to get on the scale to know what I actually weigh. So I think I will come into this fight lighter. "

"Today I finished up at about 275 pounds,” Brock stated. “I've finished my workout for the day. Cutting weight is not that difficult. This camp I have made three or four different times already. I watch what I eat real well. It is not a huge task to make 265 pounds. I do have to put some thought into it and a little extra effort. The weight limit is 265 and that is what I will weigh the night before (laughs).

Lesnar's laugh seemed to allude to the fact that when he steps into the Octagon Saturday night he will weigh much more then the 265 weight class limit.

When Mir was asked about Brock's power vs. his technique he was quick to point out the limitations in that stereotype. Brock followed up by adding that he is more then just about size and power.

"Its kind of funny, it's a real simple way to look at it,” Mir said. “If I go to any gym I am likely going to be the most powerful guy there. And Brock, it's not like he is not knowledgeable on technique. He spends every day training. He has trained with world class guys for the past few years. On paper obviously those are the two things that stand out. Frank knows submissions and Brock is a strong guy. But there is definitely a lot more to it than that.”

"I have improved dramatically since my first fight,” Lesnar countered. “My main focus isn't lifting weights. I am a fighter now and I want to evolve into the most well rounded fighter. I am not going to leave any stone unturned. I am working on submissions, submission defense, striking, knees, leg kicks, learning to defend everything. It's not just an offensive sport. I am learning both sides of the spectrum. I have brought the best trainers in to evolve. I have left no stone unturned.

The call culminated when Mir was asked, "If you are preparing for Brock to be bigger, stronger and faster and have just as much technique, if that's the case and he has improved that much, how can you possibly win?"

Mir didn’t hesitate with a response.

"A lot of fighters think about their advantages and it becomes their blanket of security. If they are more conditioned they think well at least I will be able to outlast my opponent. If they think they are better at boxing, then they will be able to out strike their opponent. Everyone looks for an advantage on paper to curve their nerves. Let's show us and Brock does know as much about MMA as I do.

“Let's safely assume he is bigger and stronger,” Mir continued. “Why does that necessarily secure a victory? It's a fight and you have to go out there. The supposed best football teams don't always win because people make mistakes and their mentality and let them down. You can't a fight perfectly every night, people make mistakes in battle. When I go into my practices I have mentally let go of the idea of advantages. You have to let go of the ego in the cage. You can't put your confidence on advantages. I have seen fighter break that time when they had better cardio but their opponent didn't wear out.

“Like I said, I expect the worst. So I don't worry about anything and I can get down to fighting. It's like a solider going into battle. If you sit there worrying about getting back home you're not going to make it. You're not thinking about doing what's important. So I have prepared for the toughest Brock Lesnar people can imagine. So I won't be mentally broke when I throw three arm bars on him and he got out. I expect him to get out. I'd be surprised if I actually submitted him. I am preparing to transition like a mad man to get to a submission. That's how you have the strength and are mentally tough for that situation.”

Mir certainly brings an interesting philosophy to the cage for this fight. Will his "prepare for the worst" mentality allow him to emerge victorious or will the bigger, stronger, faster, improved technique of Brock Lesnar be too much?

Sound off, Maniacs!

Shane Carwin expects to return at UFC 104 on Oct. 24

Posted: 01 Jul 2009 02:25 PM PDT

Shane Carwin

Undefeated heavyweight specimen Shane Carwin announced today that he expects to return to the Octagon at UFC 104, which is scheduled to go down at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, Calif., on Oct. 24.

The three-time All-American wrestler and two-time All-American in football out of Western State College in Gunnison, Colo., did not mention an opponent, saying he was "not sure yet." However, rumors have swirled in recent days and weeks that his foe could be none other than fellow heavyweight prospect Cain Velasquez.

For now it appears be just that, rumor. Nothing is official at this time.

Carwin has been on the sidelines since having surgery to a repair a broken nose, which was "crushed" during his fight with Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 96: "Jackson vs. Jardine" from the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, on March 7.

Despite the injury and some choppy waters in the first minute of the opening round, Carwin was able to takedown the Brazilian Yeti and pound him out en route to an impressive technical knockout. "Napao" was hands down the biggest test of his bright career and Carwin passed with flying colors.

With quick wins over Gonzaga, as well as Christian Wellisch and Neil Wain under the UFC banner, "The Engineer"– who still works full-time for the North Weld County Water District in Colorado — is now seemingly on the brink of a title shot.

This next fight could just be enough to push him over the edge, or, it could send him to the back of the line, depending on his performance at UFC 104 and the corresponding results.

We'll pass along news of his Carwin's opponent as soon as possible. In the meantime, feel free to speculate and play matchmaker in the comments section below.

UFC 104 currently features a light heavyweight title fight between newly-minted champion Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida in his first title defense against 2005 Pride FC Middleweight Grand Prix winner Mauricio "Shogun" Rua.

To check out the latest UFC 104 fight card and rumors click here.

Georges St. Pierre vs Thiago Alves UFC 100 video fight hype

Posted: 01 Jul 2009 11:12 AM PDT

Check out what the “Pitbull” has to say about knocking out the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world on July 11 after the jump.

Affliction ‘Trilogy:’ Mark Hominick vs Deividas Taurosevicius on tap for August 1

Posted: 01 Jul 2009 08:18 AM PDT

Former UFC lightweight Mark Hominick (16-8) will make his second appearance under the Affliction banner when he takes on Deividas Taurosevicius (10-3) on the preliminary card of Affliction: "Trilogy," which is scheduled for the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., on Aug. 1, 2009 according to MMA Training.

The contest will be Hominick’s first in over a year. After a submission victory over Savant Young at Affliction: “Banned” in July 2008, “The Machine” was penciled in to face L.C. Davis at “Day of Reckoning” in January 2009 until a bout with pneumonia forced him to withdraw from the promotion’s sophomore effort.

He’ll be opposed by Lithuania’s Deividas Taurosevicius on August 1. The IFL veteran was enjoying a six-fight winning streak until he was upended by Ryan “The Lion” Shultz back in May 2008. Taurosevicius holds notable submission wins over Dan Lauzon and Bart Palaszewski.

Affliction 3: "Trilogy" will feature a main event between WAMMA Heavyweight Champion Fedor Emelianenko and top-ranked division player, Josh Barnett. Former Dream middleweight champion Gegard Mousasi is also expected to make his fighting debut on American shores against Brazilian jiu-jitsu specialist Renato "Babalu" Sobral.

To check out the latest fight card and rumors for Affliction 3: "Trilogy" click here.

UFC Quick Pic: Joe Rogan will not deviate from his septum on July 11

Posted: 01 Jul 2009 07:41 AM PDT

Considering Rogan’s on-air role and commentating duties it seems like a risky move to have septoplasty less than two weeks out from one of the biggest shows in UFC history…

Check out his Twitter page for more pics.

Frank Mir: It will be a short night for me if I’m cocky

Posted: 01 Jul 2009 06:48 AM PDT

Props: Las Vegas Sun

Quoteworthy:

“Anybody that size that gets behind a punch and sits down on it can catch me on the chin. If I'm cocky and put my hands down, obviously it will be a short night for me and I can go home and cry about it later. The fighter I was then compared to the fighter I am now is leaps and bounds. If he chooses to stand up, I'll knock him out. If he chooses to take me down, I'll submit him.”

UFC Interim Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir continues his confidence campaign with his recent comments about the pale-skinned goliath that awaits him at UFC 100 on July 11. Brock Lesnar, who defeated Randy Couture at UFC 91 to capture the UFC heavyweight belt, has already proven that he’s dangerous on his feet with his TKO of “The Natural” and his drubbing of Heath Herring at UFC 87. But did he learn his lesson from his debut (a submission loss to Mir) or will history repeat itself?

UFC 104: Kyle Kingsbury vs Razak Al-Hassan in the works for October 24

Posted: 01 Jul 2009 04:27 AM PDT

Former Ultimate Fighter season eight contestant Kyle Kingsbury (7-2) will return to action at UFC 104 when he takes on Razak Al-Hassan (6-1) from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California on October 24 according to MMAWeekly.

The likable but unsuccessful Kingsbury made his debut on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) in 2008 and was quickly bounced from the competition after suffering a submission loss to eventual winner Ryan Bader in episode two.

After Karn Girgoryan was injured, “Kingsbu” was reinserted into the tournament but was submitted by Krzysztof Soszynski in the quarterfinals. He joined some of his fellow cast mates in the TUF Finale on December 13 but lost to Tom Lawlor via unanimous decision.

Al-Hassan has been on the sidelines since suffering the first loss of his career at UFC Fight Night 16: “Fight for the Troops” last December. “Razor” suffered a grisly arm injury after refusing to tap to an armbar secured by opponent Steve Cantwell.

“Robot” tweaked the arm to the point of kung-fu grip, forcing an end to the bout via technical submission. Now Al-Hassan has the opportunity to erase that memory on October 24 against a former TUF-guy.

UFC 104 will feature a light heavyweight title fight between newly-minted champion Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida in his first title defense against 2005 Pride FC Middleweight Grand Prix winner Mauricio “Shogun” Rua.

For more on UFC 104 click here.

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com