Tuesday, February 2, 2010

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com


A Team: The legacy of BA Baracus is perfectly intact with Rampage Jackson (Video)

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 09:27 PM PST

He just traded in the gold chains for tattoos:

MMA Quick Pic: Fedor Emelianenko Men's Fitness cover

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 09:13 PM PST

Fedor-mens-health_medium

UFC 109: Rolles Gracie vs Joey Beltran booked with Mustapha Al-Turk scratched

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 07:48 PM PST

Gracie_beltran_109_medium

Fresh off a technical knockout win over Houston Alexander little more than two weeks ago, Joey Beltran will get a shot in the big show, taking on decorated grappling champion and member of the famed Gracie clan, Rolles Gracie, at UFC 109: "Relentless" at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Feb. 6, 2010.

"Mexicutioner" is stepping up on super short notice after Gracie's original opponent, Mustapha Al-Turk, was forced off the card because of visa issues. Beltran's sponsor, Triumph United, was the first to break the news.

He'll certainly have his work cut out for him against the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and son of Rolles Gracie Sr.

Gracie made his mixed martial arts debut under the IFL banner in late 2007, submitting Sam Holloway via rear naked choke in the Team Championship Finals. After seeing no action in 2008, Gracie competed twice this year for China's Art of War promotion, including a submission win (arm-triangle choke) over Peter Graham just last month.

In addition to his destruction of Alexander, Beltran recently took out Tracy Willis at 5150 Combat: "Rumble at the Rally" via strikes. He has won six of his last seven, with a decision loss to Tony Lopez KOTC: "Distorted" being the lone loss during the nearly 14-month span.

UFC 109: "Relentless" will feature a light heavyweight battle between elder statesmen Randy "The Natural" Couture and Mark "The Hammer" Coleman. Middleweights Nate Marquardt and Chael Sonnen will battle in the co-featured fight of the night for perhaps an opportunity to challenge 185-pound deity, Anderson Silva, in early 2010.

To check out the latest UFC 109 fight card click here.

Rex Ryan middle finger: Jets coach flips 'Miami' crowd the bird

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 06:24 PM PST

Rex-ryan-middle-finger-pic_medium

Props: NY Daily News

Quoteworthy:

"It was stupid and inappropriate. I wouldn't accept that type of behavior from one of the coaches or players, and it's unacceptable from me. I apologize to the Jets' organization, the National Football League and NFL fans everywhere."

New York Jets Head Coach Rex Ryan was present at this past weekend's Strikeforce: "Miami" event and conducted an interview that was televised on Showtime. Ryan's comments were noticeably drowned out by the boos from all of the Miami Dolphins fans, who are one of the Jets' biggest rivals. After the interview, Ryan was caught sending a memo to one of the hecklers in the crowd through an obscene gesture. But I suppose that is what happens now that everyone in the world has a camera on their cell phone. That is simply Rex Ryan being Rex Ryan; a fiery and prideful guy who's never willing to give any ground. He's behind enemy lines on a division rival's soil in Miami "waving" at a rival fan. That's about it.

UFC Quick Quote: Georges St. Pierre gets better thanks to training with Gegard Mousasi

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 06:18 PM PST

Georges-st-pierre_medium

"I see myself [in Mousasi]. But two weight classes above. He's a great fighter. He's very open-minded. He's amazing. He taught me two great techniques. Those two things I learned today are worth my whole trip. I'm very happy, and I'm going to be working on it a lot.... If I could have a choice between money, fame or wisdom and knowledge, I would take wisdom first, without hesitation. I'm already a better fighter than I was before the practice. I have more knowledge."

-- UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre talks about his fruitful training sessions with Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion, Gegard Mousasi, while in South Florida this weekend. "Rush" reveals to SI.com that the "Dream Catcher" had two helpful techniques, which he will likely test out on Dan Hardy when the pair collides at UFC 111 on March 27. St. Pierre is already widely regarded among the top fighters in the sport ... how much better can the Canadian get?

UFC 111: Nate Diaz moves to 170 to meet Rory Markham in Newark

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 02:46 PM PST

Diaz-markham_medium

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) today announced a welterweight match up between Nate Diaz and Rory Markham for the preliminary portion of the UFC 111 card from the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., on March 27.

Ten bouts have now been made official.

This will be Nate Diaz's first trip up to welterweight after a rather frustrating run in the promotion's lightweight division. His last fight with top contender Gray Maynard at UFC Fight Night 20 ended controversially with Maynard edging Diaz out for a split decision victory.

Diaz, of course, let his opinions of the fight be known shortly after the contest, citing the lack of marks on his face, and the presence of them on Maynard's, as the reason he won the fight, as well as poor judging.

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 5 winner will now take his 11-5 record up to 170.

Markham (16-5) is coming off a loss to the number one contender in the welterweight division, Dan Hardy, at UFC 95. He was scheduled to fight Martin Kampmann at UFC 108, but had to pull out because of a knee injury suffered during training.

Both guys will have some major question marks coming into the bout.

Will Diaz be successful at a higher weight class? Can he make the transition from one class to another smoothly in such a short amount of time? Will Markham's long layoff caused by injury affect him when he gets back in the cage?

Only time will tell. But in the meantime, let's hear some predictions.

UFC 111 will feature a 170-pound title defense by promotion superstar Georges St. Pierre as "Rush" answers the call of British striker Dan "The Outlaw" Hardy. Heavyweights Frank Mir and Shane Carwin are also set to collide in an interim title match while Brock Lesnar recovers from recent surgery.

To check out the latest UFC 111 fight card and rumors click here.

This was an original FanPost from GOLDIGGAH that was edited and promoted to the front page by James Kimball.

Matt Hughes compares the differences between Strikeforce and UFC; Talks Robbie Lawler strategy vs...

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 02:16 PM PST

Matt Hughes compares the differences between Strikeforce and UFC; Talks Robbie Lawler strategy vs Melvin Manhoef (Video)

'Relentless' pursuit: MMAmania.com UFC 109 interview exclusive with Mike 'Quick' Swick

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 12:30 PM PST

Swick-interview_medium

Mike Swick was just one win away from earning a title shot when he stepped into the cage this past November at UFC 105 against British striker Dan Hardy.

It would not be his night, however, and Hardy would land the more significant strikes and largely control the fight. The unanimous decision loss would be Swick's first at the 170-pound limit in his UFC career. It was a major setback.

Hardy will now move forward to challenge Georges St. Pierre for his welterweight championship belt in March.

Swick, on the other hand, will look to right the ship when he takes on the dangerous Brazilian Paulo Thiago on February 6 at UFC 109.

"Quick" took some time out of his busy schedule to discuss his last fight, what Hardy's chances against GSP will be, Jon Fitch's words of wisdom, and how he got into the screen printing business.

Check it out:

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): I wanted to start out by asking you to give your thoughts on your new teammate Herschel Walker. What can we expect from him on January 30 in his first professional fight?

*Mike Swick: I'm excited. He's training really hard. It's very inspirational having him come in because the guy is a millionaire who isn't a fighter. He's a big fan of the sport. Because of that love for the sport he came in and trained full on for a fight. He's come in and done everything. He's done all aspects of training from circuit training to the sparring to grappling. He's a great athlete, especially for his age. He works as hard as or harder than anyone else.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): What about Takanori Gomi? Is he going to be training with you at AKA as well or was he just in to visit a few weeks back?

Mike Swick: I'm not sure. I haven't heard anything. I don't really know.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Let's go back to the fight with Dan Hardy. What was the basic game plan going into that fight and why were you not able to execute it the way you intended?

Mike Swick: The game plan was not what happened. Nothing went right. I don't want to sit here and make excuses for it. I just want to say that I'm 100% confident that I'm a better fighter and I really want a rematch. I went over there and I fought him on his terms in front of his crowd. I really want a rematch here. I want him to come and fight me here, but I'll go back if I have to. For my true fans and my supporters out there I want to make up for it. I don't want to make excuses and say this and that. We both showed up and he won. There's nothing I can do to change that.

It's nothing against Dan Hardy. He's a great fighter and a great person, but it's hard to swallow when you were beat by a guy you didn't think was going to beat you. Right now I have a very tough opponent ahead of me. I'm fighting on short notice. I'm just trying to focus on getting ready and getting in there and getting back on the winning track.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): We know Hardy has plenty of confidence, but does he have the skills and the game plan necessary to defeat Georges St. Pierre in March and earn the welterweight belt? I talked to your teammate Jon Fitch a few weeks ago and he told me he didn't think Hardy was prepared and that GSP's wrestling would be the deciding factor. What is your take on the fight?

Mike Swick: I know it sounds like everyone is beating up Hardy. He's a cool guy but I don't see a possibility. I don't. GSP is not going to play the same game like I did. He's going to go out there and get it to the ground. His ground game is going to be levels above someone like Dan Hardy.

Even in the exchanges with me he landed the significant punches. He just happened to catch me right on my jaw early with a two punch combo, which kind of changed the whole fight. If you look at the later exchanges, even after I was hurt I still had to chase him down to make the action. He's a counter fighter. He was just sitting there waiting on me. Even though I did get rocked I still chased him down. If you look at the exchanges in the second and third round I feel I won most of those.

He landed the more significant blows. He didn't knock me down, but he definitely had me rocked. He could not have landed those two punches any better than right on the tip of my jaw. Having that kind of impact back-to-back on two separate punches, my hat goes off to him. I know for sure I can get back in there and out-strike Dan Hardy. I can do it nine out of ten times. It's just one of those things. We fought and there's nothing I can do about it. I just have to focus on the road ahead, think positive, and get out there and get a win against Paulo Thiago.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Of course Thiago beat your teammate Josh Koscheck a while back. Then Jon Fitch was able to take care of him a couple months ago. He's taking turns fighting everyone at AKA it seems like. Would it be fair to say Thiago is the anti-Matt Hughes in that regard?

Mike Swick: With both of those cases it's nothing against them. It's not AKA against the world or anything. We just have three guys at the same weight. We're obviously going to have to mix it up and fight guys that others have fought. We've already fought a bunch of the same guys. Koscheck and I both fought Jonathan Goulet. Fitch and Kos both fought GSP. It's nothing like that. Kos was going out for his rematch and he got injured. I'm a welterweight on the team and we felt like since we weren't going to be able to take this fight then we'll bring someone else from our team.

I actually wasn't even training at the time. I was about to head down to Brazil and take some more time off. I took a little time off after the Hardy fight because I trained back-to-back camps for Martin Kampmann and Hardy so I was a little burned out. I just needed a break. It (the loss) caught me off guard but it really got me pumped up and back in the gym fast.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): With regards to Paulo Thiago. He has decent standup. He's got very good submissions. Fitch exposed his wrestling a little bit. Did he essentially lay the blueprint for how you should approach Thiago?

Mike Swick: He definitely helped me out with a lot of stuff that you can't see from film as far as his strength, his positioning, and his movement on the ground. But it's a different game plan. I'm not going to go out there and fight the fight that Fitch fought. We are completely different fighters. Fitch is going to grind you down and wear you down and be relentless.

I'm more of a striker. I'm going to go out there and go for the knockout, try to land the big punches, and finish the fight fast. Two completely different styles, but since I'm fighting a guy that is good at the ground game it is very likely this fight could go to the ground. I'm obviously going to have to be aware of what to expect down there and Fitch has done a great job of preparing me for that. 

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): I also wanted to ask you about Spartan Screen Printing and your Combat Life clothing line you have based in San Jose. Can you give me a sense of why you took on this venture and what you hope to accomplish with it?

Mike Swick: Combat Life started as a charity. I started it because I was going around to military bases and I wanted something to hand out to the troops. I trademarked the clothing Combat Life because I think that signifies the kind of life that soldiers live. I started just printing T-shirts and caps and stuff and I would take them to the bases and hand them out to the soldiers and they loved it. Giving a serviceman a hat and a cap means the world to them. They really appreciate it. I started giving stuff out in Iraq and Afghanistan and it started out like that.

It ended up getting a lot bigger. Now we have a website CombatLifeBrand.com. Then I opened up a screen printing shop to print all my stuff exclusively. We opened up a huge 5,500 sq. ft. screen printing facility in downtown San Jose and I print all my stuff for Combat Life there. I am also open to the public. We print for a lot of big companies in Silicon Valley and fight teams and gyms. I'm helping out a lot of people in the fight game. It's a cool business. It really is.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): I've seen some pictures of the facility on your Twitter. You pimped it out. You got a game room and a lounge set up in there. It looks pretty sweet.

Mike Swick: The facility is Spartan Screen Printing. Then inside the warehouse we built a military bunker. Inside the bunker is the headquarters for my clothing line. We have a lounge, pool table, theatre seating and a plasma TV, and then we have storage for all of Combat Life. We're starting to design new stuff and store all of our clothing. Then all around the bunker is Spartan Screen Printing. We have all state-of-the-art equipment, automatic machines doing all the printing for Combat Life and then for the public.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Any shout outs or sponsors you want to thank before we go?

Mike Swick: I just want to thank the fans. I've been getting a lot of great feedback on my Twitter page (@OfficialSwick) and my website MikeSwick.com. I appreciate everything. I do my best to answer back all the questions. I do as much as possible to give back to the fans. Also, if you visit my Combat Life brand at CombatLifeBrand.com that would be awesome.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Sounds great Mike. Thanks for the time as always.

Mike Swick: Awesome man. Thanks so much buddy.

* Interview was done just prior to Walker's debut.

Derek Bolender is a contributor to MMAmania.com. He is also a syndicated writer to FoxSports.com and SI.com. Follow him at Twitter.com/DerekMMAwriter.

Pat Miletich: 'Frank Shamrock and I have verbally agreed to fight each other'

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 12:24 PM PST

Miletich-shamrock_medium

Props: Five Ounces of Pain

Quoteworthy

"We were hoping to put together a fight in March, but now it looks like that may not happen. We might have to wait for April or May. Who knows if it will ever happen. Frank Shamrock and I have verbally agreed to fight each other, but from what I understand he’s being difficult in the negotiations. For whatever reason he may have, I think it’s too bad because I think it’s the type of fight that would draw a lot of attention. It would be two guys that were UFC champions and have done a lot for that organization, and now they’re involved with Strikeforce. I think it just made sense. But for whatever reason I think he’s having trouble pulling the trigger. He may be nervous about getting slapped around, but that’s the way it sits right now. Hopefully I can find someone else to fight if he doesn’t want to do it. I want to get in there before Summer."

Shuri-ryu karate and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black Pat Miletich (29-7-2) contemplates having just his third fight since 2002 by verbally agreeing to trade blows with fellow MMA "Legend" Frank Shamrock in late Spring or early Summer 2010. "The Croatian Sensation" returned to the fight game by knocking out Thomas Denny at Adrenaline MMA 2 in December 2008. Both Miletich and Lil' Shammy are currently free agents, which means that the former IFL Coaches don't yet have a home for their planned scrap. Is Strikeforce the probable destination? Or will Shamrock's "difficult negotiations" end this fight before it even begins?

MFL 2: David Loiseau secures Feb. 27 charity fight to benefit Haitian earthquake victims

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 12:23 PM PST

Battlefield_medium

"The Crow" meets Isidro Gonzales at Mixed Fight League (MFL) 2: "Battleground" on Feb. 27 at the Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. $2 from each ticket sale will go to the American Red Cross to benefit the Haitian earthquake victims.

For more information on MFL 2: "Battleground" click here.

Demolition camp: K-1 strikers 'would kick the shit out of' Fedor Emelianenko

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 11:43 AM PST

Fedor_emelianenko_getting_rocked_by_kazuyuki_fujita_at_pride

Props: MMA Fighting

Quoteworthy:

"I feel very good about Alistair's chances. Fedor's striking isn't even close to Alistair's. Technically, Alistair's striking is way ahead of [his]. If Fedor ever fought in K-1, they'd kick the shit out of him. People don't realize how good Alistair's ground game is. He's really looking forward to fighting Fedor."

Martijn de Jong, mixed martial arts coach for current Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion Alistair Overeem, has a hard time finding any area that famed Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko is better at than his prized pupil. "The Last Emperor" proved that it only takes one punch when he crumpled Brett Rogers last November. Can a bulked up Overeem avoid the same fate? Of course such a match up is predicated on "Demolition Man" returning to the States to defend his title -- something he hasn't done in well over two years.

Shine Fights signs 2009 ADCC Absolute Champion Braulio Estima

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 10:41 AM PST

Braulioestima1_medium

The winner of both the under 88-kg and absolute divisions of the 2009 ADCC (Abu Dhabi Combat Club) submission championships, Braulio Estima, has signed on with Shine Fights to make his mixed martial arts debut at their third event. 

In addition to his triumphs at the 2009 ADDC competition, Estima won the third world jiu-jitsu championship of his career in 2009. Estima also defeated one of the most prolific grapplers of all-time, Marcelo Garcia, in the 2009 World Pro BJJ Cup Absolute semifinals, and again in the second round of the 2009 ADCC absolute division tournament.

The Brazilian submission ace is expected to make his debut for the promotion this spring at Shine 3.

Check out the video of Estima's victory over Garcia at the World Pro BJJ semifinal, where he submitted the legend via triangle choke, after the jump.

UFC 114: Dan Lauzon vs Efrain Escudero in the works for May 29

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 09:20 AM PST

Lauzon-escudero_medium
UFC sophomore Dan Lauzon (12-3) is in talks to try and get his first win inside the Octagon when he meets Ultimate Fighter 8 Champion Efrain Escudero (12-1) at the UFC 114 Memorial Weekend extravaganza planned for May 29 in the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Dan Duggan from The Boston Herald tweeted the pending match up earlier today.

After making a name for himself in the World Championship Fighting (WCF) promotion in his home state of Massachusetts, Lauzon made his appearance on the Affliction: "Day of Reconing" card in January 2009, submitting Bobby Green like an overdue tax form in the first round of their lightweight scrap.

After the "T-Shirt guys" bounced themselves out of the fight game, Lauzon got an "Upgrade" in opponents when Zuffa signed him to tangle with submission specialist Cole Miller on the main card of UFC Fight Night 20 back on January 2.

"Magrinho" welcomed the brother of Joe with a first round submission (Kimura).

Like Lauzon, Escudero was enjoying a comfortable winning streak following his championship run on the eighth season of the Spike TV reality show. After outworking Phillipe Nover at the TUF 8 Finale in December 2008, he pounded out Cole Miller at UFC 103: "Franklin vs. Belfort" in September 2009.

It seemed he was on the fast-track to the upper echelon of UFC lightweights -- until he ran into Evan Dunham at last month's UFC Fight Night 20 event.

After an impressive first round, "Hencho en Mexico" found himself on the wrong end of a grisly armbar. Because of his best efforts not to tap, Dunham was forced to crank the limb to the point of no return, damaging some tendons but fortunately avoiding any seriious injuries.

Escudero will reportedly be back in May. Will Lauzon be ready?

UFC 114 will feature the long overdue light heavyweight grudge match between bitter rivals and former TUF 10 coaches "Suga'" Rashad Evans and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.

Keep it locked in to MMAmania for future updates to this still-developing fight card.

UFC on Versus 1 results and LIVE fight coverage for 'Vera vs Jones' on March 21 in Broomfield

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 07:36 AM PST

Ufconversus-1_medium

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) recently put the finishing touches on its first-ever Versus network event scheduled for the The Odeum Colorado in Broomfield, Colorado, on Sunday, March 21, 2010.

"Vera vs. Jones" is set to feature a ridiculous main event between dynamic light heavyweight strikers Brandon "The Truth" Vera and Jon "Bones" Jones in a 205-pound clash that could be Jones' coming out party if he manages to finish the former heavyweight.

A win may even have him in the running for the next light heavyweight title shot.

Anthony "Rumble" Johnson and John "Doomsday" Howard will square off to settle their ongoing feud while Junior "Cigano" dos Santos hopes to throw his name in the heavyweight contender mix by stopping fellow Brazilian Gabriel "Napao" Gonzaga.

Here is the current "UFC on Versus 1" line up:

Main event:

205 lbs.: Jon Jones vs. Brandon Vera

Main card (Televised):

265 lbs.: Junior Dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
265 lbs.: Cheick Kongo vs. Paul Buentello
170 lbs.: John Howard vs. Anthony Johnson

Under card (May not be broadcast):

155 lbs.: Clay Guida vs. Shannon Gugerty
155 lbs.: Spencer Fisher vs. Duane Ludwig
205 lbs.: Eliot Marshall vs. Vladimir Matyushenko
185 lbs.: Alessio Sakara vs. James Irvin
265 lbs.: Chase Gormley vs. Brendan Schaub
170 lbs.: Mike Pierce vs. Rob Kimmons
205 lbs.: Eric Schafer vs. Jason Brilz

MMAmania.com will provide LIVE blow-by-blow, round-by-round coverage of UFC on Versus 1, beginning with the network TV  telecast. In addition, we will deliver up-to-the-minute quick results of all the under card action much earlier on fight night.

We’re still several weeks away from showtime; therefore, feel free to share your thoughts and predictions on "Vera vs. Jones" in the comments section below. And remember that MMAmania.com will be the spot for the latest news and event-related highlights before, during and after the event.

For more on the UFC Versus debut event click here.

Nate Marquardt ready for another crack at Anderson Silva with UFC 109 win over Chael Sonnen (Video)

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 07:08 AM PST

UFC Quick Quote: Michael Bisping will draw on his fight with Chris Leben to beat Wanderlei Silva

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 06:09 AM PST

Bisping-leben2_medium

"Stylistically, the fight may be similar to the one I had with Chris Leben in October 2008. Leben was a tough, aggressive guy with some highlight reel knockouts on his record and he really brought the fight to me. He also throws similarly wild and looping punches to Wanderlei. I had to use my speed and straighter punches to beat Leben and the same thing may come into play with Wanderlei. I’d say Wanderlei is a bit quicker and more explosive than Leben overall. Obviously the game plans won’t be the same, but in terms of style there are definite similarities between the two of them. I’m not going to fight Wanderlei the way I did Leben, but I may draw on my fight with Leben to help me beat Wanderlei. Whichever way I have to fight, the end result will be the same – my arm will be raised!"

Michael Bisping pens the latest entry in his online diary over at The Daily Telegraph as his confidence grows heading into his pending middleweight clash with Wanderlei Silva at UFC 110 from the Acer Arena in Sydney, Australia, on Feb. 21. "The Count" is planning to use his fight against Chris Leben at UFC 89 as a blueprint for defeating the former PRIDE FC wrecking ball. Will "The Axe Murderer" make sure that's one plan that doesn't come together?

World Champion wrestler Joe Warren signs with Bellator Fighting Championships

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 06:09 AM PST

20090927102406_img_5085_medium

CHICAGO, Ill. (February 1, 2010) – Bellator Fighting Championships announced today that three-time world champion Greco-Roman wrestler and highly-sought-after MMA prodigy Joe Warren has signed a long-term promotional agreement with Bellator and will compete in the promotion’s upcoming featherweight (145 lbs.) tournament this April on FOX Sports Net, NBC and Telemundo.

Warren is known throughout MMA for making one of the most remarkable debuts in the sport’s history, knocking off former WEC Champion Chase Beebe and Japanese superstar Kid Yamamoto in his first two professional fights. The Beebe bout, Warren admits, "was the first time I ever taped my hands or wore a cup," and it came just three months after he first began MMA training.

"We are very excited about this signing and being the MMA organization that brought Joe back to the states," said Bellator founder and CEO Bjorn Rebney. "Joe has the ability, drive, confidence and personality to become a star in our sport. His first two wins would make a good career for most fighters and as his stand-up continues developing, the sky is the limit for Joe Warren."

The 33-year-old Warren has been competing at a world-class level for years, training with the U.S Olympic Team and taking home gold medals at the 2006 Pan-Am Games, the 2006 FILA Wrestling World Championships and the 2007 Wrestling World Cup. Before that, he was an All-American freestyle wrestler at the University of Michigan. He made his stunning MMA debut last spring in Japan’s DREAM Grand Prix tournament.

"I competed for the USA for 10 years and I bleed red, white and blue," Warren said. "So I’m ready to come back to this country, make my U.S. debut and fight in front of the American MMA fans. I love everything that Bellator is doing and I’m just honored to be a part of their organization."

Warren, who is a member of the famed Team Quest, said he is focused now on continuing to hone his stand-up game, an education that has been accelerated by his experiences training with other top-caliber fighters including former WEC Champion Urijah Faber, Pride FC Champion Dan Henderson and WEC standout Scott Jorgensen.

"My hands are getting quicker, I’m seeing the openings quicker … I’m just getting better every single day. I’m already 1,000 times better than I was in my last fight," he said. "With my style and my experience and my never-lose, never-die attitude, it’s gonna be really exciting for Bellator and for everyone who’ll be watching on TV."

Among those who’ll certainly be watching are Warren’s wife, Christy Cech, and their 18-month-old son, Xandr Achilles Warren. The couple is expecting their second child in March.

"My family has always been behind me and they believe in me a lot, which drives me," Warren said. "I’m a family man, but I’m also a warrior. I’ve been through a lot of battles in my life so I thrive on it. In the heat of battle, some people turn, some people run and some people stand up and fight. I see this as a battle and I can promise that I’m gonna stand up in fight."

Warren is entering a lions den in Bellator’s eight-man Season 2 featherweight tournament where competitors include Georgi Karakhanyan, William Romero, Patricio Pitbull and Bao Quach. Bellator will also conduct tournaments at 155, 170 and 185 lbs. during Season 2, which begins April 8th. The winners in each division will be declared No. 1 contenders to the current roster of champions.

Each of Bellator’s 24 fights during Seasons 2 and 3 will be distributed live in primetime on Thursday nights on FOX Sports Net and its regional sports network affiliates. The top moments from each week’s live events will then be condensed into an action-packed 30-minute highlight show, broadcast every Saturday night, late night, on NBC. A one-hour highlight show will air in Spanish on Telemundo every Saturday night from midnight to 1 a.m.

For more information, visit Bellator.com, follow Bellator on Twitter @BellatorMMA or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Bellator.

Chael Sonnen talks Nate Marquardt fight at UFC 109 on tonight's edition of Pro MMA Radio

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 06:09 AM PST

Prommaradio-sonnen_medium
Just days before his 185-pound slugfest against Nate Marquardt at UFC 109: "Relentless," surging UFC middleweight Chael Sonnen will stop by Pro MMA Radio TONIGHT (Feb. 1) to give us the skinny on his preparations for Saturday's big fight in Las Vegas.

And anyone familiar with Sonnen's "anything goes" interviews won't want to miss this one.

Hosted by Larry Pepe, Pro MMA Radio is professional, guest-driven program that features some of mixed martial arts biggest names.

If you’re looking for a radio show that revolves around a couple of MMA fans ranting and raving about everything that’s already been covered ad nauseam, then Pro MMA Radio probably isn’t for you.

However, if you want to hear from actual fighters and industry insiders answering questions that are relevant to the current MMA scene, tune in every Monday night at 9 p.m. ET for our exclusive live feed.

See you tonight at 9 p.m. ET!

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com