Tuesday, July 1, 2008

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

Dana White ‘couldnt be happier’ with new UFC video game (Video)

Posted: 01 Jul 2008 08:15 AM CDT

Chris Leben: ‘The Evolution of an Icon’ video

Posted: 30 Jun 2008 10:30 PM CDT

Writers wanted for MMAmania.com

Posted: 30 Jun 2008 10:17 PM CDT

writers wanted
I’m a glutton for punishment, but once again we’re on the lookout for a few good writers.

Here are all the requirements:

  • Can write, understands correct English grammar and requires little to no edits
  • Possess a solid understanding of mixed martial arts
  • Able to research and mine story ideas independently
  • Can stay up-to-speed with the latest developments and turnaround quick copy
  • Demonstrate a writing style that engages readers
  • Break news with solid contacts or sources (desired … not required)

That about does it; however, there are several important things that are probably not on that list. We’ll blow up that bridge if we get that far.

Consistency is perhaps the biggest factor — we want writers who are willing to put in the time over the long-term. Not just guys/gals who think it’s cool for a month and then bail when they realize the commitment that goes into being part of our team.

To send us an email click here. Please include writing samples or links to previous work. And if you don’t have any experience or previous work to show then write something … impress us. We will not consider submissions that do not have something we can read and/or look at.

If you have any other questions feel free to email us and we’ll do our best to get back to you. Don’t take it personal if you don’t hear from us. Based on the sheer volume of responses we anticipate getting it would be impossible for us to respond to each and every interested candidate.

However, we appreciate that interest and thank everyone in advance who responds to this call.

Important note: If you have a certain promotion or “scene” that you would like to cover please include that in your email. Every little bit helps. With the sport growing so much so too does our need for more talented scribes.

Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ Silva vs Justin Eilers Elite XC fight for heavyweight title

Posted: 30 Jun 2008 04:26 PM CDT

antonio bigfoot silvaAfter weeks of speculation over who would be Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva’s (10-1) opponent in the battle for the first-ever Elite XC heavyweight championship, the mixed martial arts promotion has finally announced Justin Eilers (19-6-1) as its man, according to FiveOuncesOfPain.com.

Eilers is probably most known among the casual fans for his three straight losses over a year’s span in the UFC. From February 2005 to February 2006 he dropped three fights — each by first round technical knockout — to Paul Buentello, Andrei Arlovski and Brandon Vera, respectively.

However, Eilers is on a very impressive streak as of late, having won 10 of his past 11fights with the lone loss a decision to the hard-hitting Pedro Rizzo last March at The Art of War 1. It seems as though he’s targeted and fixed whatever holes in his game were leading to those knockout losses, and he’s once again ready for the big stage.

Apparently Elite XC thinks so, anyway, deeming his resume solid enough to compete for its heavyweight gold.

It won’t be an easy task for Eilers, however.

In fact, it will be a “giant” one — 6′4″ 265-pound Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva has long been touted by Elite XC Live Events President Gary Shaw as the “best heavyweight fighter in the world,” and he was a lock for the company’s first division title bout.

Coming off a less than impressive split decision victory over Ricco Rodriguez in February, “Bigfoot” is eager to show the fans a knee injury he sustained prior to that bout was a factor in his lack luster performance, and that he is in fact a much better fighter than he showed that night.

The Elite XC heavyweight division has been gaining depth lately and a title being introduced into the mix was long overdue. This should be a competitive bout, but one that is likely set up for Silva to win.

This fight is believed to be the main event of the Showtime portion of the co-telecast with CBS for the ‘Unfinished Business’ event on July 26 in Stockton, Calif. It will be the first of three scheduled title fights taking place on the evening, with Jake Shields and Nick Thompson fighting for the welterweight belt, as well as Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith re-matching for the middleweight strap.

Robbie Lawler vs Scott Smith 2 Elite XC video promo

Posted: 30 Jun 2008 03:20 PM CDT

Drew Fickett rant on Jake Shields, MFC, Ryan Ford and more

Posted: 30 Jun 2008 02:02 PM CDT

drew fickett
Props: MMArated.com

Quoteworthy:

“I’m a man of my word. I’m a man of my bond. I trained my ass off with my boy Kurt Pellegrino for like six weeks man. We trained balls. I was ready for five rounds against, honestly a superior technical opponent, who I was game to fight and game to beat, and you know try my best. Two days before I’m supposed to fight Jake, he pulls out of the fight. Alright cool, whatever, I’m trying to be a better man and he had a legitimate injury. So I fight Jae Suk Lim, who is actually a very good fighter. I got the best of him real quick and I didn’t get to see what he had unfortunately, because I know he was very talented, and I would have loved to have a little more time fighting him. So I go back and start training for the June card. I get a call…actually I pushed back the fight until July because I ended up hurting my knee. Two months out, my knee’s kind of twisted, and I got to fight five rounds with one of the best guys in the world. So, I’m like, I need more time to train. They’re like alright cool, you’re calling us 2 months in advance, rather than two days. So I’m like cool, I let them know July. Then Jake is like, verbatum from him and his manager, I can’t fight until after August. I messed my back up and can’t fight until after August. So I emailed Jake and said sorry about your injury, let me know when you’re ready. I’m gonna keep fighting because I love to fight every month. He emails me back, hey man I was ready for June. Ok, I don’t know what that means, but thats a little strange and odd. I’m like cool, whatever, I end up fighting a guy that I fought a long time ago who is like 3-10. A very low risk fight in Rage in the Cage. I get my knee taped up by a PT, like master blaster style. The whole time I’m like, alright I’m not gonna kick, I’m just gonna go in there and submit him real quick. What happens? I go in there and submit him real quick. I make like $2,500 bucks. Then I start hearing rumors of Jake talking shit. Before I fought in Rage in the Cage in June, I even emailed him, letting him know, hey man I have to take a low risk fight to make some money. So I’m just letting you know, I’m not avoiding our fight. My knee’s pretty messed up, but I got to fight hurt. I have proof of the email. So he’s like, cool, whatever, we’ll make it happen. Now all of a sudden he’s better, and he’s not injured until August, and he’s fighting Nick Thompson for his little fake ass little belt in July. He’s talking shit, saying I’m ducking him and this and that. I just don’t understand people. You might be able to beat me in the ring or whatever, but trust me, I’m the first guy you want to go to war with.”

Drew Fickett gives his side of the events that transpired leading to his absence from the June 14 Elite XC welterweight title fight against Jake Shields. “The Master” went ahead and took a fight just a week before the show, indicating to most that he was indeed not hurt. Regardless, it didn’t sit well with Elite XC and the promotion booked Nick Thompson to challenge Shields instead on July 26. Most recently, Fickett took a fight on short notice to tangle with Luke Stewart at Strikeforce: “Melendez vs. Thomson.” However, in doing so he would have violated the terms of his contract with MFC — he has a title fight booked against Ryan Ford in late July. Long story short, Fickett never got to fight Stewart and now MFC has scratched him from its card because of the dust up. Fickett is an original for sure. The interview is pretty funny, and worth a listen if you have some time.

UFC Quick Quote: Gabriel Gonzaga road back to title shot starts at UFC 86

Posted: 30 Jun 2008 01:48 PM CDT

gabriel gonzaga

“I need to come back with wins. I’ll fight anybody. My goal is to be the champion. When I get a title shot, this is my goal. I had a long way to go to get a title shot, and I’ll do it again. I believe I need a couple of wins. And then more and more fights I need to win…. I’m here. I’m training hard to come back with my best condition to give my best show to my fans. I need to come back with wins, but my goal is still to win a belt.”

– Former number one heavyweight contender Gabriel Gonzaga tells Sherdog.com that he intends to once again challenge for the division championship. “Napao” lost his bid to claim the strap against Randy Couture at UFC 74: “Respect” in 2007. He followed that up with another loss to Fabricio Werdum earlier this year. Now he’s set to take on Justin McCully at UFC 86: “Griffin vs. Jackson” at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on July 5. The journey begins all over again. Can he make it?

Forrest Griffin on Rampage Jackson UFC 86 fight (Video)

Posted: 30 Jun 2008 12:10 PM CDT

UFC weigh-in 86 Jackson vs Griffin info and details

Posted: 30 Jun 2008 11:53 AM CDT

UFC weigh-in 86 Jackson vs Griffin
The official weigh-in event for UFC 86: "Jackson vs. Griffin" is set for this Friday, July at 7 p.m. ET at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.

It will air LIVE online via streaming video on UFC.com at this time.

Of course, MMAmania.com will provide up to the minute coverage of the UFC 86 weigh-in, as well as provide a detailed recap of the festivities as soon as they conclude.

Here's the complete line up:

Main event:

UFC Light Heavyweight Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin

Main card (Televised):

185 lbs.: Patrick Cote (12-4) vs. Ricardo Almeida (9-2)
155 lbs.: Joe Stevenson (28-8) vs. Gleison Tibau (15-5)
170 lbs.: Josh Koscheck (10-2) vs. Chris Lytle (25-15)
155 lbs.: Tyson Griffin (11-1) vs. Marcus Aurelio (16-5)

Under card (May not be broadcast):

265 lbs.: Gabriel Gonzaga (8-3) vs. Justin McCully (8-3-2)
155 lbs.: Cole Miller (13-3) vs. Jorge Gurgel (12-3)
155 lbs.: Melvin Guillard (21-7-2) vs. Dennis Siver (11-5)
155 lbs.: Corey Hill (2-0) vs. Justin Buchholz (7-2)

For those in "Sin City" this Fourth of July weekend remember that the weigh-ins are FREE to attend and open to the public.

And for those who want to make the most out of the experience head over to the Mandalay Bay Events Center bar at 1 p.m. local time and get some autographs and photos taken with Amir Sadollah, Jon Fitch and Manny Gamburyan.

Sounds like a good time.

In addition to coverage of the weigh-in, remember that MMAmania.com will also provide LIVE round-by-round, blow-by-blow coverage of the main card action on fight night, which is slated to air at 10 p.m. ET on pay-per-view (PPV) from the Mandalay Bay Events Center on Saturday, July 5.

Of course, the latest quick updates of the prelim bouts will begin to flow earlier than that at around 8:30 p.m. ET.

It's going to be a fun night of fights … check us out for all the pre, during and post-fight coverage you can handle.

‘UFC Countdown’ 86 to ‘Jackson vs Griffin’ airs tonight on Spike TV

Posted: 30 Jun 2008 09:59 AM CDT

ufc 86 countdown
“Countdown to UFC 86: Jackson vs Griffin” will air tonight at midnight on Spike TV, kicking off the promotional festivities for the long-awaited 205-pound clash between Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Forrest Griffin.

It’s the main event that will headline the pay-per-view (PPV) show this Independence Day weekend from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.

And we can certainly expect fireworks.

Here’s the description for the hour-long Spike TV special:

“Now that latest Ultimate Fighter® series has determined a winner, it’s time for the coaches to get ready for their own test of skills. Go behind-the-scenes with defending UFC® Light Heavyweight title holder Rampage Jackson and Forrest Griffin as they train in Los Angeles and Las Vegas, respectively.”

We will more than likely also get a behind-the-scenes look at the training camps for Ricardo Almeida and Patrick Cote — two middleweights who will go toe-to-toe in the co featured bout of the evening to possibly determine the number one contender in the 185 pound clash.

To check out the complete UFC 86: “Jackson vs Griffin” card click here. Remember that MMAmania.com will provide LIVE blow-by-blow, round-by-round coverage of the main card action will the PPV telecast, which begins at 10 p.m. ET.

“Countdown to UFC 86: Jackson vs Griffin” will re-air on July 2 at 9 a.m. ET and July 5 at 10 p.m. ET.

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com