Wednesday, April 1, 2009

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

Cole Miller overheats during FN 18 weigh-in with Junie Browning (Video)

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 05:15 PM PDT

Props: Yahoo Sports

Ryan Jensen vs Steve Steinbeiss bout cancelled for Fight Night 18 (Updated)

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 04:29 PM PDT

The 185-pound scrap between UFC middleweights Ryan Jensen and Steve Steinbeiss scheduled for UFC Fight Night 18: "Condit vs Kampmann" on April 1 from the Sommet Center in Nashville, Tennessee, has been canceled after Jensen failed to obtain the proper medical clearance to compete.

From UFC.com

The middleweight bout between Ryan Jensen and Steve Steinbeiss will not take place due to a medical approval issue regarding Jensen.

Steinbeiss and Jensen were originally prevented from weighing in due to what was first reported as an “administrative issue.” The pair eventually tipped the scales at 186 lbs. after the formal procedures were finished — but now that appears to be for naught.

With just 24 hours until fight night, it’s hard to imagine a suitable replacement being found to step in against Steinbeiss. While unfortunate, the good news is that FN 18 features a total of 12 fights, so there is still plenty of combat left for the guys and gals down in Nashville.

***UPDATE: Yahoo Sports Cagewriter has reported that Jensen disclosed to the Tennesse Athletic Commission that he had taken the drug Adderall (used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Narcolespy), thus prompting the suspension of the fight.

MMA Quick Quote: El Nino looking for redemption against The Punk on April 11

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 04:18 PM PDT

"I expect the same Josh (Thomson). Sticking and moving, sticking and moving, and trying to stay light on his feet. He'll fight with a lot more tricks, a lot more strategy. Maybe go low, and then high and fight at a lot more angles. Josh is a great. He's a pioneer in the sport and I expect everything from him. He's good everywhere. He had great takedowns last time as well and I expect a good fight from him … I feel great. I feel like 25 minutes is like a normal thing for me. It's a jog. It's always hard to feel completely prepared because I always feel like there isn't enough time in the week to prepare and do everything I need. I feel confident that I'm going to do a hell of a lot better than my last performance out there. I'm just looking forward to performing a lot better than last time.”

-Top ranked lightweight and former Strikeforce 155-pound champion Gilbert Melendez talks about his preparation for his rematch with Josh Thomson during an open media workout for the upcoming Strikeforce event on April 11. "El Nino" has not seen action since losing his title in a decisive unanimous decision to "The Punk" last June. The loss was only the second of his sparkling 16-fight career, which includes notable wins over Hiroyuki Takaya, Clay Guida, Tatsuya Kawajiri and others.

UFC Fight Night 18 weigh in results for ‘Condit vs Kampmann’ (Video update)

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 02:47 PM PDT

The official weigh-in event for UFC Fight Night 18: "Condit vs Kampmann" took place today (March 31) from the Sommet Center in Nashville, Tennessee.

It was an interesting event to say the least — two fighters in the same fight, Jeremy Stephens and Gleison Tibau, both missed their marks and two other fighters set to do battle, Ryan Jensen and Steve Steinbeiss, didn’t weigh in at all until after the lights came down.

Stephens and Tibau have apparently agreed to fight at a catchweight of 158 pounds.

Here are the complete UFC Fight Night 18 weigh in results:

170 lbs.: Carlos Condit (170.5) vs. Martin Kampmann (170)
205 lbs.: Ryan Bader (206) vs. Carmelo Marrero (205)
155 lbs.: Tyson Griffin (156) vs. Rafael dos Anjos (156)
155 lbs.: Junie Browning (156) vs. Cole Miller (156)
155 lbs.: Gleison Tibau (156.5)* vs. Jeremy Stephens (158)*
185 lbs.: Ricardo Almeida (185.5) vs. Matt Horwich (185)
170 lbs.: Brock Larson (171) vs. Jesse Sanders (171)
185 lbs.: Tim Credeur (186) vs. Nick Catone (186)
185 lbs.: Nissen Osterneck (186) vs. Jorge Rivera (185)
185 lbs.: Rob Kimmons (184) vs. Joe Vedepo (184)
185 lbs.: Tim McKenzie (184.5) vs. Aaron Simpson (186)
185 lbs.: Ryan Jensen (186) vs. Steve Steinbeiss (186)

Note: Fighters are allowed to weigh one pound more than the division limit in non-title fights.
* Missed weight on first attempt. Lightweight bout now scheduled to be contested at 158 pounds.

Remember that MMAmania.com will provide LIVE round-by-round, blow-by-blow coverage of the main card action on fight night (Wed., April 1), which is slated to air at 8 p.m. ET on Spike TV from the Sommet Center in Nashville. Of course, the latest quick updates of the prelim bouts will begin to flow earlier than that right here at around 6:30 p.m. ET.

Remember to check out MMAmania.com for all the pre, during and post-fight UFC Fight Night 18 coverage you can handle. This event ends the recent mixed martial arts drought, kicking off the action for the month of April, as well as serving as the lead-in to The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 9 on Spike TV.

See you tomorrow night Maniacs!

Special thanks to Tracy Lee at CombatLifestyle.com for the weigh-in pic. To check out the complete UFC Fight Night 18 weigh in gallery click here.

Bully Beatdown video on MTV with Michael Westbrook (Episode two)

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 11:54 AM PDT

Congenital amputee Kyle Maynard to make amateur MMA debut on April 25

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 11:45 AM PDT


(Atlanta, Ga., March 31, 2009) — One month after his 23rd birthday, Kyle Maynard will fulfill what has been a lifelong dream. He will compete in his first Amateur Mixed Martial Arts match. The match will take place on Saturday, April 25 in Auburn, AL at The Auburn Covered Arena in an event titled "Auburn Fight Night."

Auburn Fight Night tickets and more information can be found at www.BattlePass.com.

Maynard, a congenital amputee with no elbows or knees, burst onto the national scene when he graduated from Collins Hill High School in Suwanee, GA with a wrestling record of 35-16 in his senior season and a 3.7 GPA. He is the recipient of a 2004 ESPN Espy Award for Best Athlete With A Disability and has been featured on many radio interviews, talk shows and television programs including The Oprah Winfrey Show and Larry King Live.

Currently he works as a speaker for the Washington Speaker’s Bureau, specializing in motivational speeches. He is also the author of the memoir No Excuses: The True Story of a Congenital Amputee Who Became a Champion in Wrestling and in Life.

In 2004, at the age of 18 while a student at The University of Georgia and a member of its club wrestling team, Maynard told a USA Today reporter "I'd love to fight in that" when pointing to a Randy Couture UFC poster hanging in his dorm room. The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), is often times referred to as the pinnacle of Mixed Martial Arts fighting.

Maynard will get his first opportunity to fight in the sport of Mixed Martial Arts on Saturday, April 25 in Auburn, AL. He will become the first congenital amputee to compete in a Mixed Martial Arts match.

Maynard was originally hoping to fight in his hometown of Duluth, GA nearly two years ago. The fight did not occur due to the Georgia Athletic & Entertainment Commission denying Maynard a license to fight. The state of Alabama has no Athletic Commission that governs the sport of Mixed Martial Arts.

"I've been promoting fights since 2002, nearly 50 events combined, and I've never seen someone with the drive that Kyle possesses," said promoter David Oblas. "I've seen Kyle overcome every obstacle put in front of him and on Saturday, April 25 he will overcome yet another. This is something that Kyle has wanted to do for years now and something that I'm happy to help him achieve."

Kyle Maynard added, "The first question that I receive from everyone is do I fear for my safety while fighting in the cage? Absolutely not. Despite my lack of limbs I can protect myself just as much as the average fighter. I have been preparing for this fight for years and I cannot wait for Saturday, April 25 to arrive. There is no challenge and no goal that I have worked as hard for as this one. I would like to thank all of my family, friends and training partners for their support as I enter the last 30 days of my training camp."

For additional information and for ticket information regarding Auburn Fight Night please visit www.BattlePass.com. The Auburn Covered Arena will be configured to fit 7,000 people for this fight. Tickets are on sale for $20 in advance and $25 the day of the fights for General Admission. VIP tables of eight are available for $400. Auburn Fight Night will consist of both professional and amateur Mixed Martial Arts fights with several Auburn fighters competing on the event.

TUF guy: Ryan ‘Darth’ Bader exclusive UFC Fight Night 18 interview with MMAmania.com

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 09:54 AM PDT

Looking back at Season 8 of The Ultimate Fighter, it seems obvious now: Bader should have never been counted as the underdog, especially leading into the Finale against Vinicius (Vinny) Magalhaes.

He was the first pick for Team Nogueira (second pick overall, behind the much-feared Krzysztof Soszynski). His record at the time (7-0) speaks volumes over some of the other top contenders: Soszynski (15-8-1), Magalhaes (2-2) and Eliot Marshall (5-1) — volumes because if someone can figure out a way to beat Soszynski and Magalhaes half the time, neither fighter is exactly "safe money."

But perhaps most importantly, Bader is a two-time Division 1 All-American wrestler and three-time Pac-10 Champion. His 120 wins rank 8th all-time for Arizona State University — more than teammates C.B. Dollaway and Cain Velasquez, and more than nearly all of the 100+ Sun Devil All-Americans.

Sure, Magalhaes walked through all of his opponents with first round submissions — including an impressive armbar over "The Polish Experiment," the overall favorite to win the light heavyweight tournament.

But there's something that "Darth" Bader has that none of his TUF 8 competitors have — and I'm not talking about a better nickname. He's a winner. Just like the Pittsburgh Steelers, the U.S. Armed Forces and Batman at the box office, you don't bet against winners. That's the only smart money advice you'll ever need to hear.

Tomorrow night at UFC Fight Night 18, Bader (now 8-0) will get the first test of his UFC career since knocking Magalhaes unconscious at the TUF 8 Finale. And it's not as easy as you might think.

Carmelo Marrero (10-2) is 4-0 (with one no contest) during the last year and a half, including a close split decision victory at WEC 36 over Bader's teammate, Steve Steinbeiss. A former heavyweight, "The Fury" holds a win over Cheick Kongo and has only ever lost to Gabriel Gonzaga and Wilson Gouveia — two very bad dudes.

Fight Night 18: "Condit vs. Kampmann" goes down tomorrow night, Wednesday, April 1 live from the Sommet Center in Nashville, Tennessee and airs on Spike TV. It serves as the lead-in to The Ultimate Fighter Season 9: "U.S. vs. U.K.", which will feature lightweights and welterweights from the two countries competing against one another for the coveted six-figure UFC contract.

We recently caught up with Bader, who talked about his upcoming fight with "The Fury," how he got involved in mixed martial arts in the first place, what it felt like being called the underdog for the first time in his career, and taunting his opponents via text messages before they fight.

Here we go:

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): You entered The Ultimate Fighter Season 8 Finale vs. Vinny Magalhaes as the underdog. Did that surprise you?

Ryan Bader: Nah, I knew I was going to come in as the underdog as far as on the internet, on the MMA forums and then on the Vegas betting lines — just from reading stuff and people seeing Vinny take everybody out in the first round convincingly on the ground. Then, knowing I was a wrestler, they figured I was just going to go in there and take him down and get submitted.

But myself and my camp knew better and knew I wasn't the underdog. But I definitely like playing that underdog role in public. So it was fun.

It was one of the first times that I got to do that. Coming from a good college wrestling background, being an All-American, and fighting in these little shows, I was always the favorite to win, so I never got to play that role. So when I did (against Vinny), it was definitely a fun experience. And to kind of show everybody they were wrong and get The Ultimate Fighter plaque, it was definitely a cool experience.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Do you follow what people are talking about online?

Ryan Bader: Yeah, I get on MMA.tv. I have a little thing there, I post here and there. It's good for marketing, interact with your fans, if you ever want to put something up. I don't go to a bunch of other places, but occasionally I do.

Sometimes it's bad if you're on there and people are talking a bunch of crap. But you know, I'm an MMA fan also, so I like to go and see what's going on in the MMA world and watch different videos and whatnot. So I would definitely say I do.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): You KO'd Vinny with a fierce right hand. Was that the game plan — to keep it standing and not let Vinny get to the ground?

Ryan Bader: Yeah, if it were to go to the ground, I felt somewhat comfortable, whether it was just to fend off his submission attempts and get back to my feet. We worked a lot. I worked with Nogueira's coach quite a bit and went over a bunch of different things that he might do, as far as his rubber guard and just staying out of it.

In the training camp, I really didn't wrestle that much at all, just so I wouldn't go back to it. So in MMA sparring, I never, I don't think the whole training camp, went in and took somebody down.

Basically, we'd get in the middle (during) MMA sparring, I would go five rounds with a new person every time. They would come at me, they would try pulling guard, flying armbars, taking me down, and I'd just have to stand the whole time and I can't even think about taking anybody down.

But it helped out, because sometimes you get into a fight, and it's your natural reaction as a wrestler to go in there. You get kicked and you follow that leg in there or whatever. And you can see in the fight, when I did get kicked one time, I grabbed it and thought about it real quick — and with the training that I did, I kinda just backed up.

So the game plan was to go in there — I even said it in the UFC interview — go in there and land a big right hand on him and watch him go down. And that's what happened.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): From a personal perspective, what was your impression of Vinny going into that fight. Did you guys get along in the house?

Ryan Bader: Yeah, he has kinda that Brazilian bravado kinda deal going on, but he's actually a pretty cool guy as far as when I was hanging out with him. We got along pretty good, we joked around all the time.

I was even joking around with him in text messages before all that. I was telling him I got a new takedown for him, and just kinda messing with his head a little bit.

But we still keep in contact, and he's a good guy. I liked him.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): I think that's the first time I've heard of a fighter trash talking on text messages leading up to fight. (Laughs)

Ryan Bader: (Laughs) We were friends. You're stuck in a house with somebody for six weeks, you get to know 'em pretty well. In that house, you're fighting people you're having breakfast with that morning. So it's really not a big deal. You came here to do something, so let's do it.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): You're due to face Carmelo Marrero at Fight Night 18 on April 1. The American Top Team member comes from a wrestling background too, having been a two-time heavyweight national tournament qualifier for Rider University. Tell me how you see the two of you measuring up, both on the feet and on the ground.

Ryan Bader: I think I'm a better wrestler than he is. He's been fighting since 2004, and I just got done wrestling a couple years ago. I was at a higher level of wrestling, I feel.

On the feet I think I have more power. I feel that I'm a little more polished because I've been working so hard on my standup.

He's a tough dude, he's going to come after me. His wrestling is always pretty good, he has little tricky trips that he does. His submission skills are pretty good.

I watched him fight my training partner in his last fight in the WEC in November. He won a very close split decision to Steve Steinbeiss, who I'm training with now and who's also on the April 1st card. So I got to see him live and I got to hear from Steve a little bit about him, so that was nice.

But I think he's definitely a step up in competition. He's going to come at me and come at me to fight the whole time, (based on) watching his older fights. I'm looking forward to it and getting a little test.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): I was going to ask you about Steinbeiss. Did he help prepare you, in terms of developing a game plan or strategy for this fight?

Ryan Bader: Well there's only so much you can do as far as a game plan goes, especially with a wrestler. I don't know if I'm going to be on my back, I don't know if he's going to be on his back, or if we're going to stay standing.

So Steve was helping me, he was telling me when he took (Carmelo) down — Steve was a K-1 kickboxer, the only wrestling that he's learned is what we've taught him, and he's getting tough now as far as wrestling — but he took Carmelo down and was on top of him. He said he didn't have much off his back at all, if anything. He said he felt comfortable on his back, (Steve) almost swept him one time, got up, and so …

Had Steve been like, "Oh the guy's freakishly strong on the ground, you really don't want to be on your back," or whatever. But Steve just said that he was fine wherever the fight was, so it was nice to hear a little bit of that.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Marrero used to be a heavyweight. He holds a win over Cheick Kongo. I'm not sure what he walks around at, but given the fact that he used to be a heavyweight and used to walk around heavier than he does now, do you think that size will be a factor at all?

Ryan Bader: No, I think that I'm actually bigger than him right now. I'm 6'2" about 225, 230. I know that when he was fighting at heavyweight, he was about 6'0" 225. So I don't know if he got any smaller for 205, but size is definitely not going to be a difference at all in this fight. We're similar size, basically, I'm a couple of inches taller. So it really doesn't have anything to do with it.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Obviously with your wrestling background, cutting weight isn't much of an issue at all I would imagine. You said that you're 225 or 230, is that typically what you walk around at, or do you go heavier than that.

Ryan Bader: No, 230 is pretty much the max, I can get up to maybe 234 after training camp and after a huge meal and a gallon of water. But I stay between 225 and 230. I like to get my weight down to about 220ish when I leave for the fight.

That's not really hard for me. I've been making weight my whole life. I used to make it every weekend in college wrestling. So now it's kind of a blessing. Maybe once every three or four months I get to weigh in. I get to weigh in the day before — with wrestling it was day of — so I look at this and it's awesome to be able to do that. So I can't really bitch at all about that.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Arizona Combat Sports is starting to get a reputation for its up-and-coming fighters. In addition to having WEC Lightweight Champion Jamie Varner and WEC Welterweight Champion Carlos Condit, you have C.B. from TUF7, Jesse Forbes from TUF3, the Steinbeiss brothers, Aaron Simpson, the list goes on. Can you talk about your experience so far with the camp?

Ryan Bader: Our camp, we're really all close. It's nice, there aren't any egos. With other gyms, when you're done fighting, you're done, you're not coming back in. If C.B. has a fight coming up here, we're all going to be back helping him. He has a fight in July, but if he had a fight sooner, we'd be in there the week after a fight helping him out.

We're a close-knit group and that's how we've been successful. Having guys there like Aaron and C.B. who I've been around for eight plus years wrestling-wise, and having gone through a lot and gone through practice day in and day out with them, we know how each other works.

We know how our bodies respond to different things. If one guy's having a hard time, we know to go up to him and tell him, "Hey you need to take a day off or something."

We go hard when it's time to go hard. We push each other, we're all highly competitive. So if one person is getting the better of the other person, the other person is trying to get the better of him, and then everybody else in the gym.

We're all really good friends, so I think that's what makes us all successful, because we look out for each other and help each other be successful.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): I was checking out the Arizona Combat Sports page and saw the phoenix symbol in the logo on the landing page. I couldn't tell from the picks online, is that logo similar to the tattoo you have on your upper arm, or is that tat something else?

Ryan Bader: It's pretty much something else. It's a little similar. It's just a phoenix logo, and mine's an eagle, basically. But no, I didn't get it from the gym.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Is there a story behind the tattoo, or did you just like the design?

Ryan Bader: Basically all my tattoos, they mean I'm following my dreams, doing what I want to do. I'm not taking into account what other people want me to do. I'm just going to follow my dreams and do what I want and accomplish everything.

I kinda like that. It pushes me day in and day out. I came in and got my degree in college and people ask, "Why don't you have a job now?" I was going to go to law school. People were pushing me different ways, but I wanted to be an athlete, I wanted to be an MMA fighter.

So when I got the opportunity, I jumped on it. I did what I want to do. I don't want to be 50 years old, looking back and watching it on TV and going, "I could have been great at that." I wanted to do it now. If it doesn't work out for me, I can say I tried it, at least I did it. That's basically the story behind the tattoos.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): During your days at ASU where you wrestled with teammates Cain Velasquez and C.B. Dollaway, did you guys talk about getting into mixed martial arts together, or was it something that you saw Cain get into it, and you said, this is something I'm interested in, maybe I should pursue it?

Ryan Bader: We would mess around a little bit. Senior year, there was different ways to cut weight. We'd roll around like jiu-jitsu — we didn't even know what we were doing, but C.B. and I would just roll around in plastics, and try to cut weight. Just a change from the monotonous ways to cut weight in wrestling.

We heavily followed the sport. We knew Cain. Cain was always talking about it. He kept saying, "What else am I going to do? I'm going to go in there and check it out. And see if I can be successful."

We got back from Nationals, and C.B. and I went down with Cain to Nogales, Mexico. He was going to fight in his first fight a week after getting back from Nationals. He didn't have anything but wrestling, and maybe hitting some mitts in the ASU wrestling room. So we went down there, and the guy ended up pulling out.

But we knew Cain was going in it right away. I actually went out and got a job. I worked that job for nine months. It was kinda like sales and marketing. I was kinda in the office, I could leave and whatnot. But I just realized that that's not what I want to do.

I was kind of training basic kick boxing, trying to learn it a little bit — not to fight, just to kinda check it out and keep active. And they came up to me, and they were like, "Hey, you wanna fight?" And I couldn't fight that time, so C.B. took it, and slammed the guy in like 30 seconds, knocked him out.

Sooner or later I had my first fight. We were all on a card up on an Indian reservation in Arizona, and after that, I fell in love with it. When I had the chance to train full time through a sponsor I jumped on it. I've been working toward that ever since until I got on the show.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): I used to live in Flagstaff, I went to grad school at Northern Arizona University, and it's such a beautiful state. It's nice to hear the success of Arizona Combat Sports.

Ryan Bader: Thank you. We used to go up and fight at an Indian reservation about an hour north of Phoenix. I can't remember what it was called.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Was it up there in the Verde Valley?

Ryan Bader: Camp Verde. We fought up there a couple times.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Right on. Well Ryan, thanks a lot for taking the time to talk with us. I wanted to give you an opportunity to plug any sponsors or websites or if you have any parting words for your fans.

Ryan Bader: I just want to say thank you to all the people that supported me. I'll try to put on a good show on April 1, and hopefully you'll see a new part of my game.

I got a new website up, it's www.ryanbader.com. Check that out. A blog's on there, what's going on with me right now. There's videos coming up of us in this training camp sparring with C.B., it escalated a little bit, and we was trying to kill each other. It's a funny video. And different workout videos, so check that out.

UFC 99: Cain Velasquez vs. Heath Herring fight official for Germany on June 13

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 08:58 AM PDT

Some fans had their doubts, but it is indeed on!

Despite rumors and speculation that the match up between undefeated heavyweight prospect Cain Velasquez (5-0) and mixed martial arts veteran Heath Herring (28-14) was scratched from UFC 99 at the Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany, on June 13, the promotion today made the bout official.

And the clash — the stiffest test to date in the bright young career of Velesquez — has also received second billing just below the 195-pound main event between Rich Franklin and Wanderlei Silva. The UFC 99 fight card now appears complete, which we will get to shortly.

In the meantime let’s once again talk about a great heavyweight showdown.

Velasquez most recently mugged Denis Stojnic at UFC Fight Night 17 for a round and a half en route to a second round technical knockout victory. It marked just the first time that a Velasquez opponent has made it out of the opening frame.

The American Kickboxing Academy (AKA) revealed after the fight that he was disappointed with the dominating performance and vowed to come back better than an ever in his next appearance. He’ll need to do just that to have success against a crafty vet such as Herring.

Velasquez now holds wins inside the Octagon against Stojnic, Jake O’Brien and Brad Morris.

“The Texas Crazy Horse” has not seen action since a unanimous decision loss to Brock Lesnar at UFC 87: “Seek and Destroy” back in August 2008. He sustained a serious eye injury during the fight, which required him to remain on the sidelines for the remainder of the 2009 fight season.

Lesnar, on the other hand, went on to defeat Randy Couture via technical knockout nearly three months later to capture the division crown.

Herring has had mixed results since joining the promotion in early 2007, losing three fights and winning two. He has gone the distance in all five of those fights. Drawing a fighter with a strong wrestling background who keeps the pedal to the metal throughout the fight such as Velasquez is going to be difficult to handle.

However, Herring has been in against the best in the business and is very capable wherever the fight ends up.

For the latest on UFC 99, including rumored match ups, check out our event archive right here.

Junie Browning on Cole Miller UFC Fight Night 18 bout (Video)

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 06:17 AM PDT

No respect: Michael Bisping leads the British Bulldogs sacrifice on TUF 9

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 06:13 AM PDT

Props: DailyStar.co.uk

Quoteworthy:

” … these guys gave it 110 per cent. They turned up in shape, they trained their asses off and they fought like British bulldogs. I can say Team UK does Great Britain proud. A lot of Americans, be they fighters, fans or even the media, don't respect British MMA — but Team UK ­represented British MMA very well, despite being so far from home…. They really went into this looking at it like the chance of a lifetime. Winning TUF 3 back in 2006 completely changed my life and the lives of my fiance and two kids. It was a huge turning point. I tried to impress upon Team UK what a huge opportunity they had…. They were training three times a day, but to get into the UFC you have to make sacrifices. I'm proud to say Team UK made those sacrifices."

– The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 3 light heavyweight winner and coach on the upcoming ninth installment of the mixed martial arts reality series, Michael Bisping, is proud of his motley crew for their dedication and hard work as participants on the show. “The Count” will lead a 16-man team from the United Kingdom against Dan Henderson’s American crew, beginning tomorrow night (Wednesday, April 1) on Spike TV at 10 pm ET. Bisping has indicated in interviews leading up to the debut that he will not tolerate the in-house shenanigans in seasons past, which have included everything up to and including all sorts of bodily fluids, as coach. It seems as though he may have gotten through to them … we’ll see for certain soon enough. God willing. Check out a refresher on the names of the UK participants after the jump.

Lightweights: James Bryan, Dan James, Gary Kelly, Jeff Lawson, Ross Pearson, Martin Stapleton, AJ Wenn, Andre Winner.

Welterweights: Dean Amarasinghe, James Bateman, David Faulkner, Tommy Maguire, Che Mills, Nicholas Osipczak, Alex Reid, James Wilks

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com