Tuesday, April 14, 2009

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC 97 videos: Chuck Liddell is back; Shogun seeks ‘Redemption’

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 03:32 AM PDT

Check out what Mauricio “Shogun” Rua” has to say about this weekend’s blockbuster match up after the jump.

‘Patience’ the key for Thiago Silva against Forrest Griffin at UFC 101

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 03:31 AM PDT

“… the UFC has given me a good chance to recover my name. I'll face a tough guy, I'll give my best and train a lot. It will be a tough fight, sure, he's a very good fighter, but I’m prepared. Anyone who knows me knows how I fight, I go for it and only on will be standing after the fight, for sure…. Caution, not to be nervous. I thought I wouldn't be nervous with Lyoto, because he runs a lot, but in the first minute I was already pulling my hair off … I think patience is the key…. this revenge is what I want most in my life, brother.”

– Chute Boxe-trained Thiago Silva reflects in an interview with Tatame.com on what went so wrong in the knockout loss to Lyoto Machida at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2″ earlier this year and how he intends to learn from the first setback in his promising career. He has a tough rebound fight against former UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin at UFC 101 at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, Pa., on August 8. He’ll take his time in that one and no doubt look to get back to his throat-slashing ways against 205-pound winner of the inaugural season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF). If he’s successful it will be his first step on the road back to trying to slay the elusive “Dragon.”

Mirko Cro Cop: ‘Stop giving me advice to quit!;’ Eyes Dream 9 return

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 10:51 PM PDT

mirko cro cop

Props: MMACube.com (via NovaTV.hr)

Quoteworthy:

“I’m in a final stage of my career. I don’t know if that means I have three, five, 10 or 15 fights left, but I know one thing for sure … this is going to be the most productive part of my career. I’ve resolved in my head things that were bothering me. I had to answer the question do I still want to train so hard every day. And now I’m certain that I do. It’s not about the money anymore. I’ve made enough money throughout my career. I realized I don’t know how to live without fighting. And people who ask me why don’t I end my career with 35 years…well, maybe they didn’t have anything in their lives they were devoted to 100 percent. I’m just asking them to try to understand me, I can’t live without fighting. So please people, stop giving me advice to quit! I know one thing now, One day when I stop fighting — a part of me will certainly die. My recovery is going better than any doctor expected. I believe my first fight could be on DREAM 9.”

Pride FC 2006 Open Weight Grand Prix winner Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (24-6-2) — who is recovering from knee surgery following his technical knockout win over Hong Man Choi at Field's Dynamite!! on New Year's Eve — indicates he could have plans to return at Dream 9, which is scheduled for the Yokohama Arena in Yokohama, Japan, on May 26. The 34-year-old Croatian striker has fallen on hard times since his tournament-winning performance two years ago, losing two of five fights and looking listless in the process. No opponent potential opponent was mentioned in the interview; however, it appears that Filipovic is ready to once again take on all comers. Is one last epic swan song on the horizon or has the sport passed him by?

Reminder: Memorial Service for Charles “Mask” Lewis Jr. set for today at 11 a.m.

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 10:50 PM PDT

Charles 'Mask' Lewis Jr., founder of the popular multi-million dollar MMA clothing line and television show TapouT, will be honored this morning (Tuesday, April 14) in a memorial service held at the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove, California.

The service "Simply Believe: A Celebration of Charles 'Mask' Lewis Jr." begins at 11am and is open to the public.

If you are planning on attending the services please RSVP to memorial@TapouT.com prior to arriving.

Public access parking is available through Gates 1 and 2 on Chapman Ave and Gate 3 on Lewis Street. Cathedral doors open at 10:00 AM. Cameras and video equipment are not permitted inside the cathedral.

Lewis, 45, was killed on the morning of March 11 when his Ferrari collided with a Porsche driven by Jeffrey David Kirby of Costa Mesa. Kirby has been charged with vehicular manslaughter and is facing a possible sentence of more than 19 years if convicted. He's currently being held on $500,000 bail.

TapouT was launched in 1997, with nothing more than a vision and a handful of merchandise — and enough gas in their van to follow fighters across the state of California to promote and sell TapouT clothing.

Now his empire, along with Dan "Punkass" Caldwell and Timothy "Skyskrape" Katz, includes a reality TV show, a line of bottled water, an impressive stable of mixed-martial-arts fighters and of course its massive clothing line, which went from a few thousand dollars in sales back in the late 90's to over $100 million in 2008.

In lieu of flowers, TapouT asks that you contribute to the Charles “Mask” Lewis, Jr. memorial fund. Information on the fund will be available at TapouT.com the week of April 19th.

Kevin Randleman: ‘There’s a lot of 205-pounders we can all bang’ (Video)

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 08:53 PM PDT

And he even mentions something about a Strikeforce round-robin …

MMA Quick Quote: Nick Diaz may have sent the Tito Ortiz business into Chapter 11

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 08:11 PM PDT

“I actually just got released from my doctor to start doing my weight training, which I’ve been doing the last seven days. I kind of need to hold myself back a bit because I want to go harder. But the doctor says, ‘Take your time, take your time.’ I’m six months out now. I’ve got about another month-and-a-half or two months and I can start wrestling again. I see ‘Babalu’ out here running around flapping his lips. That might be a pay-per-view fight. After the fight they’re going to be saying ‘Baba-who?’ I’m excited to get back in the cage and compete and give all of my fans the best that I do, [although] tonight was kind of a letdown, watching Frank (Shamrock) lose. I wanted that rematch, but the way he looked? Thanks, Nick. I appreciate it. It’s like watching money go out the window.”

– Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz — who is still waiting for his UFC contract to expire — talks about his future at the post-fight press conference for Strikeforce: ‘Shamrock vs. Diaz’ from the HP Pavilion on April 11. "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy," who has a tendency to flirt with any promotion not owned by Zuffa, is currently recovering from back surgery and looking for a place to call home. Will it be Strikeforce? Money talks … does Tito walk?

Check out Ortiz and Sobral jawing ringside this past weekend in the stands at the Strikeforce show after the jump.

UFC 97 videos: Anderson Silva prepares to defend his belt; Thales Leites ready to take it

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 06:00 PM PDT

Check out Thales Leites’ side of the story after the salto.

Gina Carano: Yet another reason to order Strikeforce on Showtime (Pic)

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 03:14 PM PDT

Props: MMATKO

We’re not worthy…

UFC 97 weigh-in event details and information for ‘Redemption’

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 12:58 PM PDT

The official weigh-in event for UFC 97: "Redemption" is set to take place from the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, on Friday, April 17.

It’s currently scheduled to air LIVE on UFC.com via streaming video. The first fighter is expected to tip the scale at 6 pm local time.

As usual, MMAmania.com will provide the latest coverage of the UFC 97 weigh-ins, as well as provide a detailed recap of the festivities as soon as they conclude.

Here's the complete line up:

Main event:

UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva (23-4) vs. Thales Leites (14-1)

Main card (Televised):

205 lbs.: Chuck Liddell (21-6) vs. Mauricio Rua (17-3)
205 lbs.: Brian Stann (6-1) vs. Krzysztof Soszynski (16-8-1)
265 lbs.: Cheick Kongo (13-4-1) vs. Antoni Hardonk (8–4)
205 lbs.: Luis Cane (9-1) vs. Steve Cantwell (7-1)

Under card (May not be broadcast):

205 lbs.: Eliot Marshall (6-1) vs. Vinny Magalhaes (6-4)
185 lbs.: Denis Kang (31-11-1) vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokum (20-9)
185 lbs.: Jason MacDonald (21-11) vs. Nate Quarry (10-3)
185 lbs.: David Loiseau (18-8) vs. Ed Herman (14-7)
155 lbs.: Mark Bocek (6-2) vs. David Bielkheden (13-6)
170 lbs.: Ryo Chonan (16-8) vs. TJ Grant (13-2)
155 lbs.: Matt Wiman (10-4) vs. Sam Stout (13-5-1)

For those in Montreal this weekend remember that the weigh-ins are FREE to attend and open to the public. Doors to the weigh-in will open at 3 pm local time for an autograph session featuring Jonathan Goulet, Nate Diaz, Jon Jones and Alan Belcher.

In addition, UFC Fight Club members will be able to attend an exclusive Q&A session with current UFC welterweight champion Georges “Rush” St. Pierre beginning at 4 pm.

MMAmania.com will provide LIVE round-by-round, blow-by-blow coverage of the LIVE main card action on fight night (Saturday, April 18), which is slated to air at 10 pm ET on pay-per-view from the the Bell Centre in Montreal.

The latest quick updates of the live action will begin to flow earlier than that around 8 pm ET.

It's going to be a good night of fights so don't miss it. And remember to check us out for all the pre, during and post-fight UFC 97 coverage you can handle.

For our complete UFC 97 archive click here.

Ed Herman: It’s win or get cut at UFC 97

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 12:30 PM PDT

Props: FightHype.com

Quoteworthy:

“I think this is going to be a really exciting fight. Hopefully it’s Fight of the Night or Ass Whooping of the Night. I’m looking to finish him as fast as I can…I’ve lost two in a row and if I lose another fight, the UFC will probably cut me so I’m trying to keep my job. It’s rough times. It’s a bad economy, so I gotta keep my damn job so I can keep living. I respect Loiseau, but on the 18th, I’m going in there to beat his ass.”

Ed Herman — middleweight finalist on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 3 — talks about his upcoming fight with hometown favorite David Loiseau at UFC 97 from The Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, on April 18. “Short Fuse” is looking to rebound from back-to-back losses and prevent himself from being a victim of a contractual “Spring Cleaning.” That might not be so easy against “The Crow,” who also is fighting to remain on the UFC roster. The former middleweight contender was invited back to the Octagon after putting together a solid 4-2 record outside of the promotion. Loser leaves town? Perhaps not if they can pull off fight of the night. What say you?

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com