Wednesday, September 15, 2010

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com


Chael Sonnen video highlights from Q&A at UFC Fight Night 22 in Texas

Posted: 15 Sep 2010 04:06 AM PDT

UFC Fight Night 22 results, updates and live play-by-play TONIGHT (Sept. 15) for 'Marquardt vs Palhares'

Posted: 15 Sep 2010 01:00 AM PDT

Ufn22res-2_medium

Click the banner above or right here for up-to-the-minute results and blow-by-blow coverage of UFC Fight Night 22: "Marquardt vs. Palhares."

Quick results of the preliminary fights will begin to flow around 6:30 p.m. ET and round-by-round coverage of the main card Spike TV action is set for 8 p.m. ET! 

If you’re going to leave comments and discuss the fights with all the other MMAmania.com readers be sure to do it on the main UFC Fight Night 22 results post and not this one. Comments in this thread are turned off.

Enjoy the show, Maniacs!

UFC 123 poster for 'Rampage vs Machida' on Nov. 20

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 07:32 PM PDT

Ufc123-poster_medium

To check out the latest UFC 123: "Rampage vs Machida" fight card and rumors click here.

UFC 119 video preview for 'Mir vs Cro Cop' on Sept. 25 (Extended)

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 06:28 PM PDT

Chael Sonnen's poem for Anderson Silva ...

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 03:10 PM PDT

Sonnen080310_medium

... is as you'd expect. Direct, poignant and clever.

From today's UFC Fight Night 22 Q & A in Austin, Texas. Enjoy:

"Anderson think it through

There's still a few months before they lock the cage door behind me and you

Last time they raised your hand

But it was plain to see

That I took a lot more out of you than you took out of me

I broke the mirror and I blew away the smoke

It was me who tapped

But it was you who broke"

There really isn't much to add to this. But I think it's safe to say that this masterpiece is the first, and will be the last, piece of poetry to be featured on MMAmania.com.

Georges St. Pierre has a message for 'arrogant' Josh Koscheck: 'Keep disrespecting me, you'll end up like the rest'

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 03:00 PM PDT

2739586_bin_medium

"Josh is very predictable. It [TUF 12] went exactly like i thought it was going to. I can't control how Josh behaves. I just stay myself. He tried to get in my head, which is a good thing for me. Look at all the guys who i fought who was arrogant and disrespectful to me. I beat them all. It's good for my motivation. I hope he keeps it up ... He [Josh] lies a lot. He says he's happy fighting in Montreal, of course he's not. He says I'm fake. There is nothing fake about me. And he says I won't fight him standing. He is the one who is going to try to take me down. He's the one who doesn't know what I'm going to do to him."

A quick look at George's St. Pierre opponents who have tried to get inside of the champ's head to get a leg up so-to-speak reveals that it usually doesn't turn out the way they had hoped. In fact, it turns out far worse. Just ask BJ "Til the death" Penn. Mr. Hardy didn't quite benefit from it either. But that sure isn't stopping Josh Koshceck from going down the same road they did. On today's The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 13 conference call, Georges St. Pierre tried to remind Josh about his past foes who talked a bit too much in the lead up to their fights and ended up failing miserably. It doesn't appear that the self-described bad boy is going to head the warning. Should he?

UFC Fight Night 22 weigh-in results from Austin for 'Marquardt vs Palhares'

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 01:29 PM PDT

Z4dus_medium_medium

The official weigh-in event for UFC Fight Night 22: "Marquardt vs. Palhares" has wrapped up from the Frank Erwin Special Events Center in Austin, Texas.

And almost all that was expected occurred, except for the surprising weigh-in of TUF 8 winner Efrain Escudero. Surprising only to some I should say, as Escudero seemed to know he would tip the scale at 159 lbs.

"Marquardt vs. Palhares" will feature a main event between perennial middleweight contender Nate "The Great" Marquardt and muscular submission master Rousimar "Toquinho" Palhares. Both fighters weighed in at 186 lbs.

TUF alumni and lightweight standouts Ross Pearson and Cole Miller will also hook 'em up in a bout that could push the winner into the 155-pound contender's mix.

UFC Fight Night 22 weigh in results after the jump:

Main event:

185 lbs.: Nate Marquardt (186) vs. Rousimar Palhares (186)

Main card (Televised):

155 lbs.: Efrain Escudero (159) vs. Charles Oliveira (154)
155 lbs.: Jim Miller (155.5) vs. Gleison Tibau (154)
155 lbs.: Cole Miller (156) vs. Ross Pearson (156)

Under card (May not be broadcast):

155 lbs.: Yves Edwards (155) vs. John Gunderson (156)
185 lbs.: Dave Branch (186) vs. Tomasz Drwal (185.5)
185 lbs.: Rich Attonito (185) vs. Rafael Natal (186)
155 lbs.: Jared Hamman (205) vs. Kyle Kingsbury (206)
170 lbs.: Brian Foster (170.5) vs. Forrest Petz (170)
170 lbs.: David Mitchell (170.5) vs. Anthony "TJ" Waldburger (171)

MMAmania.com will provide LIVE blow-by-blow, round-by-round coverage of UFC Fight Night 22 beginning with the Spike TV telecast at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, Sept. 15. In addition, we will deliver up-to-the-minute quick results of all the under card action much earlier on fight night.

Remember that UFC Fight Night 22 serves as the lead-in to the twelfth season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF), featuring coaches and welterweight rivals Georges St. Pierre and Josh Koscheck.

It's going to be a fun night of fights so don't miss it. And remember to check us out for all the pre, during and post-fight UFC Fight Night 22 coverage you can handle.

GSP is not impressed by your performance (Video)

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 12:20 PM PDT

 Who said Georges St. Pierre was boring and lacked personality?

UFC 123: Gerald Harris vs Maiquel Falcao set for November 20 in Detroit

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 12:20 PM PDT

2yk01ok_medium

Middleweights Gerald Harris and promotional newcomer Maiquel Falcao have agreed to meet at UFC 123 from The Palace of Auburn Hills just outside of Detroit, Michigan on November 20.

Tatame.com brought word of the bout yesterday along with the fact that the Chute Boxe-trained Falcao has signed a four-fight deal with the UFC.

"Hurricane" Harris is riding a 10-fight win streak that has seen him take "Knockout of the Night" honors in two out of his last three bouts including the vicious KO slam of Dave Branch, of which the highlight was featured on ESPN's top-ten plays of the week.

Not a bad 2010 so far for Gerald.

Harris' opponent, Maiquel Falcao, comes from the famed Chute Boxe camp and will look to extend his own winning streak to eight.

The 25-3 Brazilian has not been out of the first round in his last nine contests, going 8-1 with all but one of those victories coming via TKO or KO.

UFC 123 is shaping up to be a one of the most stacked cards of the year without the support of a title fight. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson will battle Lyoto Machida while BJ Penn and Matt Hughes will complete their trilogy.

For more on UFC 123, click here.

BJ Penn: 'Dana White offered me a fight I couldn't refuse' (Video)

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 12:15 PM PDT

 Will the trilogy fight with Matt Hughes be enough to motivate "The Prodigy?"

Josh Koscheck: 'MMA would be boring if it were full of fighters like Georges St. Pierre'

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 10:03 AM PDT

Ept_sports_mma_experts-293415905-1247714034_medium

Props: Cagewriter

Quoteworthy:

"If this show [TUF 12] is successful, it's probably not going to be because of Georges St. Pierre's personality. I didn't have to work on it [becoming a heel]. I've always been an ornery little [profane]. I have a knack for getting under people's skin. I want to be an entertainer. I want to be the guy who makes money outside of the cage. If I've got to be the villain to do it, then I'll do that. Life would be boring if you didn't have controversy. This sport would be boring if you had guys who were just like a Georges, who looks like a robot, talks like a robot, and fights like a robot. You need guys out there with personality. There's not many guys who are out there who are willing to do that. I'm willing to do that." 

We would all be lucky to be as "boring" as UFC welterweight kingpin Georges St. Pierre. But apparently, Mr. Koscheck doesn't share that same opinion. In what reads as an application for the job of "UFC's biggest villain," Josh pledges his love for being disliked and says it just comes naturally to him. I'm not so sure that's a good thing. Is "Kos" taking this whole villain persona a bit too seriously? Would he be better off focusing on his training rather than marking his reputation as the resident bad boy? I think I know the answer to these proposed questions, but let's hear your thoughts, Maniacs.

Efrain Escudero's gameplan for UFC Fight Night 22 is to 'demolish' Charles Oliveira (Video)

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 07:49 AM PDT

Easier said than done against 13-0 "do Bronx?"

UFC Quick Quote: Dan Hardy fires back over criticism surrounding 'Wrestle-Gate'

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 07:47 AM PDT

Hardy-lip_medium

"One guy who struggled to keep up with the points I made was UFC middleweight and charisma donor Nate Marquardt, who always seems to have something to say about me, for no other reason than I once competed against one of his friends. Sadly, we can now add 'literacy test' to the types of tests Nate has failed, because he either misread the whole thing or – like writers from AOL and Yahoo did – just read the first paragraph or two and had to stop because reading gives him a headache. Ultimately, people can agree or disagree with what I wrote, but the facts are on my side. The Nick Lentz fight at UFC 118, which was the catalyst for my column, was the only UFC Prelim fight to ever lose TV viewers. That hurt the pay-per-view buy rate, it hurt Andre Winner's career, it hurt lightweight Joe Lauzon – who had an amazing performance immediately after Lentz's effort, which fewer people witnessed because of Lentz – and it hurt the sport as a whole. No one watching that Lentz fight was entertained, no one turned to their buddy and screamed 'Damn! This fight is so awesome! He's holding the hell out of him!' I would never presume to speak for the UFC, but I can't see Lentz getting any more prime time opportunities anytime soon."

Former UFC welterweight number one contender Dan Hardy fires back at critics on his Nottingham blog after his anti-wrestling comments ticked off everyone from Nate Marquardt to Yahoo Sports. "The Outlaw" was vocal about the emerging trend in mixed martial arts that favors wrestlers who can disrupt their opponent's gameplan with frequent takedowns, leading to a decision win without actually engaging and even cites Nik Lentz by name. Is the Brit leading the charge of frustrated fans? Or alienating them with his shoot-from-the-hip approach? What's your take?

Former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal underwent successful knee...

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 07:30 AM PDT

20100912113142_cid_a2b4e0e613bb48bc88f33ce3496b76c1

Former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal underwent successful knee surgery on his anterior cruciate ligament last Friday in Los Angeles and could return in six months.

Props: Sherdog.com (Photo courtesy Ryan Parsons)

UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua on family, Anderson Silva and 2011 return

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 07:25 AM PDT

Tn_620_600_shogun_pf_120910_medium

UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Mauricio Rua is still sidelined from his passion  of fighting due to surgery on his left knee, but "Shogun" took some time to speak with Gazeta do Povo at UDL (Universidade da Luta) about his family, Anderson Silva, and his 2011 return.

“If everything walks well my doctor said that I could start fighting in December. But to get a more comfortable return I prefer to fight in January or February. I wish to give time to time. The UFC is a big partner, they don’t hurry me up, they let me feel comfortable to decide."

Interviewer: Even more now being the champion…

“(Laughs) Actually I got a special care for UFC, Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White. They welcomed me with all the possible comfort in Las Vegas after the surgery. I stayed five days there in rehabilitation. They let me at ease to come back when I wanted. There won’t be interim belt contention”.

Mauricio added that he doesn’t dwell on his next opponent but recognizes there is a tough guy coming and made it clear of his desire to face Randy Couture, who is a MMA legend in his opinion, and  a rematch with Forrest Griffin, which he still considers a top fighter.

On a dream fight versus Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva, Rua – who trained with "The Spider "in the beginning of his career at Chute Boxe – responded:

“Like I already told, Anderson and I were friends a long time ago. I’d fight him for sure but I don’t have this wish. I would fight him for professionalism. I am UFC employee and if this is a fight that they want, then I also want it”.

"Shogun" is the father of a seven-month-old girl Maria Eduarda and since her birth the talented mixed martial artist understands the frequent worries of his parents.

“Maria Eduarda is seven months now and she is another motivation for me. I got one more mouth to feed (laughs). Now I understand why my father and mother were boring in worries with me and they were right. I am 28 and still today my mother feels worried. I’m sure my daughter will worry me while I live. When she starts to date and take the boyfriend at my house I will say: ‘watch my fights and then we talk (laughs)."

The current top-ranked 205-pound athlete believes wrestling is the main martial art to be improved in his game and states he wants to continue fighting for at least another seven years.

“I have to improve so much yet. Muay Thai, jiu-jitsu, chiefly in wrestling. If I guess I’m good I stop to develop my skills. I feel accomplished but I own many dreams to achieve. Certainly I have wood to burn. I think to fight for another seven years at the minimum.”

First stop: Former Light Heavyweight Champion "Suga" Rashad Evans in spring 2011. Who ya' got?

UFC Fight Night 22: Cole Miller 'perplexed' by Ross Pearson's decision to train wrestling (Video)

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 07:09 AM PDT

UFC Undisputed 2011? Not according to Pasta Padre, who brings word that after slow sales for 2010,...

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 06:55 AM PDT

Ufc_undisputed_2010

UFC Undisputed 2011? Not according to Pasta Padre, who brings word that after slow sales for 2010, THQ is holding off on the next UFC video game entry until early 2012.

Did Chad Griggs beat Bobby Lashley? 'That wasn't really the case' claims 'The Dominator'

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 06:54 AM PDT

Lashley_ko_griggs_medium_medium

Props: MMA Fighting

Quoteworthy:

"I'm fighting again [in 2010] for sure...in November at the latest ... I already asked for a [Chad Griggs] rematch, because when you have certain events like I did that sort of hindered me from being able to open up and fight, I've got to go back. I'd hate for them to use that fight to boost somebody's career, saying, 'Okay, he beat Bobby,' because that wasn't really the case. If I didn't have these problems, and I'd been able to go out there and fight, I think it would have been a pretty quick win for me. But I just didn't have anything in me. When I went to the hospital afterward, they said I was really dehydrated. I went to hospital on Thursday before the fight because I wasn't feeling very good. I was just sluggish and not feeling good, so I went to urgent care and got checked out. I thought I was going to be okay. We didn't do any blood work, but they gave me an IV because they said I was a little dehydrated then and when I went in there and fought I didn't have anything in me."

-- Previously undefeated Bobby Lashley whips out the excuse Rolodex following his surprise loss to Chad Griggs at last month's Strikeforce: "Houston" event on Showtime. No one, except perhaps his 15 family members in attendance at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas, gave the "Grave Digger" much of a chance to beat, much less pound out, the former two-time WWE heavyweight champion. Lashley was carted off on a stretcher following the defeat and blames mononucleosis for some of his difficulties. "The Dominator" is also awaiting additional blood test results to make sure he's healthy enough to compete in a potential rematch. Do fans want to see him try and redeem himself in another go-round with Griggs? Or is it time to move on and look towards the future? Lashley vs. Batista? Anyone?

Second UFC Gym set to open this Saturday (Sept. 18) in Rosemead, CA

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 06:20 AM PDT

Ufcgym_medium_medium_medium_medium

Just over a month after Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) opened the doors to its brand new, state-of-the-art fitness gym in Concord, Calif., the world's largest fight promotion already set its sights set on a second facility in Rosemead.

Now the wait is over.

The UFC Gym enterprise, a concept that was formally introduced in early 2009, is expected to grow to as many as 400 gyms across the United States within five years. While members won't necessarily learn how to fight, they will endure similar training opportunities and have access to fighters who drop in for meet and greets, as well as enjoy extended benefits such as priority access to tickets and first-look privileges to news and events.

It's a great way for UFC and MMA fans to get in shape without having to get their butts kicked in the process.

If you're in the Rosemead area and want to be a part of this weekend's festivities, or perhaps just rub elbows with your favorite fighters, UFC president Dana White, Chuck Liddell, Bruce Buffer, B.J. Penn, Chael Sonnen, Vitor Belfort, Jon Fitch, Jon Jones, Gray Maynard, Dominick Cruz, Arianny Celeste and Kenda Perez are all expected to be in attendance.

The complete grand opening schedule, courtesy of OrangeCounty.com, after the jump.

10:00 a.m. GRAND OPENING EXPO Officially Begins

10:15-10:30 a.m. OFFICIAL RIBBON CUTTING featuring Dana White, Chuck Liddell, BJ Penn, Mark Mastrov, Jim Rowley and Rosemead City Officials

11:30 a.m. White Address from Inside the UFC Gym Octagon

12:00 p.m. Chael Sonnen, Gray Maynard and Arianny Autograph Session

12:30 p.m. White and Liddell Kick Off Question and Answer Session Hosted by Bruce Buffer

1:00 – 1:30 p.m. Chael Sonnen and Gray Maynard Q&A

1:00 – 2:00 p.m. Vitor Belfort and Kenda Perez Autograph Session

1:30 – 2:00 p.m. Jon Jones & Jon Fitch Q&A

2:00 – 3:00 p.m. Jon Jones & Jon Fitch Autograph Session

2:00 – 2:30 p.m. Vitor Belfort & Kenda Perez Q&A

2:30 – 3:00 p.m. BJ Penn & Dominick Cruz Q&A

3:00 – 3:30 p.m. Prize Giveaways with Arianny and Bruce Buffer

3:00 – 4:00 p.m. BJ Penn & Dominick Cruz Autograph Session

5:00 – 10:00 p.m. Music – Food & Fun!

The UFC Gym is located at 3672 Rosemead Blvd. in Rosemead, California.

UFC Fight Night 22 open workout video for 'Marquardt vs Palhares'

Posted: 13 Sep 2010 08:29 PM PDT

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com