Monday, April 19, 2010

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com


EA Sports MMA in-game footage featuring Strikeforce 'Nashville' fights (Video)

Posted: 18 Apr 2010 08:56 PM PDT

Rumor has it the post-fight melee is a Gamestop exclusive.

Preliminary CBS ratings for Strikeforce: 'Nashville' averages 2.63 million viewers

Posted: 18 Apr 2010 08:49 PM PDT

Vlcsnap-2010-04-18-10h07m21s255_medium

The preliminary CBS ratings for Strikeforce: "Nashville" are in -- and I don't think anyone from the San Jose fight promotion is going to be breaking out the party hats.

"Saturday Night Fights" averaged 2.63 million viewers for the live network television broadcast and earned an anemic 1.0 rating. To put that number in perspective, Strikeforce was beat by America's Most Wanted and a repeat of Law & Order.

It also fell far short of their CBS debut last November when "Fedor vs. Rogers" drew 3.79 million viewers in the overnight ratings (and later peaked with 5.46 million in the main event).

The final numbers that include the remainder of the Shields vs. Henderson main event as well as the post-fight melee will be available Tuesday.

Here's a snapshot of the quarterly breakdown, courtesy of TV by the Numbers:

9:00 p.m. – Viewers: 2.57 million (#4), A18-49: 0.8/ 3 (#4)
9:30 p.m. – Viewers: 2.55 million (#4), A18-49: 1.0/ 3 (#4)
10:00 p.m. – Viewers: 2.89 million (#3), A18-49: 1.2/ 4 (#2)
10:30 p.m. – Viewers: 2.52 million (#3), A18-49: 1.0/ 3 (#2)

Because the broadcast ran past the 11:00 p.m. cutoff, there is a chance those numbers could improve when the additional ratings are counted. Unfortunately it does not help that the viewership was already in a decline from 10-10:30 p.m. ET time frame.

Stay tuned to MMAmania.com for the final numbers this Tuesday (April 20). In the meantime, you can get yourself up to speed on all the action from last Saturday here and here.

Dan Henderson: 'I don't want to place blame on anything other than my performance'

Posted: 18 Apr 2010 09:22 AM PDT

Dscn1524_medium

"Jake had a great game plan. He covered well on top and stayed there, and I did a very bad job getting up. He deserves all the respect. That's the thing about this sport, you never know until it's all the way over. I knew I hurt him real bad [in round one] but didn't land those next couple of punches to finish him off and he battled back and had a big heart to keep going. I was surprised at myself that I wasn't able to get up and out [of his mount]. I didn't want him on my back. I think that's why he goes to the mount. He doesn't do a whole lot of damage there but he does enough to get guys to roll over. I felt kind of flat on my back -- I don't think I was in danger during the fight but he controlled me real well. [The weight cut] was a little rougher than normal but I don't want to place blame on anything other than my performance."

Longtime mixed martial arts veteran Dan Henderson speaks to the media following his disappointing unanimous decision loss to Strikeforce Middleweight Champion Jake Shields at last night's "Nashville" event at the Bridgestone Arena in Tennessee. "Hendo" came out guns blazing in round one, nearly finishing the grappling guru with a fistic assault that had the crowd on its feet. Shields however, wasn't going away without a fight and battled back with a stifling combination of takedowns and top control. Jake Shields retains his 185-pound title and Henderson goes home empty handed. Anyone want to take a guess at who the former PRIDE and UFC star fights next? A return to light heavyweight to face Gegard Mousasi? Anyone?

The champs are here. "King Mo" Lawal and Gilbert Melendez show off their belts following...

Posted: 18 Apr 2010 08:03 AM PDT

Dscn1533

The champs are here. "King Mo" Lawal and Gilbert Melendez show off their belts following Strikeforce: "Nashville."

'My spirit is not broken': Shinya Aoki talks Strikeforce CBS debut

Posted: 18 Apr 2010 07:58 AM PDT

Dscn1500_medium

DREAM lightweight champion and the official delegate of Japanese mixed martial arts to Strikeforce, Shinya Aoki, struggled to unleash his usual grappling magic during his five-round "Nashville" title affair against the promotion's champion, Gilbert Melendez.

The buildup of pre-fight pressure was immense for "Tobikan Judan," as he assumed the role of representing not only DREAM but the entire Japanese MMA.

The outcome was a disaster.

Melendez repeatedly shrugged off Aoki's takedown attempts and even displayed the audacity to jump into the guard of the dangerous jiu-jitsu master en route to an unanimous decision victory -- one that may have cemented himself as one of the world's top lightweight fighters.

Aoki on the other hand must now return to Japan and atone for his loss. But don't expect him to spend much time lamenting his loss, as he is already planning to rebuild his name value by returning home.

From the Tobikan Judan:

"It was a decisive defeat. I would like to state a word of appreciation for Mr. Scott Coker and DREAM staff who have worked hard to make this fight a reality. I would like to congratulate Gilbert Melendez for defending his title in our fight tonight. Though some may perceive this as a loss for Japanese MMA, my spirit is not broken and I plan on going back to Japan and putting forth prodigious effort so that I will be able to challenge for the title once again. The difference between fighting in the cage and the ring was negligible, and Melendez was just plain good. Fighting in the cage for the first time, I felt comfortable in the new setting and had a blast. I am just grateful that I got to step into the cage. Right now, I am in no position of asking for a (DREAM) rematch and I think it's best that I strive to raise the value of 'Shinya Aoki' so that Melendez can say, 'I do not mind fighting Aoki once again' on his accord. As things stand right now, I would cringe if I said, 'I want to fight him again.'"

Whatever the cause of Aoki's defeat (i.e. fighting in the US and cage for the first time, no grappling pants) the losing streak continues for DREAM fighters in the semi-official, "Strikeforce vs. DREAM" showdown.

And DREAM's prospect certainly looks grim ahead of the Nick Diaz vs. Hayato "Mach" Sakurai at DREAM 14.

Furthermore, Aoki's defeat reinforces the hardship Japanese fighters have suffered when crossing over to North American MMA.

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com