Tuesday, August 3, 2010

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com


Programming reminder: 'Countdown to UFC 117' debuts tonight (Aug. 2) on Spike TV

Posted: 02 Aug 2010 07:25 PM PDT

117-temp_medium

It's already time to switch gears.

"Countdown" to UFC 117: "Silva vs. Sonnen" will debut tonight (Monday, Aug. 2) at 11 p.m. ET on Spike TV to promote the upcoming pay-per-view (PPV) event scheduled for the Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif., on Saturday, Aug. 7.

The network special will provide a glimpse into the preparation and training camps of the fighters set to headline the show, featuring current UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva and division number one contender Chael Sonnen.

Replays of "Countdown to UFC 117" will air at the following times:

  • Tuesday, Aug. 3 at 1 a.m. ET (Monday night into Tuesday morning on MTV tr3s)
  • Wednesday, Aug. 4 at 8 p.m. ET (Spike TV)
  • Thursday, Aug. 5 at Midnight ET (Versus)

Remember that MMAmania.com will provide LIVE blow-by-blow, round-by-round coverage of UFC 117, beginning with the PPV telecast at 10 p.m. ET. In addition, we will deliver up-to-the-minute quick results of all the under card action much earlier on fight night.

To get up to speed on the "Silva vs. Sonnen" event be sure to check out the complete UFC 117 archive by clicking here.

UFC on Versus 2 video: Jake Ellenberger willing to rematch John Howard, prefers a top 10 opponent

Posted: 02 Aug 2010 05:49 PM PDT

Roy Nelson: Junior dos Santos is 'hands down' the best heavyweight in the UFC

Posted: 02 Aug 2010 05:47 PM PDT

Roy_nelson_medium

Props: Las Vegas Sun

Quoteworthy:

"If I could pick my way to the top, this is one of the fastest ways to do it. I wanted to fight for the belt my very first fight, so this is OK with me.... Hands down, I think he's the best guy in the UFC right now. This is my title fight, because I look at it as I think this guy can beat the guy who has the belt. I think Junior is the best.... If I didn't think I was the best in the world, I'd be fighting in another organization. I'm always the guy who wants to challenge myself."

Brock who? The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 10 winner, Roy Nelson, feels his fight against Junior dos Santos at UFC 117: "Silva vs. Sonnen" is for the real heavyweight title. "Big Country" gushes over his Brazilian counter part, saying that he's the future of the division. And if he can defeat dos Santos the Saturday night, that a real championship bout against Lesnar would seemingly be less of a challenge. Is Nelson onto something here? Perhaps more important, does the Country Club-trained, Burger King-eating unabashed pot-bellied brawler have a legitimate shot at handing dos Santos his first-ever UFC loss?

Jon Jones talks UFC on Versus 2 victory on ESPN's SportsCenter (Video)

Posted: 02 Aug 2010 11:30 AM PDT

UFC 119: Ryan Bader sees advantage over 'Lil Nog' in wrestling, experience with Rodrigo Nogueira

Posted: 02 Aug 2010 10:45 AM PDT

Bader_medium

Props: SB Nation

Quoteworthy:

"I think my wrestling and my ability to scramble. Lil' Nog had some trouble with Jason Brilz primarily because he put a scramble into every position he had. Nogueira would be going for a half guard sweep and Brilz would use his wrestling to create a better position. Nogueira is a very well rounded fighter, but I think the main thing he lacks is a good wrestling base. I think I have him there with my ability to create scrambles. There isn't too much of a game plan for this fight, just go where it goes. I have some power in my hands so I might be able to take him out that way, or get him on his back, be careful posturing up. I'm at more of an advantage with my wrestling than Forrest [Griffin] certainly would have been... I wouldn't say an edge, but it definitely gives me an insight into how good they actually are [training with Rodrigo Nogueira on TUF 8]. ‘Big Nog' would tell me to try to work out of his guard or stop a sweep, and I would have a hard time doing it. If anything, it makes me respect his skills even more. I'm not overlooking anything in this fight. It just makes me work harder knowing what they can do."

The co-main event at UFC 119 on September 25 pits rising light heavyweight top contender Ryan Bader against MMA veteran Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in an intriguing 205-pound match up. "Darth" detailed where he feels he holds an advantage over "Lil Nog," primarily in the wrestling aspect of the game. After last night's incredible performance by Jon Jones left the MMA world wondering who's next for "Bones," the winner of this fight was quickly thrown into the pot. So, who do we see taking this bout? Will Bader continue his ascension up the light heavyweight ranks or will Nogueira stop him in his tracks?

UFC Quick Quote: Jon Jones would move to heavyweight to beat James Toney up

Posted: 02 Aug 2010 09:11 AM PDT

Box_sd_jonesj1_576_medium

"It's funny. Someone asked me about the way I feel about James Toney and I just said that I think he's naive and ignorant by thinking he can stop Randy Couture's wrestling with a hand combination, I guess he took offense to that. He said he would slap me if he ever saw me at a UFC event. I'll let that guy prove his own ignorance. Obviously slapping me he could face some assault and battery charges. How about this, get by Randy Couture first and then call me out, and we can settle it inside the Octagon. I would move up to heavyweight to beat him up."

Jon Jones spoke to The Daily Line on Versus about his growing beef with James Toney after his dominating first round victory over Vladimir Matyushenko at UFC on Versus 2. "Bones" is referring to this quote from "Lights Out" where Toney called him "Homo" and said he would slap Jones if he ever saw him. Jon seems to be pretty serious about putting a quick stop to the filth that has been pouring out of Toney's mouth for the last couple months. If in some miraculous fashion James manages to knock out Randy Couture later this month, who's interested in Jon Jones stepping up to heavyweight and stepping into the Octagon to face James Toney? 

UFC on Versus 2 FightMetric report for Yushin Okami vs Mark Munoz

Posted: 02 Aug 2010 08:06 AM PDT

Okami_munoz_metric_medium

A quick look at the overall striking results through three rounds of action between Yushin Okami and Mark Munoz courtesy of FightMetric makes you wonder how Cecil Peoples scored the fight for Munoz, or how he still has a job for that matter.

Did Munoz accomplish more on the ground? Find out after the jump.

Grappling_metric_okami_muno_medium

Though "The Filipino Wrecking Machine" was clearly intent on taking Okami down, the numbers show he failed pretty miserably completing only one out of fifteen takedown attempts.

Decmetric_okami_munoz_medium

Despite the fairly lopsided numbers, FightMetric scored the fight closely, giving "Thunder" the 29-28 decision.

How did you score the fight?

For a complete recap of UFC on Versus 2 coverage, click here.

Takanori Gomi still 'can't believe' knockout of Tyson Griffin at UFC on Versus 2 (Video)

Posted: 02 Aug 2010 05:48 AM PDT

Hear more from the "Fireball Kid" after the jump:

 

Pic of John Howard's left eye after going nearly three full rounds with Jake Ellenberger at UFC on...

Posted: 02 Aug 2010 05:47 AM PDT

Jon_howard_eye

Pic of John Howard's left eye after going nearly three full rounds with Jake Ellenberger at UFC on Versus 2. The fight was stopped in the final frame by the ringside physician because of the damage.

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com