Monday, June 14, 2010

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com


Chael Sonnen: 'Anderson Silva is the champion, but I'm the best' (UFC 117 video)

Posted: 14 Jun 2010 05:17 AM PDT

UFC 116: "Lesnar vs. Carwin" micro site goes live for "The biggest fight in UFC history." Are you...

Posted: 14 Jun 2010 04:31 AM PDT

116-micro

UFC 116: "Lesnar vs. Carwin" micro site goes live for "The biggest fight in UFC history." Are you ready? See more here.

UFC Quick Quote: No quit in Rich Franklin against Chuck Liddell ... even with broken arm

Posted: 13 Jun 2010 03:10 PM PDT

Franklin_liddell_ufc115_medium

"I was just happy the fight was over. I knew my arm was broken in the fight. I definitely wasn't going to quit -- I've broken bones before and continued fighting. But, there was a part of me wondering how I was going to, what strategy I was going to use, to win the fight with a broken left arm in the second and third rounds.... I would say maybe two minutes in [to the fight] is when that kick came. I was having trouble when I was down on the ground and trying to get up, posting and all that stuff as well. Chuck caught with me with a couple of punches and I got a little stupid standing in front of him. But it looked like he was getting himself tired, so I was kind of just letting him make himself tired, putting a lot of energy into shots that weren't landing.... There was nothing that really rocked me -- just a few that kind of put me back. I was fine. He follows up big when he thinks he has you hurt. I just tried to stay tight and hit him with a lead hook that caught him on the chin.... I don't want to be known as the guy who put him out of the sport or whatever. I don't like the thought of that."

-- Former middleweight champion Rich Franklin talks about his thought process after sustaining a broken left forearm early in his main event fight against Chuck Liddell at UFC 115 last night (June 12). "Ace" blocked a high kick and soon began to hear the bones "clicking," meaning that something was more than likely terribly wrong. Despite the injury, Franklin kept battling and, as the seconds ticked away to close round one, he landed a short right that put the "Iceman" clean out. Fortunately, Franklin -- who has endured broken hands, noses and other bones in previous fights -- didn't have to worry about how he would proceed if things went longer. Impressed or no?

Martin Kampmann vows to improve on UFC 115 win over Paulo Thiago

Posted: 13 Jun 2010 10:35 AM PDT

Kampmann_thiago_ufc115_medium

Props: MMA Weekly

Quoteworthy:

"Paulo's real tough. Every time I tried to put some moves on him on the ground he ended up standing up. Every time I tried to punch him he'd scramble, pull guard, go for kimuras. I'm sorry I didn't work more ground and pound, but he's real technical on the ground. If I opened up just a little bit he was trying to catch me in stuff. I could be as active on the ground as I wanted to... I wanted to be a little bit more hesitant with my striking. Usually I have a habit of just going straight forward and swinging. It makes some great fights for the fans. That's why I get a lot of support and I appreciate it. I would have liked to have opened up a little bit more. Sometimes I was too hesitant, but next time I'm going to fire more."

One of, if not the biggest winner at UFC 115, Martin Kampmann, is surprisingly critical of his outstanding performance against most everybody's favorite coming into the match up, Paulo Thiago. Not many folks, aside from our very own Jesse Holland, figured "The Hitman" would take the contest so easily. It was quite an impressive showing from Martin, one that will undoubtedly catapult him into some top tier welterweight bouts in the very near future. So, what's next for "The Dangerous Dane?" Does he have what it takes to earn an eventual title shot? Let's hear some thoughts.

Pat Barry sits in a wheelchair after breaking a hand and foot in his UFC 115 submission loss to...

Posted: 13 Jun 2010 10:35 AM PDT

Pat_barry_wheelchair

Pat Barry sits in a wheelchair after breaking a hand and foot in his UFC 115 submission loss to Mirko Cro Cop (Pic). "HD" later explained that he "panicked" after not being able to use his right hand after sustaining the injury in the first round, which was clearly very effective up until that point. Perhaps the Croatian will autograph his casts ... both of them.

Evan Dunham 'surprised' with split decision after dominant performance over Tyson Griffin at UFC 115 (Video)

Posted: 13 Jun 2010 08:18 AM PDT

Dana White has no problem with stoppage in Carlos Condit-Rory MacDonald UFC 115 fight

Posted: 13 Jun 2010 08:14 AM PDT

Condit_macdonald_ufc-115_medium

Props: UFC 115 post-fight press conference

Quoteworthy:

"I'm the first one to blast a referee or judge for making bad calls, but in my opinion, referees aren't looking at the time -- they couldn't give a shit what time it is or how much time is left. They're there to protect the fighters. Rory's a young guy, he's got a lot of fights ahead of him and he took a lot of damage in that last round. I didn't have any problem with the stoppage. It's just unfortunate when a fight stops with seconds left, you know? It's just one of those things, but you won't hear me bitching about that one."

UFC President Dana White shares his two cents on the questionable stoppage in the fight between Carlos Condit and Rory MacDonald at UFC 115 from the GM Place in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, on June 12. It came with just seven seconds remaining in the 15-minute welterweight bout after the previously undefeated Canadian prodigy turned in a very solid first two rounds. In fact, Condit admitted afterward that he felt like he was behind on the scorecards and needed to take out MacDonald to ensure victory. Mission accomplished. For what it's worth, MacDonald also admitted that he was not bitter about the referee's decision to stop the fight when he did. What say you ... did the referee do MacDonald a favor after watching him get abused for basically the entire final round or would you have liked to have heard what the judges sitting ringside had to say instead?

Matt Wiman thinks he would have eventually choked out Mac Danzig at UFC 115 ...

Posted: 13 Jun 2010 07:21 AM PDT

Danzig_wiman_choke_medium

... even though referee Yves LaVigne made a big boo-boo and stopped it too early:

"No hard feelings to Yves LaVigne, but it was just one of those things where it turned out being a bad situation for everybody. When a fighter rolls over like that, and stops moving ... I talked to Mac and he said he was just going to coast and relax and chill out. In my mind, he was going out. I had so much energy, it was the first round, I could have squeezed forever. I just kept adjusting and adjusting. It's just unfortunate we can't be put back in that same precarious position. It's unfortunate for everybody. I wanted the vindication with the win.... I think it would have went the same way without the controversy if it would have just kept going. It's sad to see. I indicated to the ref that I thought he was out because I felt him stop fighting the choke. It was like a kid waiting for Christmas -- I couldn't wait to get off Mac and celebrate. I was almost going to start crying because I was so happy. And then I look up at the screen and see him contesting it.... So then I thought maybe it was a little premature.... It's just a weird deal, you know?"

A disappointed, and admittedly overzealous, Matt Wiman talks about what might have been if he was able to hang onto a tight guillotine choke that he put on Mac Danzig in their lightweight fight last night at UFC 115. "Handsome" had The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 6 winner all wrapped up and in deep trouble with lots of time remaining in the first round. Perhaps aware of this, Danzig positioned himself to try and ride out the storm, but in doing so, apparently gave Wiman and the referee the indication that he was on his way to La-La-Land. Instant replay, as well as Danzig's immediate reaction once the action was halted, proved otherwise. Unfortunately, once the call was made to stop the fight, there was no going back. Should an instant rematch be booked or should both fighters be allowed to move on with their careers, knowing that it may "have went the same way" even if it wasn't stopped when it was?

UFC Quick Quote: You're wrong if you think Mirko Cro Cop is old

Posted: 13 Jun 2010 06:42 AM PDT

Cro_cop_barry_medium

"I wanted to prove to everyone that I'm not old and they are wrong. My preparation for this fight was the hardest it has been my entire life. I want the grand prix in 2006 with Pride, but tonight, my condition was better.... I was really dedicated.... I never felt so comfortable [inside the cage] in my career.... Pat caught me twice -- the punches were good ... especially the second one. It was good, but I was able to stand up right away. And I just felt a pain in my eye -- that's all I felt. I wasn't dizzy, just had a little double vision for about 10 seconds. Later on I was okay. I was just doing my thing, trying to involve him in the clinch to get him tired, take him down and to finish him.... I just felt good this time to tell you the truth."

-- Mirko Cro Cop was on a mission to prove to everyone, including himself, that he still has what it takes to compete at the highest level in the sport when he took on Pat Barry in the UFC 115: "Liddell vs. Franklin" co main event. The 35-year-old has been underwhelming since he joined the promotion several years ago, leading most to believe that his best days were behind him. Perhaps that's still true, but with a third round submission (rear naked choke) over "Get Hype" -- after surviving two early scares in the first round -- Cro Cop has once again breathed new life into his mixed martial arts career. Can he keep the momentum rolling against bigger and badder competition or will he once again fail to live up to the lofty expectations?

Chuck Liddell career is over after knockout loss at UFC 115 ... guaranteed (Video)

Posted: 13 Jun 2010 05:41 AM PDT

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com