Monday, June 28, 2010

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com


Fedor video: 'This loss was necessary for me, I never wanted to be a God'

Posted: 27 Jun 2010 01:34 PM PDT

Should the referee have stopped the Cyborg Santos-Jan Finney fight sooner?

Posted: 27 Jun 2010 01:33 PM PDT

Cyborg_vs_finney_medium
The reigning 145-pound Strikeforce female champion thinks so:

"I was happy to defend my belt in San Jose because I won it here. I feel lucky to have put on a good fight and take it home with me. I was prepared to fight five rounds. I'm impressed with how well [Jan Finney] was able to handle the onslaught. I was just going to keep working until the finish, or until I got finished. I feel that the fight should have been stopped earlier."

Finney was devoured whole by a ruthless "Cyborg" last night, scoring four knockdowns in the first round alone. Finney, to her credit, was able to hang on and run out the clock in a defensive strategy that could be referred to as "not dying." Was Referee Kim Winslow's decision to let it continue into the second stanza a reckless one? (To read the entire event recap click here.)

MMA Quick Quote: Cung Le liver kick 'all she wrote' for Scott Smith

Posted: 27 Jun 2010 12:59 PM PDT

Le_smith_medium

"I knew he was going to come out [quickly]. I knew he was going to come hard, close the distance so I couldn't kick. But he forgot that I've got [fists]! I set up the [spinning back kick] with the hands. I had a great training camp, I learned to sit on my punches and set everything up. I hit him and I knew he was going to back up, thinking I was going to throw another combo. But I stuck that kick in. It was a great lead shot and got him right in the liver. That's all she wrote!"

-- A jubilant Cung Le talks about his finish of the super tough and gritty Scott Smith in the second round of their middleweight rematch at Strikeforce: "Fedor vs Werdum." Le set it up with a beautiful highlight-reel spinning back kick, which apparently was part of the gameplan heading into the showdown. It caught Smith right between his "Hands of Steel" and led to the finish, leaving no room for last minute heroics. Is their any interest in a rubber match? Or, should Strikeforce just enter both men into the 185-pound tournament that is tentatively planned for later this year and see what happens?

Fedor: 'Everybody loses. I’m just a human being'

Posted: 27 Jun 2010 08:52 AM PDT

11_fedor_vs_werdum_p1y1350_medium

Props: Strikeforce.com

Quoteworthy:

"The one who doesn’t fall never stands up, It happened that people made me an idol. But everybody loses. I’m just a human being. And if it’s God’s will next fight, I’ll win.... At the very beginning of the round, I hit him and I wanted to finish as soon as possible, at that moment, I made a mistake. I would like to have a rematch with Fabricio if he was to agree. I’d love to do that.... There were several moments when I could escape, but I relied on myself too much and that’s why I paid for it. At the very moment when I had to escape, I stopped, and that moment was used for Fabricio to lock it on. I’m really very sorry and it’s a pity that I disappointed people who believe in me and trusted in me, but everything in this life happens for some reason. If God decided this is what should happen, then it’s the best thing for this very time."

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, Fedor Emelianenko is gracious in defeat. "The Last Emperor" was dethroned last night with a tight Fabricio Werdum triangle choke, demonstrating once and for all that the Russian cyborg is indeed mortal. Werdum -- who was cut from the UFC after going 2-2 against decent competition -- somehow managed to defeat the greatest heavyweight of all time. Perhaps the confidence that comes along with ruling his peers for so long finally caught up with Emelianenko -- he admitted that he did feel like he could escape at one point, but continued to press the action. So where does Fedor go from here? With just one fight left on his current deal with Strikeforce, it would appear that he'd have to take on Alistair Overeem or rematch Werdum. However, Overeem and Werdum will likely collide first. Does Fedor get the winner (or loser) or does the promotion go in a different direction and match him up with someone else? Let's hear your opinions, Maniacs.

Poll
Who should Fedor's next opponent be? (He has one fight left on Strikeforce contract)

  3560 votes | Results

Fabricio Werdum: Beating Fedor Emelianenko 'is the best thing in world' (Video)

Posted: 27 Jun 2010 06:57 AM PDT

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com