Monday, May 31, 2010

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com

UFC blog for latest news, videos, results, betting odds, fighter interviews and MMA rumors - UFCmania.com


Hustle and 'Flo': MMAmania.com interview exclusive with Kenny 'KenFlo (TV)' Florian

Posted: 30 May 2010 07:23 PM PDT

Kenny-florian_medium

It can only be viewed as a positive. Being so busy and wearing so many hats that you rarely get the time to sit back and appreciate the good fortunes that life has granted you, (cue Ferris Bueller).

That's exactly where UFC lightweight top contender Kenny Florian finds himself today. Aside from being one of the world's best lightweights in the sport, which is a feat that for most people would take up a majority of their time to accomplish, Florian can also be seen on ESPN 2 and ESPN.com as the co-host alongside Jon Anik for MMA Live. 

And if that wasn't enough to make you impressed, KenFlo has added yet another feat to his already stellar resume... product spokesperson. More specifically, FLO TV spokesperson, where he joins Will.I.Am, Jim Nantz, and Landon Donavon as endorsers of the revolutionary mobile TV device.

Kenny was kind enough to take time to talk with MMAmania.com while balancing his tremendously busy schedule, courtesy of FLO TV. We touched on his newfound role as a mainstream product endorser, MMA Live and ESPN, his fight against Gray Maynard, and UFC 118 as a whole.

Have a read:

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): Thanks for taking time to speak with us today Kenny. Talk about the main reason we're here, FLO TV. What exactly is it for those people who aren't yet aware of the product.

Kenny Florian: It's basically a mobile TV where you can watch all of your favorite channels wherever you go. It's great for someone like me because I'm always on the road. And it's all touch screen too, it's pretty cool.

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): You can watch the UFC on it too, correct?

Kenny Florian: Yeah, you can order the pay-per-view events right to the FLO TV. It's pretty remarkable.

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): How did you come about to be a spokesperson for FLO TV? Did they approach you, or did you and your manager approach them?

Kenny Florian: They actually approached me. You, know, it's tough to get more of the mainstream products and sponsors to come over to MMA and the UFC, so it's an honor for me to be a part of it.

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): Obviously your nickname lends well to the product, but what are some other reasons you got involved with FLO TV?

Kenny Florian: Believe it or not, I'm really not sure if my name had anything to do with it. I think the people at FLO TV just knew that I could help them reach the type of people they want to market their product to, with my fighting career, my ESPN presence, etc. I guess they just thought I'd be a good spokesperson for them. Hopefully they still do. [Laughs]

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): So when can we except to see you alongside Will.I.Am and Jim Nantz in one of those commercials?

Kenny Florian: [Laughs]. I'm not sure man, I'm not sure. That would definitely be cool, wouldn't it?

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): Let's talk about MMA Live for a minute. Obviously having the show on ESPN 2 is great for the growth of the sport. What do you see as the ceiling for the show? What are the goals of the show for you, Jon Anik, and the people over at ESPN?

Kenny Florian: The thing is, is that I think there's enough MMA material out there where we could do a show every day. I hope it comes to that point eventually. But for right now, we just gotta keep putting out a quality product and see where it goes form there. I know that internally they've [executives at ESPN] been very happy with the show, but what it comes down to is having the fans support. It's not a certain thing that we stay on ESPN 2. So we have to prove to the people at ESPN that this is indeed a legitimate sport and that our show is something that fans want to see.

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): Back to how you became involved in such a product. Were you handpicked to co-host the show from the beginning? How did that process unfold?

Kenny Florian: They actually contacted me and brought me out to Bristol, Connecticut for an interview and told me about the show and what it would entail. And to be honest, I was a little disappointed in the beginning when they told me that part of the job would involve me having to criticize fighters, as well as all the travel that's necessary. Being an active fighter, those were tough stipulations to accept. But I've absolutely grown to really like what I do now. It was one of those opportunities that I knew I couldn't pass up. I just couldn't turn it down.

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): Alright, let's get to your primary occupation, fighting. Talk about your transition from training with Mark DellaGrotte for so many years to now training with Firas Zahabi and the Tristar team. You've looked great in your last couple bouts, but how exactly have you benefited from the move?

Kenny Florian: I think it has just given me a different style and a different approach. And I think it has inspired a lot of other coaches and trainers to continue to develop with the sport to meet the needs of fighters who seek top-level training. The quality of training partners I have now is just amazing. I train with some of the best fighters in the sport regularly. I've stepped up my game in all aspects. And now, I just feel much more confident to compete against the elite guys in the sport.

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): Before we get to your fight with Gray Maynard and the UFC 118 card as a whole, let me get your thoughts on Diego Sanchez's return to the welterweight division. You guys shared some back and forth talk for a while there. Are you upset that you won't have the opportunity to settle the score with him?

Kenny Florian: No, you know, I really don't go chasing fights. Not one fight is going to define me. I just want to fight the best guys. And frankly, I think even at 155 there's better fighters out there than Diego. I think Takanori Gomi is better, and I think Gray Maynard is much better. If he comes back down to lightweight, then fine. But if not, it's no big deal.

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): Alright, to UFC 118. That's a big night for the UFC lightweight divison. Break down for me if you would the rematch between Frankie Edgar and B.J. Penn. How do you see it playing out?

Kenny Florian: It's gonna be interesting. They're both gonna have to make some adjustments. Frankie came in with the perfect game plan to beat B.J. with the skill set that he has. But now it's gonna be even more difficult to replicate that. I think B.J. will come in with the advantage now knowing what Frankie is all about. And, really, their first fight was super close, it could have gone either way. I think the advantage is definitely with B.J. But if Frankie can go in there and get it done again, there's no doubt about it, he's the best lightweight on the planet.

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): Has the UFC told you that the winner of your fight with Gray will get the next title shot?

Kenny Florian: No, I haven't heard anything about that from the UFC. It's kinda in the back of my mind, but what I'm really thinking about is just beating Gray. We've heard before where guys are said to have the next title shot, but then something happens and things change. So I'm just completely focused on beating Gray Maynard.

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): Ok, on to Mr. Maynard. You've recently said that he is a better version of Sean Sherk. Obviously you lost to Sherk, but that was years ago and you're a completely different fighter now. Do you feel like you're better suited now to deal with Maynard's size and wrestling?

Kenny Florian: Absolutely. I'm much more capable to fight a wrestler the caliber and the size of Gray Maynard. I train with a lot of great wrestlers now. Back then [prior to his fight against Sherk at UFC 64], I didn't train much wrestling at all. The last couple fights I've really focused on developing my wrestling. Now, having the access to train with the guys at the Montreal Wrestling Club and to train with guys like Georges St. Pierre, Gray is going to quickly find out that I'm not the same guy I was back then. I'll tell you this, if he does get me down, he's gonna have to work his ass off to get it. That's for sure.

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): This of course is just a three round fight. Will you feel a sense of urgency to outstrike Gray early and take the fight to him for fear that he could secure a couple takedowns, maintain position, and win on points?

Kenny Florian: Yeah, I mean that's kinda the way I think he's gonna have to fight. And this is no offense to Gray, but he's gonna have to play his typical, boring, Gray Maynard fight. You know, take the guy down and just stay there. Just lay and pray. I think that is his only hope to win the fight. He's good everywhere, but I think that in order to win the fight, he knows that's what he's gonna have to do. But however he goes about fighting me, it's not gonna be easy.

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): Without going into to much detail about your strategy for the fight, what will you be looking to accomplish? Obviously aside from winning, are there certain things you'll be looking to get done against Gray?

Kenny Florian: I don't really go into a fight with a certain game plan because I think you just set yourself up for failure that way. I really just focus on stopping what he wants to do, I try to execute what I want to do based off that. And I think going in there and having fun is critical. If I go in there and have fun, a great performance will come with it.

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): How do you feel about fighting in your hometown of Boston? You fought pretty close to Boston back at UFC 101 in Philadelphia, but UFC 118 is sure to be a different animal.

Kenny Florian: I'm excited more than anything else for my friends and family that will get to see me fight live. I get a lot of questions about when am I gonna fight in Boston and when is the UFC coming here. Well, it's finally here. August 28, all my friends and family will get to see me do what I do. It's gonna be a loud crowd for sure, but in the end, it's still just the same cage, and I realize that.

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): What's your opinion on the Randy Couture vs. James Toney fight? Are you for or against bringing someone into the UFC who has absolutely zero experience in the sport and in a lot of ways makes a mockery of MMA?

Kenny Florian: I think Toney needs money, honestly. He needs to make himself larger and bigger than he really is, figuratively, not literally [Laughs]. All that talking he's been doing, he's finally gonna get a chance to show people what he's all about. And I think he's really gonna struggle. The thing about MMA and combat sports, is that the truth always comes out. I think he's really gonnna have a tough time. I'd be surprised if he lasts more than three minutes against Randy.

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): Well, you just alluded to how you think the fight will play out and even Dana White has recently said he expects Toney to lose. What percent of a chance do you give Toney in stopping Couture's takedowns and avoiding a vicious beating? More than 10 percent?

Kenny Florian: I'd say it's definitely less than 10 percent. But let's be honest, we have to talk about Toney's punching ability with those four-ounce gloves. If you get caught with one of his shots, you'll be asleep with broken bones in your face, no doubt about it. Toney can crack. He's a high-level boxer, which is something that we really haven't seen yet in MMA, that's dangerous. But for him in this sport, your stand up is only as good as your ability to stay on your feet. And knowing that, I think he'll be gun-shy with his hands trying to avoid the takedown, and that's exactly what will happen, he'll get taken down. I'd say that if he doesn't land one of his punches on Randy in the first 10-15 seconds, he's gonna be in serious trouble.

James Kimball (MMAmania.com): Ok, Kenny, thanks so much for your time. Go ahead and plug away. Where can people go to find more information on FLO TV and to pick one up? And how can fans get in touch with you?

Kenny Florian: People can go to www.flotv.com. You can go to my website as well, www.kennyflorian.com. You can pick up a FLO TV at most every electronic store like Best Buy. Fans of course can get in touch with me on Twitter at Kenny_Florian. Thank you for your time and thanks to all the fans for their support.

Holy (expletive)! Dana White 'blown away' by Mike Russow's KO comeback over Todd Duffee

Posted: 30 May 2010 10:14 AM PDT

Russow-ko_medium

Props: AOL Fanhouse

Quoteworthy:

"I was like 'Holy Shit!' I said the same thing everybody else said. I was blown away. ([Mike Russow] was getting picked apart but what a tough guy though, took some big, big shots. He stayed in there, kept his composure and stayed in this fight getting peppered, hammered and drilled with big shots and then ended up pulling off one of his own. It says a lot about him as a fighter and as a human being."

UFC President Dana White shares his reaction to the stunning, come-from-behind win for Mike Russow at UFC 114 back on May 29. The Chicago cop was on the receiving end of a bona fide ass kicking for two rounds against Todd Duffee in their heavyweight mash-up, until a third round Scott Smith-style miracle knockout punch flattened his muscular foe. Russow slammed his own performance following the contest but should feel a little better about himself after collecting 65 G's for "Knockout of the Night." Best comeback ever? Or biggest collapse ever?

UFC 114 fighter salaries and paydays for 'Rampage vs Evans'

Posted: 30 May 2010 10:11 AM PDT

Ufc81-bonus_medium

The official fighter purses for those who competed at UFC 114: "Rampage vs. Evans" this past Saturday night (May 29) from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, were released earlier today by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (via MMA Fighting).

As expected, main event participant and former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Rashad Evans was the big earner of the night. "Suga" came away with a sweet $435,000 for his unanimous decision win over "Rampage" Jackson, who banked a not-too-shabby $250,000 in defeat.

Former Ultimate Fighter contestant/coach Michael Bisping also had a big night, pulling in $190,000 for his decision win over the venerable Dan Miller ($15,000). Not far behind him was the former PRIDE star Antonio Rogerio Nogueira ($120,000), who squeaked past Jason Brilz ($11,000) for a split decision victory.

Here is the complete list of UFC 114 payouts:

Rashad Evans -- $435,000 ($250,000 to show, $185,000 to win)
Quinton Jackson -- $250,000
Evans defeated Jackson via unanimous decision

Michael Bisping -- $190,000 ($175,000 to show, $15,000 to win)
Dan Miller -- $15,000
Bisping defeated Miller via unanimous decision

Mike Russow -- $24,000 ($12,000 to show, $12,000 to win)
Todd Duffee -- $12,000
Russow defeated Duffee via third round knockout

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira -- $120,000 ($80,000 to show, $40,000 to win)
Jason Brilz -- $11,000
Nogueira defeated Brilz via split decision

John Hathaway -- $22,000 ($11,000 to show, $11,000 to win)
Diego Sanchez -- $50,000
Hathaway defeated Sanchez via unanimous decision

Melvin Guillard -- $38,000 ($19,000 to show, $19,000 to win)
Waylon Lowe -- $6,000
Guillard defeated Lowe via first round knockout

Dong Hyun Kim -- $64,000 ($32,000 to show, $32,000 to win)
Amir Sadollah -- $15,000
Kim defeated Sadollah via unanimous decision

Efrain Escudero -- $30,000 ($15,000 to show, $15,000 to win)
Dan Lauzon -- $15,000
Escudero defeated Lauzon via unanimous decision

Cyrille Diabate -- $12,000 ($6,000 to show, $6,000 to win)
Luis Cane -- $19,000
Diabate defeated Cane via first round technical knockout

Aaron Riley -- $20,000 ($10,000 to show, $10,000 to win)
Joe Brammer -- $5,000
Riley defeated Brammer via unanimous decision

Ryan Jensen -- $16,000 ($8,000 to show, $8,000 to win)
Jesse Forbes -- $6,000
Jensen defeated Forbes via first round submission (guillotine choke)

Keep in mind the salaries listed above do not include fight bonuses, sponsorships, percentages and other unofficial payments. It also does not include deductions for expenses such as insurance, taxes, etc.

For example, the UFC often hands out extra cash for "Fight of the Night," "Knockout of the Night" and "Submission of the Night." To check out these figures for UFC 114 go here.

For complete results and coverage of "Rampage vs. Evans" click here and here.

UFC 114 "Rampage vs. Evans" by the numbers: -15,081 in attendance -3.895 million at the...

Posted: 30 May 2010 09:44 AM PDT

Jackson-evans-staredown

UFC 114 "Rampage vs. Evans" by the numbers:
-15,081 in attendance
-3.895 million at the gate
-850,000 projected PPV buys
-125,000 Fan Expo attendees

UFC Quick Quote: Power-punching Michael Bisping wants a Wanderlei Silva rematch

Posted: 30 May 2010 09:39 AM PDT

Bisping-punch_medium

"Wanderlei Silva said he wants a rematch with me. I would love a rematch. I feel now I'm starting to mature as a mixed martial artist. I'm coming into my own skill-wise and confidence-wise. I want to keep building on this (Dan Miller) win and hopefully, towards the end of the year or early next year, I'll get a title shot. I want to be the first Englishman to win the title. I was the first (Englishman) to win ‘The Ultimate Fighter' ... and I will be the first English world champion. As I said, (Miller) was very tough, very durable. I hit him with some big shots, but he was hungry. He wanted to win bad, and he hung in there. If you go speak to my Thai coach, my boxing coach, and my sparring partners, believe me, I hit with power. I haven't been getting knockouts lately. I think subconsciously I started fighting on my back foot because I was so worried about the takedown...and doing that you don't generate the same power."

Michael Bisping talks to the press (via Sherdog.com) after his UFC 114 win against Dan Miller on May 29 in a performance that saw the Brit execute a sharp striking attack that while effective, was unable to finish the crafty wrestler. "The Count" insists he has powerful punches, but subconsciously may have been swinging from his back foot to avoid the takedown. Was his performance impressive enough to warrant a rematch with Wanderlei Silva, who outpointed the former TUF star back in February? Or does he need a big finish to convince you he's ready? Thoughts?

John Hathaway ready for the next welterweight challenge after UFC 114 win over Diego Sanchez (Video)

Posted: 30 May 2010 08:34 AM PDT

UFC 114 FightMetric statistics for 'Nogueira vs Brilz' controversial split decision

Posted: 30 May 2010 07:42 AM PDT

Brilz-nog-fm-1_medium

Check out the grappling and total performance rating for "Nogueira vs. Brilz" and FightMetric's winner after the jump.

Brilz-nog-fm-2_medium

Brilz-nog-fm-3_medium

For UFC 114 results and recap of all the main card action from the MGM Grand click here and here. For a complete FightMetric breakdown of "Rampage vs. Evans" click here.

Rampage Jackson: 'I’m really ashamed of myself that I fell victim to ring rust'

Posted: 30 May 2010 07:25 AM PDT

Evans-shoots-rampage_medium

Props: Sherdog.com

Quoteworthy:

"I’m really ashamed of myself that I fell victim to ring rust. Emotions had nothing to do with it. I focused really hard and I trained really hard on this fight, but me having this damn movie and everything -- I kind of almost regret doing the damn movie now. There was so much pressure. (20th Century) Fox kind of threatened to sue me if I lost and everything because they didn’t know I was fighting. [Evans] had a great game plan, and it worked well for him. I’m not a sore loser. That’s why I commended him. We all come for the same cloth. We all put our lives on the line and get in the Octagon and do battle."

Quinton Jackson expresses disappointment over his performance in last night's UFC 114 main event. Despite nearly finishing him in the third and final round, "Rampage" was unable to overcome the quickness and strategy of Rashad Evans and ultimately dropped the unanimous decision to "Suga." The question now is, will Jackson stick around and keep fighting, driven by this loss to come back stronger? Or will he pack his bags and head for "The Hills" if and when his A-Team movie blows up?

Fanpost edited and promoted by MMAmania.com

UFC 114 video review on ESPN's 'MMA Live'

Posted: 30 May 2010 07:11 AM PDT

No comments:

Recent Articles on Sherdog.com

UFC rss

Recent Interviews on Sherdog.com